17 lb pirogue.......maybe | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

17 lb pirogue.......maybe

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Boat captain to passengers (in a deep, gravelly pilot-type voice): "Ahhhh ........ this is your captain speaking. I am no longer in the boat, as the sides have delaminated in that last wave. Those of you who can swim, please step to the right side of the boat, and calmly enter the water. The rest of you - thank you for riding in Cajun Canoes!" :wink:

....and you don't have to outswim the gators.........you just have to outswim your fellow passengers. :twisted:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
Dont panic
It hit me that the reason to attach the side first was to pull it tight against the sides when you bow it ,instead of applying pressure to make it separate from the ribs it will be forcing pressure against them.
Wipe flashing down with acetone and then go over it with vinegar it should be about as good as you can get on alum.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Probably too late for that, Ron. The epoxy let go on all the joints I tested on the first rail. I'm pretty sure the nails will hold the structure together, but I don't think the epoxy will seal the water out on the bottom joint and the stems. I'm contemplating using aluminum gutter caulk and running a bead along the seams. At this point, I'm not concerned about looks. It was going to be an experimental fishing boat from the start.

So far, I have about 50 bucks in it. I have a bottom panel glued up and enough aluminum for another boat that could be used on another build. Will do some more research on aluminum bonding, but I might just cut my losses on this one.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Do an experiment on some scrap. Clean the aluminum, then rough it up with some coarse sand paper. The roughness gives the epoxy something to grip. May or may not work, but it is worth trying on some scrap. I have everything here except the epoxy, or I'd try it myself....

Mike

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I hope it does too, Joey. I know I've tried to paint Aluminum before and roughing it up helped a lot. Best of luck!

Mike

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
jdupre' said:
I went out to the shop and did just that, Mike. I hope it works. Hi Joey, I've googled epoxy resins and read a bit on manufactures and sellers sites, even though it's all called epoxy resin it's not all formulated for the same purpose, epoxy glues "are epoxy resins" but a whole different animal than laminating resins. Epoxy glues stick to aluminum like crazy. hth

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
jpsaxnc, that makes sense. Thanks. Could have been about a week earlier with the info, though. :roll: :)

Project is on hold for the moment, until a solution pops up.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Another thought would be to use silicon aquarium sealant between the aluminum and wood. It should bond with both.

Mike

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Wannabe said:
Airplane fabric and dope. Very light. :roll: :roll:
Bob
That's not bad idea Bob, I don't think anybody is planning on running rapids with an aluminum flashing boat? There are some light strong woven fabrics made for covering model planes.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I applaud Joey's fortitude for building this boat. If it were me, my caution would likely lead me to plywood bottom and fabric covering on the side frames. That gives the light weight that's promised, and works with a proven group of materials.

But, I also have the advantage here of hind sight. So, that discounts the observation a bit, ehh?

I want to see this boat next spring, Joey. I'll even buy you a beer, or wine, or scotch.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
jpsaxnc said:
Wannabe said:
Airplane fabric and dope. Very light. :roll: :roll:
Bob
That's not bad idea Bob, I don't think anybody is planning on running rapids with an aluminum flashing boat? There are some light strong woven fabrics made for covering model planes.
I am talking about fabric that you would use to cover the wings of a Stearman. That stuff is stronger than snot when doped. But it can be punctured. :(
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Executive decision has been made. I'll cut out and tack aluminum on the other side, bring the sides together and attach them at the stems and set the rocker. The bottom goes on next and then I'll rough up the aluminum and seal the wood/alum. joint with PL Premium Adhesive. PL seems to be proven product for small boat building on some other sites.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Started the other side. Easy ... trace around rail, mark parallel line 3/8" in from top and bottom and 1 and 1/2" in from the stems. Cut with regular scissors.......which is kinda strange.

100_1346.jpg

Lotsa nailing now.

Joey