The Secret Project , a New Kayak from Jem Watercraft. | SouthernPaddler.com

The Secret Project , a New Kayak from Jem Watercraft.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Secret Project is done and now I can let everyone know what I have been working on. :D

As with all of the plans from JEM Watercraft the plans are designed by Matt , then made by Matt or one of his Design Reviewers / builders before the plans are made available to the boat building and paddling public. :D

Made, tested and tried , then they are available for your enjoyment.

The Freedom, will be available in three sizes (In a short while) and this one is the longest version of the Freedom Series at this time.

:D The FREEDOM Kayak By JEM Watercraft

Designed by Matt Langenfeld , JEM Watercraft http://www.jemwatercraft.com

Built by Chuck (Oldsparkey) Littelton , southernpaddler.com (This is Super Secret Boat that only a few of us knew about while in the building stage)

The bow is 13 inches in height
*The stern is 10 inches in height
*The center is 8 1/2 inches in height
***All three of the above measurements are without the deck on it which will add several more inches to the center height (also from the work table to the top of there wood)

The width across the top of the center line is 29 inches
The width across the top of the #2 panels is 25 inches
The width across the bottom is 19 inches

The length from the rear bulkhead (hatch) to the stern is 74 inches , 12 inches high and 29 inches wide graduating down to a point (the Stern) , for dry and critter free storage.
When camping the coons (Camp Robbing Critters) can't get in there.

The length for the front bulkhead (pass thru) is what ever you want from where you are sitting and 13 inches high, also the widest is 29 inches graduating down to a point (the Bow) .
Check this area for coons in the morning before leaving the camp.

I did some things differently on this boat ..........

1... I glassed the outside of the hull with 7.50 glass in place of using the tight woven 3.25 oz glass on the outside and inside, speaking of the inside ...... Epoxy saturation and that is all , 4 coats of epoxy.

2... Epoxy saturating of the plywood add's about 4 times the strength to it over plain exposed wood. It soaks in there and adds a lot of strength.

3... By doing the outside with the 7.50 oz glass I added one ounce more of glass to where the problems would happen. Hitting mermaids, gators, logs, Kayak Jack, stumps .... all of those navigation problems when paddling that want to damage your boat from the .............OUTSIDE

4...By doing this I am trying to keep the weight down on the boat ..... If this is posable............. since the outside of the deck is going to get 6 oz glass on it. "O" Well it is just something to try and see how it works.
If'n ya don't try it then ya will never know.
The way I built this prototype it weighs 40 pounds by using 1/8th inch plywood.

5... The rear bulkhead was cut out and turned into a hatch / bulkhead area for secure storage.
freedom%20046.jpg

6... The forward bulkhead was also cut out but left that way as a pass thru for dry storage of camping gear.
freedom%20050.jpg

I have been posting a ton of pictures on the progress (step by step) of this boat in a secured section on Matts Forum so when it was done I just had to have som fun with him or at his expence...... That is just me ........

Besides I think is is COOL.... Never trust a nut with a computer and PHOTOSHOP......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
freedom-064.jpg

Here is what it really looks like..................
freedom%20068.jpg

freedom%20069.jpg

freedom%20071.jpg

A speedy looking boat even when sitting still , shallow draft also. :D
freedom%20073.jpg

Some fillet work on the stern just to add something to it.
freedom%20075.jpg

Same with the bow.............
freedom%20076.jpg

Same thing with the insides area................
freedom%20077.jpg

The Freedom at 15 1/2 feet.......... This one is MINE ... Make your own. :D
freedom%20078.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... The Freedom, will be available in three sizes (In a short while) and this one is the longest version of the Freedom Series at this time....
Is one of'em gonna be ironclad?

"Enemy frigate sneaking in off the starboard bow, gunney."
"Aye, got'im in me sights, Cap'n."
"Fire when ready, Gridley."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
... The Freedom, will be available in three sizes (In a short while) and this one is the longest version of the Freedom Series at this time....
Is one of'em gonna be ironclad?

Only for you ...Jack.... since you like to hit rocks and capsize when padling. Plus I really want to see you potage it when I get up there and paddle / camp with you.

NO..... Heck even before then when you come down here and paddle and camp with me in all the Gators and snakes out in that swamp. That will cure you ideas of ... I would rather be swimming then paddling. Besides it is Illegal to feed those critters and I sure would not want then to get sick while having you as a snack...

I still like this one .....It is just ME :D .....
freedom-064.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
While building this one I was thinking it would make a good boat for the Canada trip, since it is a good combination between a canoe and a kayak. Just right for paddling those waters that Jack likes.

If I have trouble deciding later on, the one neighbor works for Cobia boats (delivers new boats to dealers) and has one of those really long boat trailers that will take three oversize (off shore) inboards on so he might lone it to me for the trip, then I can have some of my boats with me to chose from. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well I have more work to do on the Freedom..... I just ordered the set that will do both decks from Pygmy Boats ..........Osprey Double & Triple $23.00

Drigging4.JPG

Solo: 20 feet of shock cord, 10 strap eyes, 1 stainless shock cord clip, 16 stainless machine screws, nuts and washers. Double and Triple come with 32 feet of shock cord. This is enough to make a figure 8 pattern fore and aft of the cockpit, and a paddle park at the bow.

I like then and use them on my Coho by Pygmy Boats, so why not have the same on the Freedom. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I use the Coho the compass is slid under the cords on the front deck so it is in plain view. One cord over the front of its base and the rear crisis crossing cords over the extended base on the back side of it.

When I mounted it on its base, I made it so it would be transferable to another angled decked kayak and it fits on the Freedom like it was made for it.

The front of the compass and its base.

freedom%20080.jpg

The back side (slightly fuzzy ) in this photo.

freedom%20081.jpg

Chuck.

islandpiper

Sparky........wow.......I'm speechless. But, need some clarification......is this the kayak I started the thread on some time back? Matt calls it some funny Indian name on his site.......but, it sure does look like the original design for that one.

Looks great. Makes me wish I was retired like you ....or a re-tread like Kayak Jack!! heh heh heh

Nice job....and I love the Photoshop paint job.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
Okwata is a different one than this.

Piper..... Leave it to Matt .... He will have you building more then just two of them at one time.

As I told Matt... He has a winner with this Freedom Series...... Just hold on to your hat and see what comes up..... You will be building anouther boat. Yep.... Ya sure will. :D After you beat yourself silly trying to figure out which one to build. :p

I can't say anything about the Okwata since I have not built it but looking at the plans as they are being finalized it will be one sweet boat for our enjoyment.......as soon as they are done and Matt puts them on his web site.

Decisions , Decisions , Decisions , ain't life grand and all it does is get better.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It was 50 this morning and then started warming up, the weather was just to nice to not be out in the shop and working on a boat. It is sanded down on the hull so why not start the epoxy and graphite.

freedom%20082.jpg

Besides the nice weather I also located a couple of good scratches on the bottom, just from taking the pictures (I wish folks would not throw junk in the water) another good reason to go ahead and protect the bottom. I will get the bottom protected then add the green water line , sand the deck ... varnish it and the boat will be ready for the water.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The bottom of the Freedom is done ...... My deck hardware came in today from Pygmy Boats. :D

Adding the green water line in the morning, flipping her over, sanding the deck ..... drilling the holes for the hardware and sealing them when I varnisher her with some of the varnish........ Let it dry for a day. Then installing the deck hardwear and she will be ready for some sea trials.........this weekend. YES!!!!!!!

Swampy... When you try her I will have a coffee cup holder in the cockpit for you. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: love it

Johnny Swank said:
Love it. Any idea about the payload? Looks like it'd be an awesome boat for an extended trip. Sort of Rob Royish, with a finer bow. Great job.

Matt could give you the information on that.
When he was drawing up the plans he asked me what I would be using it for and I told him extended trips, primarily one in the Everglades and 10,000 islands. So it would have to take my 200 pounds plus all of my camping gear and food along with one gallon of water per day.

The idea is that the house (tent or hammock or both, sleeping pad, sleeping bag) would go in the bow. Next to them a couple gallon jugs of water then the paddler.

In the aft area, clothing, food, camp stove and incidentals, along with a couple more of the water jugs near the bulkhead / hatch. (Heavy items near the center going out to the lightest in the ends)
Daily items , (rain coat, camera, snacks) in the center cockpit with the paddler. We figured around 100 to 130 pounds of stuff plus my weight ....If my memory serves me correctly.
Truly a floating backpack with a good capacity for gear.

Chuck.