Digging Tools | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Digging Tools

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Ron was talking about using a machete to dig with - I'm assuming he uses it to chop up the earth so it can easily be scooped out of the way. Figured the woodsman's pal would do it better, plus do most of what you can do with a hatchet. Just an idea. I haven't tried it, though I do own the tool.

Actually I don't know how you are going to get a much better digging tool than what you already have. What don't you like about it other than weight?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I appreciate the suggestion on the woodsman's pal, cause I had thought about it. I could picture it in my mind, but had forgotten its name, and didn't know if it was even being made any more. Weight is the prime concern about he entrenching tool. I think you're right, without going to a full sized shovel, what I have is probably about as good a digger as I'm gong to find.

I could lighten both my wallet and my load by paying $300 for a titanium model, if such a one is being made. I was hoping someone had found a trowel that was actually sturdy enough to really dig with. All trowels I've seen are about as useful as a Garden Weasel - only useful for puttering around in soil that has already been loosened by a REAL tool. I'd like to find a trowel that will dig in hard soil containing rocks and roots.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Using the Machete to dig with
You can chop if you need to, but it is use for the most part by grabbing the dull side of the blade 6 inches up and the other hand on the handle. Gives you a digging area equal to a trowel with a lot more leverage.
On the last trip we made on the Brazos ,I found a small shelf up about five foot above the sand bar we were fishing from. It was just right for our tent , cots. Overhanging small branches were grabbing your hat and slapping you in the face so it was machete time , with the 21 inch blade I cleared us an area up about seven ft high around the tents ,there were heavy layer of leaves
so I cut a small limb that was bushy 5 ft long and swept the ground, I like to see the bare ground around where I am going to be bare foot, the I used the machete to dig a spot for the cots and leveled them.
All with one tool light and fast and easy.
Darrel made the statement on this trip that since I turned him on to a good machete he cant do without it.
I tried several heavy bladed combination tool and bolo type machetes , not with good results
The Ontario is in a class by itself.
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I did land surveying in a previous life. I couldn't begin to guess how much brush I've chopped or how many holes I've dug with a machete. It's a fine, all-around tool for camping. I keep one in the truck at all times. Don't get a short, cheap one. Get a good quality, long blade, keep it sharp, and it will serve you well.

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On all of our trips someone always has a machete with them ( Usually more then one in the group) and it is used for just about everything , including removing branches on the strainers across the river so we can paddle threw them. Darn handy for removing branches that would hit a hammock or tent and even cleaning out small bushes under the hammocks.
Bear even cut a 6 inch log from a blow down with it one day to open a passage on the river for our boats.

They are nothing fancy , just your ordinary run of the mill machete with a good , sharp , edge on it.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Longer blades are better for chopping. It's the leverage thing. Tip speed might play into it, too.

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was reading the reviews on the Gerber at Cabelas. Seams this is a common thread in the review section about it.

" I purchased this machete last year. the blade was very sharp and stayed sharp. the saw was great too. I only used it once last year and twice this year. Today I started to use it and the handle broke off. Any descent knife would have the blade run though and to the butt of the handle. This blade ends right at the beginning of the handle, is held on by four 1/8" long plastic dimples and one bolt. This design was born to fail. I really loved this machete, if I new that it was made this way I would never have purchased it. If the steel went all the way through the handle as it should have, I would have gladly paid twice the price. I'm going to call Gerber and see what they have to say. I hope they have found there error and have fixed it. But for 4" more steel, you go from a great tool to a waste of money. "

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
While Ronnie prefers the longer blade, I selected the shorter one. Actually, a couple of reasons. I don't do nearly as much bushwhacking as he does. I'm just not all that interested in that activity, nor its products. And, the 18" has a saw blade sharpened into the back side of the blade.

Hopefully, this tool will serve three purposes: bushwhacking, sawing, and digging. Though, my expectations are that the machete will dig about as well as an entrenching tool bushwhacks. Which is to say, neither tool is designed to do well at the other tool's primary function. And, we all know, there is nothing like having the right tool for the right job.

So, I'm spring loaded to the "we'll see" position.

Last night, an outdoorsman buddy of mine was telling about a Woods Pal, like what was recommended above. He liked it. Now has a machete that is too long. It requires too much energy to both accelerate and decelerate it - otherwise the carry through seemed excessive. And he's an experienced woodsman. So, again, we'll see.