Toto in progess | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Toto in progess

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I put the decks (fore and aft) on. Still no paint yet. It weighs 64 pounds which is considerably heavier than I hoped. A lauan version weighs about 47 pounds so I think most of my weight gain (in the boat, anyway) is due to the 6mm 5-ply marine meranti. It is probably about 30-40% heavier than the 5.2mm lauan. I did take two more pictures recently:

http://community.webshots.com/user/aub77

Click on the Toto 2 folder and the last two pictures are the latest ones. About the only difference is the addition of the decks. Should look a lot better when painted. Got to take the belt sander to the edges of the decks to shape them more evenly with the sheerline today.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Aub77 -- I have the plans for a Toto, and I will start that as my next project ...

I had this weird idea of building the Toto with two pointed bows instead of the square transom. What do you think??

btw, I wondered how the bow of the Toto performs. That is one of the reasons I want to build this design. It looks like the bow design is a big step forward over the relatively flat pirougue's bow ........

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I have only had it out once and there was only a little wind and no wakes from any other boats. However, I have heard from several people that it takes wakes and rougher water conditions better than a pirougue. I would imagine that to be true.

As far as making the transom end pointy: I don't think it would look as good and it would add weight if it were extended out. Just not sure about that one but I am not one to experiment too much from the designer's plans.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Toto's lines, I think will allow good water run off in the back. Maybe loft the stern acouple inches ( at most) and there shouldn't be much , if any, drag in the rear. I wouldn't flair in the stern as much at Toto's bow is.
I am still looking at these guy's boats... they show great promise.
swampy

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Toto has some rocker in it so the stern should drag too much. I did put a skeg on it which will create some drag but I wanted some wind resistance and extra tracking for fishing. At least that was my feeble mind's way of thinking....

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Swampy: I think you asked if that 19.99 truck extender from harbor freight could adjust higher. I responded that it did have 5 holes to adjust the height but that it would not adjust very much. What I didn't even think about was that the two pieces can be arranged so that the longest extension is vertical rather than horizontal. In that case it is about the height of the cab. I took a couple of pictures which should be at the bottom of the Toto2 folder at this site:

http://community.webshots.com/user/aub77

It takes 30 minutes for new pictures to appear so if you are that fast you will have to be patient!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
AUB here is mine ( and Chuck has the same one).
Laoded%20for%20test%201.jpg

I'm betting I can switch mine also... haven't looked at that yet!
Compared to $80 for the Fulton..... the $20 of yours is a savings!
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darn ........

Swampy drives a Chev and I was led to believe all of us drove Dodges. :roll:

What a let down ..... I will have to talk to the boy on the St.Mary's trip about that. I just can see it now...............

Now Swampy ... don't argue with your elders ..... just DO as I say and get a Dodge to tote your boat on...... Ya can tow it behind your Chev. :oops:
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Isn't that what growing old is about?
I mean getting bald,
Bending over when walking,
Sight going,
Joints going stiff,
Wrinkles everywhere,
Feableness,
Slur of speach,
Memory loss,
and drive Dodges......

LIKE A ROCK!!!! ~~~~ :twisted:
swaGMpy

A

Anonymous

Wish I had heard that nickname for a Nissan. I had one of those until about 6 months ago. LOL! I have a Ford now which I guess makes me some sort of outcast in this Chevy/Dodge war.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Oops. Didn't log in. That was me with the Ford comment. Got a new computer. Last one would stay up more than about 15 minutes. CPU needs replacing.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Hey, aub77, question for you re: Toto ....... do you think you can stand up in it and poll it, or fish while standing, etc ... or is it too unstable??

I plan to start mine (Toto) in about a week or so .... cleaned out the garage, and I'm finishing up my Stealth Yakoo (putting decking on) this week. The Yakoo will be more kayak than canoe, and is too narrow to allow me to stand up in it with any confidence. But, as Sparkey knows, when I'm fishing the open salt-water flats, it helps sometimes to stand up to see your surroundings .....

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
No. I can't stand up in it. Michalak does say you might be able to stand up in his Pirauga but not in Toto. I do think it is more stable than Jacques' Cheap Canoe upon which the Yakoos are based.

Unfortunately the weather and the death of my mother-in-law after 10 years of battling Alzeimer's have prevented me from working on my Toto. Just need to start priming and painting.

I plan on fly-fishing from Toto but my butt is staying down on a boat cushion. Thinking about either doing the stair Chuck designed or doing just the back rest that Barry did on his Toto. But that can't wait until later. Make sure you follow Michalak's instructions about cutting the bilge panels oversized and then cut to fit. That was my worst mistake. I thought he said the bottom panel and I had a devil of a time getting the bilge panels to fit well.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
I wonder if the LarsBoat design, which I understand is nothing more than a Toto with a 30" additional midsection (makes in essance a 16' Toto), would allow you to stand? I have the Toto plans but may want to stretch things .......

I read what Jim said about the bildge panels, but I didn't quite understand what he meant. I'll have to god back and re-read that part so I get a better mental picture of why it may be a problem ......

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't think Larsboat would be much more stable. It is still the same width and multi-chined.

The bilge panels are the ones in the middle. They are the ones that have the big curves and the slight twist in them to form the bow. They are the most important in terms of looks since the sweep of the bow is what everyone sees first.