A Plank Pirogue | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Plank Pirogue

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yeah, it's kinda embarrassingly exciting to realize that I just learned a lesson - the SECOND time.

Or, third. sigh

But, it IS easier yo correct an error when building with wood. Especially before we've epoxied on fiberglass. Maybe even adding in a "new design feature"?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Tumblehome panel strips installed and trimed flush.
IMG_4727.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack I had to look up that fancy word so, thanks guys.
After installing the combing ( top rails?) II was able to cut off those pesky batter boards, and tumblehome supports. The breast hooks are now installed so the construction part is complete.
IMG_4733.JPG
IMG_4737.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Decided to cover the bottom and sides with Poor Mans Fiberglass. I never seem do anything the easy way. The process is similar to using fiberglass and epoxy. Cloth and glued applied and waiting for it to dry.
IMG_4758.JPG
IMG_4760.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
This picture reminds me of a story. Years ago, before I started building boats, I was exploring the wooden boat field. Young boat companies were just starting up. I called several companies, expecting go be talking with a receptionist or secretary. Nope - they were still working out of a shed, or their garage. The owner himself answered the phone. I was on a first name basis with honchos of 3-4 boat companies.

This story is sbout when I called Chesapeake Light Craft. The owner and I talked awhile. In response to a question about epoxy finishes, he told me about getting one of his boats ready fo a boat show, He had carefully applied epoxy, scraped off the excess, and carefully closed the shed door to keep out dust. In the morning, he went out to load it up. There, in the center of that glassy deck, was an ant - permanently stuck into the epoxy.

He took the boat to the show as it was.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Two more coats of glue applied over a couple of weeks because the weather prolonged the cure time.
Used glue and wood flour to smooth out flaws around the stems. The last pictures shows the uncovered wood with a saturation coat of glue. I was surprised it is as clear as it is. I might apply another coat and then varnish.
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG
IMG_4766.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
JD, I can see you, pulling in that first fish. As I said before, it’s a chinkapin. It’s coming in on the left side of the boat. Just as a mosquito bites on the back of your neck,

Nice boat, by the way.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
As long as I'm able to fish the mosquito repellent and sun screen folks will be able to stay in business.
I hope the boat turns out ok. I always end up putting more effort into my boat experiments than I expect to. Don't think I have ever built any two the same. It would be less work that way, but boring to me.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bright idea gone dim.:oops:
Painted the boat and then decided it needed bottom protection. Rockite added to epoxy works so added to paint should also work. Wrong. Scrape off gooey mess and then paint boat again.
IMG_4790.JPG
IMG_4792.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
To a fish’s eye, green would be camouflage. Add some tree branches, a patch of clouds and blue sky. Maybe a squirrel in the tree, and a bird flying over (under.?) Maybe a boy, climbing the tree. With a slingshot in a hip pocket?

Oh heck! Varnish it.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack, it is painted green because the paint was a bargain. It was a returned miss-tinted gal. for $8.00. Trim may be a little bright for the ducks, but the fish won't care.
IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4800.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, green and white are the colors of an alma mater of mine - Michigan State University, so, you’re ok.

There’s a large farmstead near here, with a pretty yellow house, barn, tool shed, etc. I figure that they got a similar bargain on paint. Of course, that farmstead doesn’t do well at catching fish on the bayou.. So, you’re ahead of the game, ehh?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"The Rest of The Story." :oops:
I have always shared my mistakes and any problems I have had with my boats. If that helps another builder then it lessons my disappointment This boat has one of those 20' hulls. It looks good 20' away.
After painting I discovered some bubbles on the sides near the gunnels. I contributed them to being near the edges. The cloth was not tacked nor stretched like a canvased canoe would be. It was draped over the hull and the glued was applied as if using glass and epoxy. I made the repairs and repainted.
IMG_4779.JPG

After the paint dried I moved the boat from under cover for picture taking. After sitting in the sunshine for a couple hours I discovered a full blown eruption of bubbles.
IMG_4806.JPG

I will post more thoughts about the poor man's fiberglass latter on my other post https://www.southernpaddler.com/community/threads/poor-mans-fiberglass.10617/

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bummer. I went to a big Ace paint seminar years back. Dry paint and cured paint are definitely not the same thing. Latex paint dries really fast but takes a week or more to cure. In the meantime, all kind of crazy things might happen to it.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Some interruptions are not bad, like a couple of fishing trips or this. Global warming showed up in south Louisiana in a big way today, low 20's tonight so I had too get busy and pick my Satsuma oranges. Blessed with a great crop this year.
Not an interruption this year but another bountiful harvest. 21 of the 29 bags picked so far. Probably another 5 to 10 bags left for the "pick'em yourself" folks. This tree just keeps on giving.
IMG_4916.JPG