Digging Tools | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Digging Tools

islandpiper

I was in the Tractor Supply last week and they had some really nice small shovels, point style like the old #2 shovel, but with a D handle, and about 24 inches long. Sturdy construction. Five bucks each!!!! I've been doing garden work with it and it will be good in the swamp too. piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Speaking of Tractor Supply Company (TSC), I found a NATURAL sponge there, in "Animal Health" section. Natural sponges soak up a lot more water than a petroleum based one does. This sponge is about 6" square and 3" thick, $3-4. Get one for sopping up the bottom of a boat, cover it with a mesh bag (from fruits or part of a woman's nylon stocking) and tie a line onto the bag. I have a bailing bucket on the other end of the line attached to my sponge.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I finally found an industrial strength gardening trowel. Its shank is very strong and looks like it won't bend at the first chance. I'm going to take a rat tail file to the leading edges of the bit, and serrate the edges some for cutting roots a bit better.

SundayForever

May 18, 2011
For paddling I have a folding entrenching tool that folds up nice and small and fits in one of the small lunch box coolers ( about the 6 pack size) and with the shovel is a roll of T.P. so everything is in one package.
Backpacking or hiking it is one of the heavy duty plastic trowels with the T.P. around the handle. Or a flat package of the lanolin baby wipes.

The baby wipes can be used for a lot of things besides the call of nature , they are great for an improvised bath when that grungy feeling comes over you or as face wipe to make you fell cleaner. They especially feel good if you are starting to get sunburned.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I concur on the folding entrenching tool, but sought something that was "almost as good but a lot lighter". The heavy duty trowel seems to be good.

At the same time, I looked for a cutting tool. For over 40 years, I've used a simple, folding pruning saw. Blade (about 10" or so) folds into the handle. I bought a machete, but it doesn't fulfill any needs for me. Others like them, useless to me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Bob, if bought it on the open market, and it was an arm's-length-transaction (neither party was getting an arm twisted, and was not under duress to either buy or sell) then its market value was set at that transaction - $3. Does it look like of Korean Conflict era or WWII? Wooden handle or all metal? Black, or OD color?