Which boat, LONG and lots of pics....

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
market????

Ya mean there iz a profit motive in it? :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity I need! My name in print! That really makes me somebody! Things are going to start happening now. Navin Johnson

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Hey, Swamprat...

I agree with the guys, the Laker might be the one.

As far as the glued lap construction, they all pretty much use the same technigue, glue them together into a panel before you set them in place.

However, from the photo, that might be a bit hard to do, what with the vee I could see in the picture. It still should be a simple enough build though.

The weight might be an issue. I didn't check out your linksfor the pics, but the Laker looks like it might come in about what Sheena's build is going to, once I get the seats in anyway.

Which ever way you go, friend,

HAPPY BUILDING!

Steve

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thanks again guys,
It looks what is going to happen is that Morten of DK boat plans is custom designing me a set of plans very close to the dk dingy 15, except it will be 18'X4'10" beam. VERY close to the laker but stitch and glue. I can highly recomend Morten for working up a set of plans. He is very nice to work with and is producing a quality product. Only downside is that with him in Denmark and me in Florida. I am getting up in the middle of the night to check my email for new changes! :)
Brad
edit :
forgot to add that weight really isn't an issue as I plan to put this boat on a trailer anyways.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Thats the plan Matt, I have a old 10 hp evinrude sportwin that runs like a top that will go on her. Should be able to run all day long on 4 or 5 gallons of fuel. Cover allot of ground down in the 10K islands :p

( Chuck stepping in here ......SERIOUSLY...
I think you will find that the boat will handle a lot better in the water plus I have been told that is where the fish are. All I have ever found on the ground down there are millions of hungry raccoons , no seems and skiters. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Swamprat,

I haven't messed around with boats like that since I was a teeneager (misspelled, but still very descriptive of me at the time) and used a12 hp on Dad's runabouts. You ought to be able to fish, camp, hunt, and snooze in that boat.

Being (only slightly) nosy here, you plan to carry, launch, and recover on a trailer?

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
LOL, chuck, yeah, OK :D I will be able to cover allot of WATER, or distance over said water :)
Yes Jack, Definately will go on a trailer. Looking at a weight of about 150# for the boat. Could be cartopped in a pinch but it will live on a trailer for sure.

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
I have the plans for Robb White's Sport Boat. http://www.robbwhite.com/sportboat.html I hope to start building in a month or two. I got a good deal on a 2 hp Suzuki outboard that I purchased out of the local classified ads. If it isn't strong enough for the boat, I can likely get my money back on the motor. I tried the motor out on a 14' aluminum boat, so I think it will work fine.

Kurt

boatfinished1.jpg

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
swamprat said:
Yeah Kurt, I have drooled over the Robb White sport boat for a long while. I am just a bit intimidated by the strip build process though.Plus it is probably just a bit small for my intended uses.
Have you seen these pictures of that boat?From wooden boat forum?
http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/u ... sport+boat

Strip building is not tough, but this boat isn't the best for someone without experience. The building instructions included with the plans do not follow most of the strip building books on the market. In fact, Robb refers the builder to those books for the ins and outs of strip building. I plan to build the boat using more conventional methods. The main difference is the boat is built with the keel down on the strongback and the forms are not made of plywood. All the canoes and kayaks I have built have been built upside down with plywood forms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the plans/building instructions as other plans I have purchased have come with no instructions what so ever. I suspect that a builder of the sport boat can get questions answered by Robb's son. He post on the Wooden Boat Forum. He answered a PM that I sent to him in a timely manner. I seached the internet for all the information I could find prior to ordering the plans and my search lead to the thread you referenced above. I really didn't find any additional meaningful information.

Kurt

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I knew the plans for Robb Whites boat were about like his old self . May he rest in peace. Fine boat builder,even better story teller. :)Wes is doing a fine job of filling in the blanks but Robb is sorely missed.Not only for his boats. But for his stories as well. I am not at the level of ability to be able to take his lines and build "to" them
I will eagerly look to your posts to watch your build Kurt.