The Secret Project , a New Kayak from Jem Watercraft. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Secret Project , a New Kayak from Jem Watercraft.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Uncle John recommends about 20% of graphite by volume. Run your masking tape for the first layer. Then back it off about an 1/8"
for each successive layer to get a stepped edge rather than an abrupt edge.

Sand the edge to feather it in, and sand the entire shiny, black surface. As a dull grey, it is more slippery. Sand it outside so as to not get the black graphite dust in the house. Unless you plan on getting divorced anyway.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I use the two to one pumps on the epoxy jugs so it is 4 pumps of the resin .... Three heaping spoons of the graphite powder, mix till all the lumps are gone, mix some more and then two shots of the resin, mix some more ... dump (Uncermonsley) in a paint tray liner and roll it out on the boat.

I use the rollers that are for epoxy and get the 9 inch ones (Home Depot) , mark the middle at 4 1/2 inches and cut it with a razor knife ..... equals two rollers for a 4 inch adapter. A full size roller just takes to much epoxy where the half size roller doesn't.

Roll it out on the boat, take a paper towel and pull the roller off the adapter, sit back and the next day do it all over again, then one more time (Three coats does a good job) Make sure you have some rubber gloves on, that graphite powder will get on everything (if you are not careful) till it is mixed in the resin.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Managed to get almost the last job done on the Freedom today..... The bottom is graphited and I have the green water line ... Sanded and then marked out the places to drill to attach the hardware for the decks .........

Southernpaddler shop hint ... 101..........

When you are marking out the deck of the completed boat to drill for adding the deck hardware use masking tape to show where you want it. Then place the item on the tape and mark it so you know where to drill thru the boat.

This does several things ...... The marks are on the tape and not on the deck, the tape will keep the fiberglass from splintering and you just end up with a nice clean hole for the hardware. No runs, no fiberglass splinters and no errors, just what you want, where you want it.

freedom%20088.jpg

Got out the varnish ... This is the 1st coat ... one more to go then put in the deck hardware and she is done.

freedom%20083.jpg

freedom%20084.jpg

freedom%20085.jpg

freedom%20086.jpg

freedom%20087.jpg

Matt ... This is going to be one UGLY BOAT ... Are you sure I should not give it to Jack :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Prety sweet. JEM had mentioned to me he was interested in this type Yak when I started my project (the 'Cuda is still in work, I finally found the last book matched wood I wanted).

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Great loolking boat.

I think this boat is perfect for longer trips. Not that I've paddled it, but it looks stable and dry enough to relax when things are getting a little hairy, but long enough that it isn't like paddling a bathtub.

I went out yesterday to play around on Falls Lake here in NC. Lots of wind and chop, and while I needed the bracing practice I think it would drive me nuts to be in that sea kayak for a month. Not having access to my gear while I'm on the water is going to drive me up the wall, and I can't just lay back and chill for 10 minutes like I can in a canoe or rec kayak.

The kayak I'm using is damn fast though. :lol: Pretty neat to hit 4-5 mph and not kill myself in the process.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The cockpit is 40 inches long and 20 inches wide at the widest portion inside the coaming. It should be big enough to offer comfort and protection from the elements.
It does have a lot more room then my sea kayak has in the cockpit for getting in and out of it.

In a few days I should be able to let you know how it paddles, I wanted to get everything done before I paddle it.

Chuck.

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Shoot - that's no fun! Why don't you get it 2/3rd's finished then start beating the crap of it, have to repair something that was unfinished, then spend twice the amount of time dealing with that then if you had justed knocked out the final details in a couple of hours?!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Johnny Swank said:
Shoot - that's no fun! Why don't you get it 2/3rd's finished then start beating the crap of it, have to repair something that was unfinished, then spend twice the amount of time dealing with that then if you had justed knocked out the final details in a couple of hours?!

It is like that old time wine commercial in the 70's.... " We will not drink a wine before it's time " well with me it is " Never paddle a boat before it's properly done".

I do have one nagging problem ...or so the folks that know me tell me and tell me and tell me....
fam05.gif

The major enjoyment for me is building them and paddling them is secondary because that means there is no more building to be done. BUT... That also means I have to take them and try them out by going camping and paddling. It is a HARD LIFE ..... Someone has to do it, it is just a curse I have learned to live with.
146.gif

Usually I try out a boat before the varnish ...... just playing it safe with this one. I have wanted one of this design since I was 13 and made my 1st kayak. Almost 50 years later ..I have it. A week or two is nothing compaired to 50 years.
143.gif

Back then (In the Dark Ages) the boat of my dreams was the Folbot "Sporty" 15 feet , 32 inches wide , 59 pounds and a safe capacity of 470 pounds. I could not afford one and wanted it modified like this one , which could not of been done. Today it would be there Kodiak...... http://www.folbot.com/kodiak.html

This is the beauty of making your own boat .. it is done the way you and no one else , wants it , not an off the shelf item and it sure costs less.

Chuck.
PS..... For the fun of it I should put a serial number on this one for Matt..... Freedom-001.

JEM

Looking spiffy Chuck. I'm very eager to hear how she handles.

With the small flat bottom portion, angled lower chine, and lowered-flared sides, I'm hoping it will be comfortable to sit and wiggle a little in calm water but still have a nice predictable secondary stabilty feeling if the waves kick up a bit.

If a stable barge yak was a "1" and a performance sea kayak was a "10", I was shooting for about 5. Basically wanted that comfortable rec kayak feel at rest but take rocking a litte better.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt, we'll rake his arse over the coals on Canadian waters next September. We'll shake out that flat-bottomed boat good for you.

I expect that little bayou buggar to do fairly well - right up until that bear rears up nearby. Or, a moose ambles by. Or a cougar pads around camp.

And, of course, there are those killer Mergansers and carnivorous loons.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Matt, we'll rake his arse over the coals on Canadian waters next September. We'll shake out that flat-bottomed boat good for you.

I expect that little bayou buggar to do fairly well - right up until that bear rears up nearby. Or, a moose ambles by. Or a cougar pads around camp.

Matt. When this boat works the way we think it will and it should, then I will get one flat bottom boat hater to paddle it and open his eyes up to a whole new better world of boats.
I might need your help in prying him out of it, or a big bag of prunes and a fork lift might do it.
My po boat would never be the same after that.

Ya can teach an old dog new tricks but it just takes a trainer and someone smarter then the ole dog to do it.

Jack under estimates my preservative powers........ Po Guy. Jezzzeeeee , want to bet I even have him eating grits before I leave up there. (Not saying I would throw all of his chow in the drink so all he could do is eat what I cook .... but there is always that possibility)

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:

Better hide our grub from him, Jack. Otherwise we will end up running from a possum pie and gritz supper. :shock:

We've been called many things, but "carnivorous loon" is a new one. but accurate

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack,

My humble .02 worth, I think that boat will handle the chop surprisingly well. Reasonable secondary stability in conjuction with the ability to side slip when necessary will make this one a real fun boat to paddle and I am confident that Chuck, being the wiley old coot that he he is will have some tricks up his sleeve. :D :D

I am being really tempted to build one of this only in a decked canoe configuration. Did I mention, I sold another one of my off the shelf sea kayaks. I have a spare rack now :D :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
BEARS BUDDY said:
We've been called many things, but "carnivorous loon" is a new one. but accurate
Friend Gerry,

New?
1219.gif

regards
bearridge

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. Albert Einstein

dawallace45

Chuck / Matt

Love the new Kayak , reminds me some what of the Mill Creek 15 and you know I'm a big fan of the Mill Creek , been meaning to say well done for some time but work on the house tends to keep me busy , about the only time I have to post is if I take a longer lunch break as by afternoon I'm in no condition to sit at the key board , lay down and groan , yes , sit up , no , I some times I'm able to sneak a read of the forum several times a day but posting with my typing skills takes a lot more time than I normally have available , today has been a little different due to rain , some thing much needed in this time of drought

David

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
bearridge said:
BEARS BUDDY said:
Friend Gerry,

New?
1219.gif

regards
bearridge

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. Albert Einstein
Its been implied but never stated directly before.