17 lb pirogue.......maybe | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

17 lb pirogue.......maybe

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
No cannonballs...........maybe cotton balls.

She looks like a boat.

OOOooooooooo..........shiny!

100_1347.jpg

100_1348.jpg

Specs: Could change, though. :wink:
Length ... 13' 8"
Bottom width...22"
Top width....32 1/2"
Rocker - front and rear ......1 1/4"
Weight so far.....11 lbs.

She's so light, I have to tie her to the workbench.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I leveled the chines and attached the bottom with thickened epoxy. Tomorrow morning I'll fillet the inner and outer stems and maybe epoxy saturate the bottom. Man, I'm liking this old school boat building again. Got to use a plane, a hammer and NAILS! 8)

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This morning the epoxy was set up enough to trim the bottom down to meet the sides. Rolled on some epoxy on the inside bottom, turned it over and epoxied the outside bottom.

100_1349.jpg

Before the last round of epoxy it weighed right at 20 lbs + or - . She's two inches wider and the rails are of a bit thicker stock than originally designed.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looking even more like a boat now.

Next one, Joey, you can scout out some old signs for "Mail Pouch Chewing Tobacco" or "Chew Redman" etc. Not only a light weight skiffer - stylish as all get out. (I hear the gals really flock to those signs.) :wink:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Lookin' good, Joey!

I've been thinking throughout this build how easy it would be to punch a hole in that thin aluminum. I wonder if adding an inside layer of aluminum on the sides would be a good idea? I know it could hold moisture and cause rot problems, but sinking because of a hole would be a bad thing, too. It shouldn't add much weight, either. Just a thought.

Mike

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Mike, it IS some thin stuff. Yes, there's a chance that something could punch a hole in it....same as a SOF boat. The price you pay for light weight. I plan on carrying some duct tape for emergency repairs..... maybe some of that two part epoxy putty for a more permanent fix. I don't plan on going 6 miles out away from shore in this puppy. :wink: She's going to be a pond hopper and a protected water fishing craft for the slow moving bayous here.

Joey

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Just loving this thread; Tinnovation of the first order. Have you thought of adding a labrador to act as a guide dog when the reflection of the sun blinds you? How about insurance for people suing your a$$ when you blind them 8) Can't wait for the next instalment! Keep it up.
Cheers John.

Edit: You could call it the "ss olarium" :mrgreen:
Double edit: can't get the idea of "Crispy-J-Dupre" outta my head now
No offence meant mate just pulling your leg.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
No matter how successful this boat becomes, it will get you a lot of ribbing from this gang, Joey. Danged thing could paddle at 15 mph, and we'd make some wise a$$ remark.

"Pay no attention to the old man behind the screen." Wizard of Oz

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
John, Oh yee of little faith, I used advanced scientific geometric algorithms (or is that logorithms)and reflectivity data to ascertain the the optimal refractive angles so this "binding" condition would not occur. ..........Nah, I just nailed 'er up and let 'er rip. :lol: Hope it keeps the gators away, though.

Jack I can take the ribbing. Great minds have to put up with such drivel from folks with lesser vision. ..... Sigh..............

:roll: :wink:

Joey

Reactions: BEARS BUDDY

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
The gators might just see their reflection and feel amorous toward the boat. Just so long as you don't see your reflection and skeer yerself. :lol:
Formica or laminex as we know it hereabouts would make a most excellent boat I reckon and the finish would be superb. No good in rocky waters but should be fine in muddy ones.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey takes the pirogue out on Lake Verrete and those gator hunters on on the other side. One looks at the other and tells him , Bubba I just saw a UFO over on the other side of the lake. It's a shinny one and must be from Mars or the Moon since it is so shinny. The darn thing about blinded me and we need to get out of here before it comes over and gets us. It was floating just above the water and really scooting along like nothing I have ever seen. :shock:
No it was not a De Lorian , besides cars don't float or fly and this thing was just above the water going along over the tops of the waves.

Back in town they tell everyone they saw a UFO out on the lake .... You know an ....Unidentified Floating Object.
The next day Joey is sitting at home and on the news is a news flash about all the locals in there boats out on the lake looking for the UFO and trying to capture it to get the $1,000.00 reward and a free 6 pack.

All joking aside................
Joey... I am sure it will be a fine boat , light weight , easy to paddle , shallow draft and a eye catcher which will cause you to be answering a lot of questions when folks see it , on or off the water.
One word of warning about the pirogue.... When Jack is in your neighborhood DO NOT let him paddle it. With all his silver hair people will think he is a part of the boat. :roll:

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
jdupre' said:
This morning the epoxy was set up enough to trim the bottom down to meet the sides. Rolled on some epoxy on the inside bottom, turned it over and epoxied the outside bottom.

100_1349.jpg

Before the last round of epoxy it weighed right at 20 lbs + or - . She's two inches wider and the rails are of a bit thicker stock than originally designed.

Joey
The boat looks great, very sharp! Joey, What do you think of the revolution ply (strong enough?) What weight cloth did you use or just resin? TIA. James

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
JP, no cloth yet. I'll probably put a little cloth on the stems, on the bottom at the stems and maybe a piece near the middle where I sit. The Revolution ply is about as delicate in it's natural state as luan. Easy to snap a small piece with your hands.

This project is a "what can I get away with" type of build. One thing I discovered is that Western Red Cedar saves weight in the chines,stems and gunnels and appears to have more than enough strength for that.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Find the focal point and you could use it and the sun to start fires.

I'll bet you could also use it for a solar oven. :mrgreen:

Mike