Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK... I will bite , reel me in like a fish..............

The area behind the cockpit , ( where the sander is sitting ) that is where you are installing a hatch , I am sure the back of the cockpit is not the end of the boat.:oops:

Or is this one of those two part boats where the two pieces are joined for paddling , taken apart for transport.

IM001933.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck sorry so slow
Heres a pic from the rear of yak

IM001932.jpg

and here is a couple pics taken from the front might explain i better than
I can type it
IM001906.jpg

IM001905.jpg

Chuck you live in the south and know how important a good cooler for food and refreshments can be this was built to handle a five day extreme cooler and I have plenty storage left for my gear.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I have carried that same cooler on a trip in the hot air piroque with no problems . The weight on these coolers is low ,the ice is on the bottom
and the only thing you have to do is keep the water drained of so it cant shift back and forth. now that will cause a problem.
Cooler in this pic is a 5 day extreme rated to keep ice 5 days at 90 degrees and it will, hunting in the moutains of Colo I fill one with ice and the other with ice and food I will still have ice at the end of a week.
Jack can have his scotch and beer Ill have me a good margarita or salty dog at the end of the day around the camp fire (dang that sounds good )
on the rocks.
:lol:
Jack am I going to have to build you a boat so you can have your own cooler :lol:
Sheena dad you live here in TX you know how important a good cooler is
Matt I drew up that chair and sent part of it to you but think we decided to wait till u caught up a little
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thats not a cooler , it is a ICE HOUSE. I had a sneaky suspicion that was what the cutout was for. It sure looked like a cooler would fit in there , good thinking.

As far as the water when the ice melts , that is some fine water to splash on your face , the head and even the back of the neck when it is hot out there. Gar-on-teed to cool you down.
Keep the cooler clean on the inside and it can even be used as drinking of coffee water.

Who makes that cooler , the best we have ever done is three days in the summer , but we do get in it for some ice to keep the drinks cold while around a fire. Yep .... summer time with upper 90's and we have a fire going. :roll:
Needless to say ... sometimes .....in the winter the ice does last longer , some days it never melted and in fact at morning I would swear we had more ice in it then the night before.

Chuck. :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
The cooler is a coleman extreme it's the best cooler I have ever owned.
My normal routine when I am going camping is to dump the ice maker from the fridge in to the cooler the night before cool it down good.Pour off the water the next morning two 8 lb bags of ice don;t bust the plastic I usually freeze several small bottles of drinking water and gator aide
add my food and off I go I am in and out for drinks and food water and gator aide will still be frozen several days later and if you don't bust the ice bags there will be ice left. If your really hot take out a gator aid let it sit for a while then start squeezing the bottle you have a gator aide slush man that will cool you down also at night you have crushed ice for your adult beverage around the fire.
Ron
One note do not sit on the cooler it will bow the lid and not let it seal
before long its just like a regular one.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Here's a thought,

Why not build a cooler, same process as a boat, only with an inner skin and gp between panels of about 1 1/2". The gap between panels could be filled with insulating material and be a perfect fit in our boats.

None of the plastic coolers I have used would hold ice for 5 days but a couple of very good fibreglass ones would.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
An insulated wanigan. Can be designed to fit a specific boat - reversing Ron's methodology. Would styrofoam or expanded urethane be the best R factor?

With inner and outer boxes of epoxified plywood (good spot to use cheap stuff) the styrofoam could be replaced form time to time, if need be, by slipping out the inner box. Don't know, though, if it's either needed or worth it?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick and Ozark
I can buy these coolers for about 30.00 dollars and they work plus the area I built for the cooler is sealed so its a great place to throw your fish
and the way it is built washes out no p[lace for water and trash to hang up and I am going to have bunji cords and a net that go over the opening so I can carry bulky items if just on a day trip.
This trip I have going has made me think of building to multiple uses.
Seat has dual use in yak or unfolded for camp
cockpit is just the right size
My hatch sizes are down pat long items and bulky item are easy to load
Bulkhead placement is just right length so I can strech but works as foot braces
Overhang on cockpit is just right to mount rod holders
I tried something else to with small sealed cockpit bulkheads front and rear , and sealed hatches I filled the cockpit with water got in and could still paddle pretty well so it made me feel a lot better about taking on water if that ever happened.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For giggles and tickles a while back , also to use up some spare wood .....

I used some of the left over wood to make a cooler that would fit in the pirogues. Lets see.. Wood boat = wood paddle =wood cooler , why not. Still working on the wood anchor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lined it with Styrofoam and then another piece of wood , all the wood was epoxy saturated and the seams epoxy filleted. Might say I made a sandwich out of it or a cooler inside of a cooler. Wood then Styrofoam then wood , all natural insulators.

The lid is a pressure fit so when it is placed on the box it fits nice and snug , the top has a piece of Styrofoam glued to it on the inside and to protect the Styrofoam , I coated it with epoxy and wood flour. That fits down between the inside walls of the sides which makes a well sealed and insulated box.

It works great for a two or three day trip for a solo paddler. It is rather small on the inside ( not industrial size , just recerational ) , I did not take into account for the one inch Styrofoam all the way around or the extra piece of 1/8th inch wood on the inside all the way around the sides and bottom. :oops:

Chuck.