The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam. | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
In the links you posted about the HP for a Croc and the guys talking about motors on the Gator Boats Forum.
As the one guy said..............
Speed shouldn't ever be an issue when looking at motors that size. It really is about not having to paddle long distances. There are very few spots around here I would want to paddle either of my boat to, even a canoe isn't fun. With that, the 2hp gas motor will get me a long ways.

A reply by another person to his post.............................. asking about a 5 hp.
I just want it to go with plenty of power to get around with ease. Like getting to safety or to a fishing spot with out taking all day.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am not going to down load all there info to see what the length of the Croc is but it looks shorter then the Bayou Skiff at 14 so a small motor should push it along pretty good. The length and width of the bottom makes a big difference.

Plus I have to disagree with the one guy , Paddling a canoe is fun and lots of it.... Two different boats for two different purposes.

Chuck.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Showing my ignorance here, but I'm curious-

Will a small motor, 3-5 HP, bring this boat up on a plane, or will it just plough through the water?

What is the expected speed?

Mike

I would say that this boat is more a backwater skiff were speed isn't a great need,because of stumps and possable skinny water. Which high HP isn't needed,unlike just traveling to a spot with high HP and then trolling or paddling in backwater spots. Two differant types of Boats :idea:

Mike

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Light Keeper's Kid said:
I would say that this boat is more a backwater skiff were speed isn't a great need,because of stumps and possable skinny water. Which high HP isn't needed,unlike just traveling to a spot with high HP and then trolling or paddling in backwater spots. Two differant types of Boats :idea:

Mike

I understand that, but I'm still curious about the performance questions I asked.

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mike said:
Showing my ignorance here, but I'm curious-

Will a small motor, 3-5 HP, bring this boat up on a plane, or will it just plough through the water?

What is the expected speed?

Mike

We are into conjecture and guessing at this point. I would be doing an injustice by guessing at it at this time. Best to put it on the back burner and wait till one of the Bayou Skiffs is made and can be run with a GPS Unit to see what the speed of it is.
Like Light Keeper's Kid said , it is a backwater boat where you do not want to fly along because of underwater obstacles. Open water , it would be nice to cover that and then grandpa along or better yet paddle.
One thing I feel safe in saying is that you would cover more water , a lot easier and faster then paddling or rowing or even sailing it.
My use would be dropping it in at a place , then motoring up river to where I want to camp , camp and for the fun , paddle back , open water or a strong currant then use the motor..... Can you tell I'm getting lazy. :lol:

Chuck.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
Light Keeper's Kid said:

I don't want to presume to speak for Uncle John, but from looking at the photos of the prototype build it certainly looks like he intends it to be a displacement hull, not planing, to be used like Light Keeper's Kid described. A narrow bottom aft and some rocker in that area, which it looks like it has in the photos, are desirable at slower speeds, but not for planing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Paddlin'Gator said:
Light Keeper's Kid said:

I don't want to presume to speak for Uncle John, but from looking at the photos of the prototype build it certainly looks like he intends it to be a displacement hull, not planing, to be used like Light Keeper's Kid described. A narrow bottom aft and some rocker in that area, which it looks like it has in the photos, are desirable at slower speeds, but not for planing.

Joe , you and I are on the same thoughts........
Darn... It is just something to get up stream with , without paddling when I go camping/fishing by myself or one other person. Guess I need to forget pulling water skiers. :lol: :lol:

You might call it a geezer comfort boat ,( everyone knows geezers do not get in a hurry) definitely not a speed boat by any stretch of the imagination. One factor , a nice light weight one that can be slipped in the back of a truck ( or car topped or trailered ) for a days fishing or just goofing off that can have a motor attached to it. I still say the little motor sure would be better then paddling up stream or against a current , just putting along a lot faster then paddling against everything.

The 4 stroke is a nice and quiet motor with no stink , you can even have a conversation with your buddy while running that motor. Plus the gas can be used in your vehicle or lawn mower so it does not spoil like the 2 stroke gas does when not used , if you can't get out for a while.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
If I wanted to get there fast I'd own a speed boat instead of a canoe. If I were to build one of these it would get an electric, so still no speed. The performance questions are just a matter of curiosity with me.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mike said:
If I wanted to get there fast I'd own a speed boat instead of a canoe. If I were to build one of these it would get an electric, so still no speed. The performance questions are just a matter of curiosity with me.

Uncle John and I were kicking that around , he (In a joking manner) suggested a solar panel on the front deck to charge the battery for the trolling motor. Makes seance to me but most of my time on the water it is overcast or raining for some reason. :wink:

Not beating a dead Horse but my idea is this.... Take the Everglades and when you file a float plan. You have to be from one ground site to the other each day , same as with the chickees. ( Some are 2 or 3 day sites ) They are on the average a days paddle apart or around 10 to 12 miles depending on the tidal flow , usually against you. :roll: So a paddle gets up , packs and leaves early then paddles all day to reach the next campsite to set up for the night , then fix supper and relax as the sun sets in the west.

A small , light weight boat ( That can be paddled , rowed or sailed ) with a little motor on it ... The camper sleeps in , relaxes , has a couple cups of tea or coffee , then packs and takes out. If some fish are feeding along the way , he stops and fishes since he knows he will be at the next stop a lot quicker , about a quarter of the time or less of when he paddled it , last time. He gets to the campsite , sets up camp and has daylight to burn , he goes fishing by rowing or paddling or even trolling , then back to the camp with some fish if the fish cooperate.

Not sure about anyone but I see a lot more relaxation in the latter part of this description. As I have said .. Different boats for different uses.... I will have and keep the canoe , pirogues and kayaks for use in a different way. All of them offer different styles of use and fun.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
oldsparkey said:
Darn... It is just something to get up stream with , without paddling when I go camping/fishing by myself or one other person. Guess I need to forget pulling water skiers. :lol: :lol:

Yep,we are thinking alike on that, Chuck. The skiff, at 100 pounds or less, could easily be rolled from your vehicle to the water by one person with nothing more than a canoe dolly or something similar - no ramp needed. The four stroke engines are clean and quiet, but since I already have a 4 hp two stroke, it will have to do for now. My only concern about the skiff is when just one person is doing a day trip, sitting in the back to run the outboard and with only some fishing gear, that it may trim down a lot in the stern/up in the bow.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Your are 100% correct.......Been there and had that happen. The nose sure jumps up , a lot , with all the weight in the back.

I can do like I did with the one square stern canoe , drop a 5 gallon water jug in the bow for weight. Just fill it with river water and when you get back , dump it. Or just pack everything forward , after all you can walk around in this one. :D

Chuck.
PS. Or a cooler full of ice and some beverages ( Liquid) for a day on the water. :lol:

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I'm not so sure it wouldn't plane out. I'll know a bit more when I get the plans but it sure looks allot like a gheenoe. Chuck and I both know what those little boats will do with a 5 or 10 hp on it! :mrgreen: But at any rate, I plan on using it about like everybody else. Little 3 or 4 hp kicker and a sail rig. As far as seating arrangements with one aboard. Just put in a removable seat in the middle of the boat and use a tiller extension.Might make all the seats removable so one can use bodys as ballast when sailing.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
I guess we will know soon how it performs with a motor hung on the back. There shouldn't be any doubt that it will be very good with a small motor.

Using a tiller extension is an option, but the gear lever is out of reach to quickly go to neutral if you need to. Chuck's idea of a forward trim tank (one or two five gallon buckets with tops) is one easy solution.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Get rid of the rocker , have a flat bottom and you can zip along like these folks do. Just plans for it , no kits are available and yes when or if you take a look they are all wood boats.

http://www.unclejohns.com/jonboat/photos/Default.htm

I like the Bayou Skiff so that is the direction I plan on going , a Jon boat with a 9.9 on the back does scoot along really well... I had one many , many years ago , not a wood one.

Swamprat... A gheenoe with a 9.9 it is a running canoe , Had one of my own and one as a patrol boat for the department. Darn thing weighed a ton , I car topped it on a Jeep Wagoner , you know one of those Jeeps built like a bus and just a high. :lol:

The Skiff reminds me of the very 1st boat I ever had , way back there in the dark ages and what a boat it was. It will be nice to step in a boat that can take me back in time over 55 years. :D

Chuck.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
oldsparkey said:
Get rid of the rocker , have a flat bottom and you can zip along like these folks do. Just plans for it , no kits are available and yes when or if you take a look they are all wood boats.
oldsparkey said:
The Skiff reminds me of the very 1st boat I ever had , way back there in the dark ages and what a boat it was.

Another way of saying "choose a design that is right for the kind of performance you want from your boat." I'm with you ,Chuck. The skiff, or that type of design, is well suited to the kind of use I would see for it - moderate speed, the ability to get into the backwaters, easily transported and launched.

When I was about 11 or 12 we bought a very similar boat, maybe a little wider bottom at the stern. We ran a six hp motor on it which was more than enough. That boat made a lot of trips up and down the Ocklawaha before the Rodman dam was put in. It was perfect for that kind of use.

Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Paddlin'Gator said:
When I was about 11 or 12 we bought a very similar boat, maybe a little wider bottom at the stern. We ran a six hp motor on it which was more than enough. That boat made a lot of trips up and down the Ocklawaha before the Rodman dam was put in. It was perfect for that kind of use.

Joe

:lol: I ended up with a Martin 7 1/2 on mine back then , that was some motor. It could do something none of them can do today.
When you were done on the water you lifted up the foot of the motor , released a lever and swung it around and inside the boat , resting it on the back seat. None of the motor was left in or above the water. The power head stayed above the transom and pivoted as the foot was swung around.
Dad had a 20 hp Martin on his boat and I always wondered what it would do one my little boat. Dads boat was a long nosed , decked over , all wood , Swift , if anyone remembers them from the 50's.

Paddlin'Gator

Feb 2, 2008
Tequesta, FL
oldsparkey said:
:lol: I ended up with a Martin 7 1/2 on mine back then , that was some motor.
oldsparkey said:
Dad had a 20 hp Martin on his boat and I always wondered what it would do one my little boat. Dads boat was a long nosed , decked over , all wood , Swift , if anyone remembers them from the 50's.

My motor was an Elgin (sold by Sears Roebuck) and it weighed about as much as a present day 10 or 15 hp. It was always cranky as hell to start, but it was what I had. Later, when I was about 16, I bought a Speedliner with an Evinrude SpeedTwin opposed piston outboard and a homemade trailer for $100. Totally opposite kind of boat from the skiff.

Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since we got a slight bit off channel about the Skiff.

I will come clean and say why I want one , besides it reminding me of the boat of my youth.

Take an old goat like me , all sorts of restrictions placed on my by the heart doc's. Hell one paddling trip my defibrillator was armed and set to go off 13 times while making it to where we wanted to camp a short 6 miles away against a really strong current ..Thank God I took some breaks on that trip.. When it blasts me it is no fun , if you think the guys in the movies jump when the paddles are on them , have one implanted in you , it delivers a lot more ( about twice) and it aint no fun , nice since it restarts the heart but still no fun. It sure does get your attention , trust me on that.

The days of being 26 are over and I know it...... Now it is the brain and not the mussels that have to do the work.

If I can have a boat to use for my enjoyment that will take me fishing , camping or just out farting around , all the better. If it can be used with a motor , sailed , rowed or paddled that is a dream come true.

I want to camp on a river where I would of put a boat in and paddled down to in the past without thinking of going back upstream. ..... I can put this one in and motor up , camp along the river , then do the same going down it. Say the Suwannee River ... No portage around Big Shoals , motor up from the Spirit of the Suwannee , camp then paddle back. Or to reverse it put in at Griffins Fish Camp at the Swamp .... Float and camp down to the Shoals and then motor back up camping along the way.

Same thing at swamprats favorite river ..... go either direction from the campground , up or down stream and come back with ease. Cheat with the motor going one way , paddle , drift or row the other. Or any other river I would want to enjoy.

My objective is not speed but reliability in a gas powered paddle to get there or back , depending on the water flow. The easy way down or back would preferably be with a good wood paddle. Either way , it is slow to go , enjoy life , see what is around me and just soak it all in since there is no rush to get anywhere at any time. Retired life is GREAT. :D

I'm not getting older , No Sir , No Way , Just Smarter. :wink:

Chuck.
PS... I will still do river trips with Canoes or Pirogues and friends ..... One way , down stream. 8)