The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam. | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not familure with that motor ........But.
It should make a good gas paddle to use to get somewhere and better yet while going to where you wanted to fish you could troll while getting there , doubling the fishing time.

Uncle John added some more pictures of the guys glassed and epoxy graphited on the bottom , gives you an slight idea of the size of the skiff.
cloth_small.jpg

http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Uncle John posted some more pictures , they are of his guys glassing the inside seams of the boat and it gives me a good idea of the boat.

cloth-fit.jpg

I asked John if it was going to stay the natural wood and he said they are thinking of painting it. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed boat.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
crazycajunmike said:
Just a question about this new skiff......any estimate about how much weigh it will carry ? I really like the looks and agreed it would make one fantastic stripper

That has not been mentioned , I'm sure it will be a part of the completed information when the boat is done. Keep in mind we are seeing the construction of the 1st one as it progresses. :D :D

Chuck.
Looks like by the weekend , if everything goes as planned , that information will be available.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
reckon it has a very similar footprint as a 32" bottom aluminum bateau

Here's a couple of sets of specs on aluminum bateaus

■Length: 13' 6"
■Beam: 45"
■Transom Height: 15"
■Bottom Width: 32"
■Max. Recommended HP: 6 HP
■Max. Person Capacity: 3 Persons
■Max. Person Weight: 325 Lbs.
■Max. Weight Capacity: 440 Lbs.
■Hull Material: 0.043 5052 Marine Alloy
■Weight (approx.): 120 Lbs.

■Length: 12' 0"
■Beam: 45"
■Transom Height: 15"
■Bottom Width: 32"
■Max. Recommended HP: 6 HP
■Max. Person Capacity: 3 Persons
■Max. Person Weight: 325 Lbs.
■Max. Weight Capacity: 440 Lbs.
■Hull Material: 0.043 5052 Marine Alloy
■Weight (approx.): 100 Lbs.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Sasquatch 14' x 30" canoe ( By JEM Watercraft) I have been using will take up to 400 pounds aboard her ( recommended max amount ) but I would bet she could handle more. The 30" on the canoe is the widest part of the canoe , not the width of the bottom of the boat which is rounded.
The Bayou Skiff is a lot wider and flatter on the hull and the same length , judging from that , it will take all my gear , an outboard ( Mercury 4 stroke at 3.5 hp weighs 38 pounds , I think I might even go less HP then that , not sure , will have to ask the experts *** ) and myself in it with out any problems. I'm basing this conclusion from what I pack in the canoe. I should even be able to take an ice chest with a lot of goodies in it , both food and beverages.

Kicking things around in my head , it can be rowed , paddled , or sailed and even have a motor on it. Something else and that is some of the water we paddled in the past in the Okefenokee Swamp and other low water areas , it was pushing the pirogue or canoes with a paddle because it was to low to paddle. In the Skiff I should be able to stand ( with confidence ) and use a push pole in those areas.
As I said just kicking things around in my head and will have to build one to see how it works. :wink:

There have been some questions about making a wider pirogue in different articles.
The Standard Uncle John Pirogues I have made are 24 inches on the bottom with a width/beam of 31 inches , the length depends on the builder.
The Skiff is 8 inches wider ( 32 1/2) on the bottom and 12 inches wider ( 43 ) on the beam and the length is determined. This is not a ski boat but as I have referred about it to Uncle John in a joking manner , A Pirogue on Steroids with a lot of options. :D

Chuck.
*** By the way , My U.J. Pirogue scoots along really good with me taking life easy. Most humans can exert only less than one-half horsepower for a duration of a few minutes. Taking that into consideration a small HP Motor on the Bayou Skiff would be the nuts since my rating should be 1/4 or less during the day when paddling. More like 1/8th.

4x4kayak2112

Nov 12, 2009
As soon as it get completed with pics, im buying the plans and making me one for my river runner....

i wonder how good it will run with a 30 or 45 LB thrust trolling motor?

the only thing that scares me is the 12 inch sides.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Received this email from Uncle John........ As normal you can click on the pictures to enlarge them and I think they answer a lot of questions anyone might have.

Chuck.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Put her in the water today, paddled, rowed and sank. I've added a few photos to http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14 Everything exceeds my expatiations. Amazingly stable, paddled great even with the runners. I have over 500 photos to sort through but wanted to throw a few on my page for all to see and to answer the capacity question. I think you'll like my T-shirt. Selected it just for you!
( :lol: :lol: :lol: , It is one of the original 12 Oldsparkey "T" Shirts I had made for the original 12 members on here when we started the original [ 1st ] web site.... Chuck. )

Sank the boat! 222 gallons @ 8.35 pounds per gallon = 1853.7 pounds *.3 (USCG formula) = displacement rating of 556.11 pounds.
John.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
skbilly said:
Come on kit!!!!!!!!! :D

If you take a good look at the 1st picture with the three of them in the skiff ( enlarge it so you can see better) The water does not cover the graphite strip on the side which is about 2 or 2 1/2 inches up the side. This is going to be one shallow water boat.

As I told Uncle John in a email .... with some oar locks in front of the third or middle seat a person in the boat can row looking forward and with some behind the middle seat , then turn around while looking back to row all the time balancing the boat out.

With a 2nd person in there he can be in the back seat and row looking forward with that arraignment of oar locks in the boat , an ideal way to go down river fishing. Or just use a canoe paddle with two guys for drift fishing.

Have the rear set of oar locks about where the guy in the back ( Jason ) has has paddle across the skiff.
three-standing_small.jpg

It will not enlarge on here ... go to http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14 to see the enlargement.

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Looking good! I've laready purchased the plans and they are very nice. I'm assuming that the kit will be the ribs and transom like the pirogue kit? Theres a bunch of bevels to cut and I don't own a table saw. Hmmm, buy the kit or a table saw? Decisions decisions...... :twisted:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep... I had the privilege of seeing the plans in the drawing stage and they are complete , heck Uncle John even included some of my ideas in them. :roll:
Looking forward to the kit for when I build mine , if it is like the pirogue kit there should be everything there that requires the difficult cuts to make everything fit together. Not even thinking of chasing the wood down to do it , just go out and get three sheets of plywood and build a boat. Especially since I don't have a table saw and only use hand tools to make my boats.
Naturally Larry at Raka will like my order for the epoxy and fiberglass to make the boat waterproof. :lol: Heck that is just a necessary part of building a wood boat for me.

We will have more information about the kit in a couple of weeks when things get worked out about it. As with all good things in the construction process , it takes some time to finalize it. :D

Not to change the subject..... BUT........
By the way , I checked your web site , Fort White for the weather and the rest , I would of thought it would of been the Fisheating Creek area. I checked the water level in the creek a few days ago , Man it is low as it can go on there diagram.
http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=plmf1.

Chuck.
If you missed what we are talking about then back up one page , go down to the almost bottom and take a look , some new pictures and information.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just a personal thought from me.

Thinking about this thread on the Bayou Skiff.
My guess is that is why wives don't want there husbands on this forum , we have to many good folks who are willing to help us in the quest for a wood boat.

There is Uncle John http://www.unclejohns.com/ who has the traditional swamp boats which are easy to make and fun to use.
Then there is Matt http://www.jemwatercraft.com/ with traditional designs and lots of modern ones , even customized ones for us to make. You dream it up and he designs it for you.
Now we have the Louisianan guys , http://www.keithspirogues.com/ Keith and Seedtick who make custom ordered boats from sinker cypress.
Then the Skin On Frame Kayaks by nobucks http://www.blackdogkayaks.com for a light weight traditional kayak to enjoy.

If I have missed anyone else please except my apology and lack of memory. :oops:
All of the guys are some great folks who go out of there way to help a builder when he is working on his boat and they even are on here to help that person or anyone else. I dare you to find a boat designer that goes further then they should and are so willing to help someone anywhere else.
Then there are all the guys who have built boats and stand willing to answer questions when they come along.
It has taken a while to gain all of these great guys ( Members ) and that is a blessing for everyone who has a question. If you can't find the wooden boat you want to build from the folks on this forum , you better get a plastic one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK .. Back to the thread like it should be , I should not of strayed from the subject , about a new boat for our pleasure.

Chuck.

Jul 29, 2009
Rogers Arkansas
oldsparkey said:
It looks like the kit will be ready in a couple of weeks , they have some things to do before posting everything on there web site. Remember , we have been privileged to be part of the process of watching the building of this boat and then it needs to be posted on his web site for the general public to see.... The only way anyone is going to see it right now is on here ( or his private mailing list ) as things are being done and until everything will be ready to go public.

Chuck.

I reckon this is one of the perks for being a member of this esteemed Forum......I for one have already ordered and recieved the plans from Uncle John for the new Bayou Skiff...........Now Chuck thats what I call clout

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I removed the picture of the kit since it could not be brought up by you guys , along with the posts about it.

Here is the explanation of what is in the kit...........
The kit will contain four rib sets, stem, transom and building plans. The stem and rib sets will be made from cypress and the transom from 3/4" exterior plywood.

Chuck.