The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick said:
looks a lot like Beekeeper's skiff.......

I sent pictures of my U.J. seat and the "firewood" skiff you and Keith helped me with to the Uncle John site. He said he really liked it and would use the pictures, but he wanted a set of plans ready because there would be a demand for the boat. Seems to have generated some interest on this site. Chuck may have to add a "skiff" board. :lol:

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
skbilly said:
As soon as the kit is available (I don't have a table saw) I am going to build one of these. Not that i know anything, but are the bottom runners necessary? I am thinking a flat bottom would be nice on this. I am also thinking of a offset notch for a scull oar, any thoughts on this?

bysk-07_small.jpg

I was thinking about the same thing when I looked at the boat.
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
skbilly said:
As soon as the kit is available (I don't have a table saw) I am going to build one of these. Not that i know anything, but are the bottom runners necessary? I am thinking a flat bottom would be nice on this.

bysk-07_small.jpg

Be careful making changes, sometimes there are unseen consequences.I would not know how stiff the bottom needs to be for a power boat. "Gator" boats, designed for small outboards use 3/8" bottoms and floor strips for stiffeners.

http://www.gatorboats.com/images/Custom18.jpg

beekeeper

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
beekeeper said:
skbilly said:
As soon as the kit is available (I don't have a table saw) I am going to build one of these. Not that i know anything, but are the bottom runners necessary? I am thinking a flat bottom would be nice on this.

bysk-07_small.jpg

Be careful making changes, sometimes there are unseen consequences.I would not know how stiff the bottom needs to be for a power boat. "Gator" boats, designed for small outboards use 3/8" bottoms and floor strips for stiffeners.

http://www.gatorboats.com/images/Custom18.jpg

beekeeper

Good call. I'd probably have to increase the thickness of the floor to 3/8" too in the event I wanted to use an outboard.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
those runners on the bottom will help stiffen it up although the inside ribs should do most of that

they also will protect the bottom from wear and tear particularly if you're dragging it where there's rocks or other hard objects - even rocks in the bed of the pickup truck :D

if you're going to use a motor - and anywhere above hull speed - you need the runners to keep the boat tracking when you turn

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
oldsparkey wrote:
"Just some streams to cross when building it and about what or how to do it. Only thing I am sure of is it will be a lot easier to go up river loaded with camping and fishing gear. Park the Jeep , hop in the boat and go places I have not been in a long time. Then either paddle or row returning and if bad weather moves in , or getting in a hurry use the single ( gas Operated) paddle on the transom."

Chuck, that's what I had in mind when I built that guide canoe, or freighter, that I used on the Everglades trip that you, Mac, John Depa and I made a couple of years ago. It can carry two people and a ton (almost literally) of gear and cover a lot of miles on very little gas with a 4 hp motor. The skiff looks like it would serve the same purpose well.

Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Paddlin'Gator said:
Chuck, that's what I had in mind when I built that guide canoe, or freighter, that I used on the Everglades trip that you, Mac, John Depa and I made a couple of years ago. It can carry two people and a ton (almost literally) of gear and cover a lot of miles on very little gas with a 4 hp motor. The skiff looks like it would serve the same purpose well.

Joe

Joe , that is what I am thinking , your canoe moved along really easy like , even keeping up with Mac's boat and his larger motor. Use it to get there , then paddle or row for stealth ( quiet) . Have the best of both worlds in one boat.
It took us less then half a day to get to the campsite and if we would of been only paddling it would of been a good two and a half day trip.

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Probably for "most" trips a trolling motor would give one enough range, with less noise than an outboard. The motor and battery would be heavy, but the boat would not need to be as rigid or heavy as for an outboard. Adding either will decrease the safe capacity and room for passengers and gear. Every boat is a compromise. The skiff with an outboard could be a nice fishing rig or just plain fun for a young person as a starter boat. I'm looking forward to seeing the boats.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Light Keeper's Kid said:
Does the Model have a total build weight yet?

Mike

He just posted this. Not a total weight but an idea of what the weight will be.
The basic boat, with 1/4" bottom with runners, without seats, fiber glass, paint, or the dry storage compartment weighs 55 pounds.

I'm thinking about 80 when totally done for the way I would like to make one , it will be all glassed , with two seats. Also a short deck with open storage , not closed. My feelings would not be hurt if it weighed less and it could , never know till it is sitting there.
What the heck a small , inexpensive , trailer from Harbor Freight will take 650 pounds since I don't plan on car topping it on the Jeep like I do with the boats. The upside is I can use the trailer for the other boats if I need to take more then one. Plus the wife was not enthusiastic about my idea of carrying it in the back of her truck , which would be ideal. :wink:

Chuck.
:lol: :lol: :lol: She's not really thrilled about me making another boat. :roll:

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Hmmm, Think UJ can get the plans done and I can get it built before the 15th of this month? :lol: Going from goodland to hog key for the honeymoon and this would save about 12 miles of paddling! :mrgreen: Naaa, bet I'm paddling.......
I like it!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Any news? When I go to the U.J. site directly I can't find anything about the skiff. (probably overlooking something) I was wondering if it is generating much interest other places, besides Southern Paddler. I like mine and hope the plans will be available so others can build one and enjoy. The skiff has a lot to offer.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I can't locate it either, the other two skiffs are there but not the 14 ' one..... but when I click on this http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14/ to go in the back door it is there.
I guess he is getting a feel for the boat before posting it on his main page with all the builders he knows. Might say working the bugs out and making sure everything is just right before going public.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
swamprat said:
Uncle John just sent out an email saying the plans are ready. I already ordered mine :mrgreen: Now all I got to do is get thru this wedding, and hunting season and I can start making sawdust!

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here is what I received.........

The plans are 'up for sale'. check the bottom of http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/

I'm not going to add it into my site until I have photos of the finished boat (week or so). Also, lots of work adding it to my site and I want to introduce it to your guys.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Swamprat.... Ya said ...... Going from goodland to hog key for the honeymoon and this would save about 12 miles of paddling! :mrgreen: Naaa, bet I'm paddling.......
Looks like you will be paddling on your honeymoon. Happy Paddling. :wink:

Myself ..... I want a kit so I have to hold off a while longer ( till the 1st part of December ) , but the plans are ready and you can click on there to order a set or (to view a set of full building plans (measurements omitted) )

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From what Uncle John told me .... 5 hp at the max ( He told me , 3 but if someone wanted to 5 could be used but he recommends less then that ) So ... I decided I will split the difference with a 4.
I have been told it will hold more then that , just depends on how the builder does it and wants to accept the responsibility for it by stepping outside the recommended limits.

Personally I think a 4 would be plenty since it is nothing more then a Pirogue on steroids.... Anyway that is how I have been referred to it on the back channels. A 4 would shove this light weight boat along at a good clip , even if you went completely nuts and built it at a 100 pound limit.

The way I see it , the lesser HP , the lighter the motor , less in cost for it ,less in fuel consumption needed to run it , less in everything but pushing it along. Plus there is a side benefit , a lot of the States Lakes around here will not let anything over 9.9 on them.
I can see where in the near future where some will even reduced that HP.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The way I see it.........

Build the boat at 80 pounds or less...

Drop on a 4 hp motor at 55 pounds...( 3 1/2 weighs 35 pounds) . Combined weight with me in it with the boat at 100 pounds is 359 pounds with the 4 hp one , plus the small gas can. That depends on how much gas you need as far as the weight. No idea on my part. :oops:

Camping gear ... Might be 200 pounds with everything including a weeks worth of water and food , probably less.
My small canoe or the pirogues handle that camping load with no problem with this as a wider pirogue and a motor on it should draft less or at the max the same amount of water to float it as the boats I paddle without a motor .... About 3 inches with the load balanced.

So 559 pounds ( Providing the boat weighs 100 pounds ), with a 4 hp pushing it....... No Problem. 1 Hp for every 137 pounds. Can you say ... Hold on to your hat .....see you later Gator. :lol:

Chuck...
PS ... I am figuring on the heavy side for everything , rather error on the side of caution.