Which boat, LONG and lots of pics.... | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Which boat, LONG and lots of pics....

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Well, since I got the bug and asked for opinions here first I guess I should give an update. I had Morten run me up a custom design and he did a mighty fine job of it and I now have plans for the DK-18 in my possesion.

BUT!!

While I was saving and shopping for supplies for this build I came across a boat for sale locally. Boat motor and trailer for less than I would have spent on the plywood for the DK-18.

Its definately a "project" boat but I think it is going to be a fine boat for running the 10K islands down here and maybe even doing some beach fishing for Tarpon and such. Motor ran like a top after rebuilding the carb.
file.jpg

file.jpg

Very "dory" like.
All of the seats will come out and be replaced with benches that are removable.Staying with tiller steering as its simple and not likely to break.
file.jpg

SO, don't hate me for buying a fiberglass boat. The price was right and there will definately be building involved!
For the Florida folks, It is a Mitchell craft. Now known as stumpknocker boats. Very tough, no nonsense boats. LOTs of fiberglass in each and every one.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The newer motors ( outboards) can be fitted with a jet drive unit but you will drop about 5 HP when you do it.

The best thing when using an outboard is to not lock it down , let it swing up if it hits something and try to hit it at a low speed.

Some of the newer motors are advertising that you can hit a underwater object while on a plane ( up on top of the water) and scooting along and it will not damage the motor. The never say anything about the transom of the boat. :roll:
My way of looking at it is that only a fool goes fast in water he does not know or where there's sure to be stumps and submerged trees.

Where swamprat is his problem would be oyster bars and the occasional mangrove the last storms blew out in the waterways.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As I was paddling a flooded backwater in rice Lake, just south of Peterborough, I saw a 2 1/2' log submerged about 6" down.

I thought, "Boy! - an outboard would tear the transom right out of the boat on that old bugger." I don't like hitting obstacles even when I'm paddling, let alone under power.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
had a jet drive they can be retrofitted on just about any outboad,but they dont like weeds moss or lily pads sand will eat the empelor up in short time I think they work best in rocky clear water
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
If it were me, in the 10K Island area and Everglades, I'd have a Weekender sail boat with a kicker on the back. Camp on the boat or on a key. No waters handy here to do that, so I'm sticking with my canoes and kayaks.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
I had a little 14' daysailor Jack and the problem I ran into down in the islands is just not enough water! In order to really sail, one needs to be able to drop the keel or centerboard and unless your on the outside, or in a channel. The islands are pretty shallow. Not to mention navigating in and out of mangrove islands.
And my current situation leaves just not enough time to get out and enjoy the islands like I would like to. Paddle out and camp for a week at a time. But with a little power skiff, I can pop out, camp for a night or two and be back in by sunday afternoon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One of our trips to the glades , Feb 06 , John Depa had his sail boat for the trip.

Johns boat with the keel up and yes that is a Hennessey hammock hanging betweens the masts. Looking carefully at the transom that is a small outboard for when the wind is not blowing.

eglades%20035.jpg

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The weekender has no deep keel; it has a 6" strip or so running full length. But you solution of a power skiff is faster.

While I think I would enjoy a small sail boat I could camp within, I'll never get there. Too complicated for my use, I'm afraid.