Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Not to take anything away from Br'r Bears aluminum foil hats, I wonder how much benefit could be be gained by taping foil - shiny side up - to the outside of the lid on any cooler? It would shed some heat for sure.

Might aid in Martian contacts too.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack before I got these cooler use to take a space blanket put over coolers realy helped and duc taping around the gasket helped if you were not in cooler to often, reason I love this cooler don't have to do all that.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I had to run for a minute
The main reason for my choice in a cooler is this
Say your boat weighs 45 lbs couple more lbs to build cooler 2 bags of ice 8 lbs a bag drinks are what ever your carrying say ten lbs
Ok now unload that off of top of your vehicle lets see65 or 70 lbs very conservatively cant turn boat upside down you will dump cooler and that would be a hoss to portage
na Ill take my cooler and if I get lazy can mix a drink next to the fire and never get up.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Like this boat
She is starting to finish out now
IM001938.jpg

guess I will need to paint ice chest to match boat :lol:
IM001937.jpg

from the nose
IM001939.jpg

One more day and I hope can hit the water
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A few more pics outside
Shes ready to try out .
IM001940.jpg

IM001941.jpg

IM001942.jpg

Here is a pic of how high the cooler set a bove the combing

IM001943.jpg

4 Inches is all .

IM001946.jpg

IM001944.jpg

Paddling here we come
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
. The Touring pirogue T-V hit the water today .
The weather was terrible 30 mile an hour gust and up to 18 inch whitecaps on the river but I couldn’t wait had to get her wet loaded the ice chest and off I went
The boat turned out pretty light 43 lbs and she handled like a dream turned well and was very stable in the wind there was very little nose swing and wind cocking I had waves breaking over the front deck no problem (would have got wet in a open top boat) heading into the waves she just handled beautiful I let her drift sideways to waves road them well a very stable ride.
I played around a little then headed down river to see a friend that was fishing there even with the 30 mph wind blowing in my face and the waves I was cruising at 4 mph this little darlin is fast. I had to play really started digging in with the paddle and was up close to six mph.
Paddled on down the river and visited a while we started back up bucking the current crusing at 3.7 mph was no problem.
In summary I LOVE THIS BOAT if I had built this one first would probably not built another Shes fast ,nimble ,stable ,carries my cooler well, cockpit is perfect for me bulkhead just the right width apart, seat worked great front deck is right distance for rod holders
This is my favorite of all the boats I have paddled.

Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dave
I have to say when I was down there I couldn't stay with Aussies drinking
For the trip I am taking I need to be able to keep food for 5 or 6 days.
Ron

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
All can say WOW I can see this being your chioce boat on your trip. I can't wait to see a picture of you afloat in her.

Paul

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Aussie Ron!!! :D

Congratulations on yet another very impressive build mate. The lines of this one are spectacular! Bloody well done.
:D

In summary I LOVE THIS BOAT if I had built this one first would probably not built another Shes fast ,nimble ,stable ,carries my cooler well, cockpit is perfect for me bulkhead just the right width apart, seat worked great front deck is right distance for rod holders
This is my favorite of all the boats I have paddled.

:shock: :D 8)

That is a very big call mate, She must be bloody good. 8)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a name for her, Ron - "Super Guppy". She reminds me of the KC-97 that had been modified to carry rockets from Aero-Jet General near Sacramento, to Cape Canaveral. The first one was the "Pregnant Guppy", and then came the "Super Guppy".

I've never before seen a boat built around a cooler. Gonna look good to look over and see her ont he river with me and my Kaynoe.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The concentration has been on the big cooler, and it will be great on weekend trips up to week long trips or with a bag of ice in it to keep fish cool till you can dress them. On day trips and fishing trips a small cooler in the hatches will be plenty and the cooler slot will be used to hold are transport fish with the weight close to the center of the boat I also made it with a smooth inside so you can roll up and wash out with a hose so easy clean up.
Ron