What Works / What Don't | Page 14 | SouthernPaddler.com

What Works / What Don't

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Cutting Styrofoam:

Don't = circler saw unsupported.

Works = pull saw with straight edge board for a guide.

Electric saw could work, but needs more rigging than the simple hand saw.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have used the knife before but forgot to try it this time.

My grandson takes karate, maybe I'll get him to try the next time. Probably not a good idea. If the ultimate masters hand hurt he probably would be injured. :lol:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack, they were not my test but seemed to be well done and fair. I think he concluded or suspected the epoxy's poor results may have been related to the cold temperatures. The results are valid for the tests' parameters. All factors have to be considered and evaluated when choosing the best components. I don't think epoxy users need to get worried over these test. We all know epoxy can make a strong joint. How strong is strong enough and/or do I consider other factors?
I like Titebond 3, so I was pleased it did well.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OK, thanks. Any adhesive that is as strong as, or stronger than, the parent material will partiallytear apart the wood on total destruction. If more strength is required, there will have to be reinfocement added (more material added onto the joint).

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, Frank, you're right - dosage depends upon severeity of injury. BUT, I have been known to increase dosage as a preventive measure against future injuries. So far, in the last 50 years it hasn't prevented a damned thing.

Research, however, continues.

FrankAS

May 2, 2017
Ocala National Forest
I know I will get in trouble for saying this ....BUT.

With a kayak paddle you do have more paddle in the water but the part that is out is something to see. Watching kayakers out on the water , the 1st thing I see in the distance is a windmill coming at me then as they get closer I can tell it is someone with a kayak paddle.

Paddling along with them that is one noisy dam paddle it splashes everytime it is put in the water and there is no way to just slip along nice and quiet , especially if you do not want to be noticed or scare any really spooky wildlife. I really don't think a person using one could slip up on a blind and deaf person much less a road killed armadillo some buzzard dropped by the river.
My guess is that is OK since when you put two kayakers together there chatter covers those splashes from the paddles so there is no reason to be quiet or to use a quiet paddle.

As I said , I will get into trouble for posting this but the three of us .... I , Me and especially Myself like to ease down or up a river and see how quiet we can be. The rewards are great since there is a lot of wildlife and stuff to see ..... even at times some females sunbathing in there birthday suits at the rivers edge while having a snack and enjoying the river , shame on them , how disgusting while there boy friends ( if there are any ) are out of sight. :roll:

OK ... All you with the dirty minds out there ...I am talking about Doe Deer down at the river for a drink or some nice river vegetation to munch on as a snack. ( Dam , Ya have to explain everything on here )

When I used to paddle (over twenty years ago, Tupperware), I used a West Greenland style also had an asymmetrical paddle, they don't splash if used with the proper technique.

FrankAS

May 2, 2017
Ocala National Forest
Looking forward to build another boat in 2012. Not sure where to start, but will take a look back at my goals, and how they may have changed. Also looking at things I have learned, and "what works/what don't" from my past builds. None were disapointing but, none completly met all the goals I had in mind, or they could have been built better. That is a not a bad thing, because I get to keep trying.
A boat build does not have to meet any goals. It can be built just because you like it and want too. That boat for me will be a lapstrake one day. I like the way they look.
My last boat is a great fishing boat.
IMG_2485.jpg

After using it, if I were to do it over I would address the turbulance issue caused by it having a square transom. I would give up it's perfect fit in my truck and add two feet to the floor and give it a pointed stern.

What would you like to build in 2012 and why?
What would you change, or improve about your boat?

beekeeper
The goal that I have set is extremely critical, IT HAS TO FLOAT!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Frank, those who use a kayak paddle like a windmill are using them wrongly. On the forward stroke, where we spend almost all of our time, the paddle should remain parallel to our shoulders. Our elbows should be below our shoulders - helps to prevent shoulder dislocation.

Grasp the paddle with hands about shoulder width apart. Bend your elbows slightly, so they are comfortable. While actually paddling, your elbows may bend ever so slightly, but in general remain bent at about the same, comfortable angle all the time.

Rotate to your right and lower the left blade into the water near where your feet are. WITHOUT bending your elbows, rotate your back and shoulders leftwards until the blade is just past your hip. Now lower the right blade into the water near your feet, and rotate back and shoulders rightwards until the blade is just past your hip. Repeat as you traverse the water.

The back muscles are now doing the work, not arm muscles. Set a comfortable pace. Don't bend your elbows or windmill the paddle. Paddlers are more comfortable using this stroke, and can cruise longer without fatigue.

Reactions: FrankAS

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This idea is more a recommendation than a "work/don't work".

When picking out plywood use a flashlight to inspect each sheet. Outside at home ,my last purchases don't look as well as I thought they did inside the store.
May just be my ageing eyesight.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I use a lot of Irwin Quick Grip clamps. They have sharp corners on the ends and will cut or bruise if you walk into them.
IMG_5421.JPG

A couple of wraps of tape over the ends eliminates the cuts and may reduce any bruising.
IMG_5422.JPG