Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I can't believe I am doing this but I bought the wood today to start this build Took one day off and starting again I must be nutts. Oh well I am so far on the darks side by now I need night vision glasses.
Wood cutting begins tomorrow. well got 4 stations cut today.
Ron

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
May I suggest for the next project a bigger boat house and work shop so as not to run out of room for the next build and the next and.......

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Have been playing with the tv its starting to look like a boat

IM001886.jpg

IM001885.jpg

got the tumble homes stitched on

IM001889.jpg

IM001888.jpg

IM001888.jpg

Its coming right along
I am really excited about this boat like the swede form hull shape , v bottom and just 2 inches wider than the Laker but a much longer water line at 15 ft I think this boat is going to be the one for me even more than the Laker Like I said I am excited.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I have been thinking it sure would be easy to do on one of these hulls
But I have to admit I like the v especally since I learned to lean it over
so its half sitting on bottom to get in and out :lol:
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
tx river rat said:
... But I have to admit I like the v especally since I learned to lean it over so its half sitting on bottom to get in and out
There is that. But, I'll bet that I can roll out of a semi-round bottom boat with more aplomb and elan! With seat still attached to my hind side to boot.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

I am counting 8 temp hull frames in there. :shock: :D Should keep all your seams nice and true.

I think that is going to be a very special boat mate. It is certainly looking the goods to me. :D :D

jheger

Nov 28, 2004
Weimar, TX
Ron:
Looking good. I don't know who is faster, you or Mick. I do know one thing, once you two guys set your mind to building a boat, you don't mess around, you get it done. Let me know any secrets you might run across in the process that might help me since I have the panels cut out on mine. Thanks and special thanks to Matt for working up the plans.

James

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
What would you think of the boat with a semi-rounded bottom?
Yeah Ron, why not build one of 'em next week..... :wink:

regards
bearridge

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress. Mark Twain

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The 8 temp frames are JHagers and Matts Ideal it sure helps with the thin ply and Mick I think this may be the ultimate boat for me the right hull shape v bottom 15 ft long long water line 24 inches wide. If I was a betting man I would lay money down it will performe right with or better than the Laker. Got a couple ideals on carrying my gear and storage in this boat.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Are you thinking of decks on this, Ron? You could even anchor out and sleep aboard it.

I've always wanted to do that, anchor a boat in a lake and take a nap. Knowing me, I'd wake up and take a walk to find a nearby tree ..... SPLASH!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack

I am going to put decks on it I like the fact I can secure my stuff if I do turtle.
The South wind would be a boat you could rig the cockpit to sleep in
:lol:
Ron

JEM

hairymick said:
G'day Ron,

I am counting 8 temp hull frames in there. :shock: :D Should keep all your seams nice and true.

I think that is going to be a very special boat mate. It is certainly looking the goods to me. :D :D

Yep, there's a lots-o-frames. But that was a request to help tame 3mm ply from flopping around.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have been pretty busy the last few days I need to catch up on my posting.
Here we go

IM001912.jpg

bulkheads in filets run and inside glassed

end pours done I had to stand this one since it had the tumble homes installed dang its tall

IM001909.jpg

IM001908.jpg

shear strips glued in

IM001890-1.jpg

IM001889-1.jpg

cut the rear deck and installing it

IM001911.jpg

I went with a flat rear deck

This is getting pretty long I think I will end it here.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Ok here we go
I tried something on my front deck and it seems to be working ok
glassed the back side of my deck put 4 inch strip of clothe down the center line.

IM001910.jpg

then I turned it over ran a saturation coat on the side(the top side)

then drew a line down the center making sure I was in the center of the tape on the other side

IM001922.jpg

I set my skill saw to cut 3/4 way threw the 1/8 ply ( I free handed it should of used a straight edge) but it worked ok

IM001922.jpg

then I got a 2=4 placed it under it and pushed down

IM001924.jpg

Wala a good straight edge in the 1/8 ply no waves

put on top of yak marked then sanded it to shape
IM001925.jpg

Saves a lot of time good straight line and the cloth on the back side works as a hinge to hold everything just right and when you bend it open lets you glass all the way back through to the tape.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Boat is starting to shape up
got the front deck on

IM001931.jpg

got the combing installed
IM001934.jpg

IM001933.jpg

got a little glass on the nose

IM001936.jpg

The more I work on this boat the more I like it bet it is going to be in low fortys in weight to.
Mick better get Matt to send you this set of plans.
More tomorrow.
Ron

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Ron,

I like the looks of this one. Seems to me, you gone an' got yerself addicticated to building almos' as much as you is addicticated to playin' in 'em... :D

Great looking boat!

Steve