Tick removal | SouthernPaddler.com

Tick removal

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
You don't want to pull a tick out with anything that will squeeze it, or it will inject the tic's body fluid into the bite. Here's how I remove ticks, and it works!!! Take about three feet of thread or light weight fishing line... Tie a loose half hitch in it... slip the knot over the tick, and then tighten it close to the skin, so it is choking the @*&%# out of the tick. Then pull lightly... not hard... lightly. Eventually, like about 30 seconds or less, the tick will give up and let go. With this method the tic is removed head in tact, and it can't excrete nasty stuff into the wound.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Put a drop of Campho- Phenique and the sucker and it will back out on it's own.

Best thing was when we had leaded gas , a drop of oil off the dip stick made them want to be someplace else.

I don't know if this works on ticks ... It might .......If a snake bites you and holds on some Vodka in its mouth will make it turn loose.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
If a snake bites me and holds on, I'll be danged if I'm going to offer it a shot of any beverage. It will be an ex-snake long before that. I don't normally believe in killing snakes, but that would be an exception.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
That family in the capitol comes ta mind. They wuz up late, near midnite, when this fella pulled out hiz illegal pistol 'n commenced ta rob 'em. They offered him fancy sammiches, some high dollar Dago Red, give him a chair ta take a load off 'n then stuck a knife deep in hiz cold, worthless heart. They tole him if hiz momma knew he wuz out late robbin' folks, she would be mitey ashamed. After that he walked away without the loot.

I figger he left cuz he wuz scairt ta hang out too long with crazy white folks. They mite have broke out with a rap version of Kumbaya 'n then where would he be? Rite next ta Tabor, Bancini, McMurphy 'n the Chief breakin' cigarettes in two tryin' ta bet a nickel.

Wonder how them folks git a tick off? :wink:

regards
bearridge
shade tree medikle clinic

The longer we live, and the more we think, the higher value we learn to put on the friendship and tenderness of parents and of friends. Parents we can have but once; and he promises himself too much, who enters life with the expectation of finding many friends. Dr. Samuel Johnson

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Ok Jack you can use any length of thread you want, I usually hold one end of the thread in my teeth and use one hand to position the thread around the tick then pull it tight with the other hand. If you use a shorter length of thread and say the tick is located near your sack It might be a little difficult to get your head bent down that close to hold the thread in your teeth, not to mention kinda funny looking.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
Ok Jack you can use any length of thread you want . If you use a shorter length of thread and say the tick is located near your sack It might be a little difficult to get your head bent down that close to hold the thread in your teeth, not to mention kinda funny looking.

Well I can see you have never camped with Jack and seen what he can do. I will say that he could make your double jointed ole hound dog .....BLUSH.
Not even going anywhere near or saying anything about the snoring or is it the dig-er-a-doo playing he does when he is asleep. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
EGGGGZZEllent! I've erased your "Aw S&!T" and replaced it with one "Attaboy!"

I have to ask, cause in Michigan we don't have many critters that make pesticles of themselves, or try to kill you. Mainly hazard here is just women drivers.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Good tip with the twine mate.

What also works is metholated spirits. Pour a little on his back and he is outa there. not sure what you guys might call metholated spirits but it is a clear alcohol used in those little fuel stoves so popular with back-packers.

Jack, if ya pour rum on a ticks back, all you will do is make him want to fight you. Good rum tends to have this effect on all who imbibe :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Kayak Jack said:
EGGGGZZEllent! I've erased your "Aw S&!T" and replaced it with one "Attaboy!"

I have to ask, cause in Michigan we don't have many critters that make pesticles of themselves, or try to kill you. Mainly hazard here is just women drivers.

The worst pest in Michigan is a Jack attack, contrary mean little critter.
FIRE IN THE HOLE
Ron

Ooooh! this is gona be good. :lol: hairy

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
In the past I have put a dollop of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the tick. They can't breathe and let go in a minute or two. Luckily they were always on a dog and not on me so I didn't mind the wait. Started doing that after one tick I pulled off with tweezers scarred a dog on top of her nose.