The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam. | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Bayou Skiff is 14' long, 32 1/2" bottom, 43" beam.

Jul 29, 2009
Rogers Arkansas
Chuck I think the new skiff is great....should be a real winner.....I alraedy have a set of the build plans but waiting on the kit......I have a question what was the final weight on the Bayou Skiff.....you know how much weight will I be looking at to load, transport and unload the Bayou Skiff.......THANKS for the heads up on the developement of this boat...this forum is really on the cutting edge of what is goinfg on......Thanks to the folks that make up the Old Sparkey Forum ...really good helpful people......

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Uncle John added some more pictures of the skiff , here is one of them that shows the boat being rowed from the middle seat.

row-3_small.jpg

Click here for the rest.
http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/

Uncle John also has a suggestion for the transom if you want a motor on it , If you wanted to build up the part where the motor would be attached or clamped down.
" Also, if I was starting over I'd laminate 1/4" lauan on both sides of the transom and use a clear finish. One could buy 3/4" lauan, but you can't buy a cut sheet, it's 4x8 or nothing. And if you want to run a motor 3/4 + 10 mm of lauan would give you a beefed up transom."

The transom from 3/4" exterior plywood is included with the kit.

Chuck.
PS. There is spare 1/4 inch Luann left over from the sheets you need for the boat.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
dunno what's in the final design plans, but if i were to hang a motor off the transom, i'd sister another set of ribs at the transom just to aid the 1/4" sides to edge grain plywood joint.

here again just my opinion........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
seedtick said:
dunno what's in the final design plans, but if i were to hang a motor off the transom, i'd sister another set of ribs at the transom just to aid the 1/4" sides to edge grain plywood joint.

here again just my opinion........

I don't know if John put them in the final plans but we were talking about that. The one I want to build will have two 1/4 inch pieces of plywood on the transom , one on each side to build it up , where the motor will sit. I also plan on running a couple of dog legs down the inside of the transom and onto the bottom of the hull ( Inside) to beef it up some more.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well the kit is no longer in the back of Mr.Browns ( UPS) delivery truck , it is right here with me. Off to the Home Depot for the wood Saturday. :D

It feels good knowing I am starting another boat. Have ideas for it and it will be interesting to see what happens , nothing radical. As I told Uncle John , this one I am going to do a little differently and take some time on it. I think I have worn out the Google section on this computer looking for the stuff to use. :lol:

Florida builders ****, if you stop by the tag ( or tax collectors ) office and ask for a .... VESSEL STATEMENT OF BUILDER [ HSMV 87002 ( Rev.04-09 ) ] .... for a homemade vessel it has all the blanks to be filled in by you , plus describes what you need to have to get the boat registered and titled with the state.
Main one is to attach copies of the bill of sale for the materials in building it.
**** If you plan on putting a motor on it , it has to be registered and titled with the state and this form will let you do that.

Chuck.
PS. Since this is 14 feet it does not need to be physically inspected by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission , only boats 16 feet and longer have to be inspected to get registered and titled.

skbilly

Oct 12, 2009
Kansas
It feels good knowing I am starting another boat. Have ideas for it and it will be interesting to see what happens , nothing radical. As I told Uncle John , this one I am going to do a little differently and take some time on it. I think I have worn out the Google section on this computer looking for the stuff to use. :lol:

Sounds good to me, I'll just let the old pro figure it out, and then I'll just follow suite. :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
skbilly said:

Sounds good to me, I'll just let the old pro figure it out, and then I'll just follow suite. :mrgreen:

Dam....I never know where or what I am going to do from one day to the other when building a boat , I let it tell me. Then I change my mind more then my wife changes her shopping list. ( I gathered from what you said .... OLD .... You meant me forgetting the pro stuff ) :lol:

The great thing is all of us are on different thoughts and then the same boat we make are as as individual as we are. That is the fun of making it your way while following the way to make it. Guide posts are great guide lines on how to make it.

As I like to say , Not all of us drive Fords , some of us like different models and go with them since they fit our individual life style. That is the spice of life. With that all of us can enjoy what that person has done and use or forget it when we build the boat....... Personally , I like to use most of there ideas and forget some. Such is life but I use more then forgetting them. :D

Most of the ideas that have come to me are from the folks on here by going back and reading stuff already posted , forget Google , they are always ( and a lot of other web bots ) looking at us for ideas. :lol:

Chuck.
PS ... Yep , have come up with several ideas to use.