Digging Tools | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Digging Tools

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Daqd burn Jack ,
22 inch is an advantage just in the reach and cutting, 18 inch will work. The saw will cut but you will find that it is easier to cut most stuff with a good swing of the blade. It will dig better than a trowel , it is about the same size area on the end of the blade, but it will do it much easier because of the leverage you have with the long blade. To protect your hand that is holding the blade just grab a towel wrap the blade and get after it.I havent found this necessary holding the dull side of the blade
Take note of this , if you have the one with out the guard take a piece of parachute card and tie threw the handle in a loop,slip your wrist into that when cutting just in case you loose your grip.
This rig is like the T-V it does everything at about 90 % and a lot at way better than the other tools. It will replace a hatchet, trowel , shovel,and is pretty good dispatching things you dont want to get to close to. Easy to carry and light compared to carrying all those other tools.
I think you will like it.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
My woodsman Pal is rusting up in the shed someplace. I like knives as you know , it looked like a good tool so I bought one . Here is my experience with them.
There are to short, to heavy and the thickness of the blade doesnt work well they dont fit a sheath for ease of use.
A thick heavy blade sounds good but doesnt work well cutting, its made to chop not slice, I found the same problem with the bolo machetes ,like a hatchet it doesnt slice like a double bit axe.
All this stuff I have tried I need to have a garage sale. :lol: :lol:
I dont knock any off the above the Ontario just does a better job for me. Forty plus years of hunting fishing camping from the mountains to a beach the one tool that always goes is the onterio Machete.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Sorry, in some cases, there is no hope. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe in miracles so hang in there Jack , there is hope for you after all.
Now about the rest of us , Well that is an entirely different case since we know what works for us in the areas we go to. :D

My Machete has a 24 inch blade with a 5 inch handle is is well over 50 years old and still going strong. The handle is riveted on the tang of the blade with three rivets. Good luck on finding one of that quality today. :lol:

By the way it does what a Machete is suppose to do ...... CUT......which it is quite good at.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
i bought an Ontario on Ron's recommendation and now I never leave without it. I even carry it in my truck when not paddling/camping. Ontario's are pretty much indestructable. I have never had any problem with rust as they as phosphate finish. It will cut, chop dig and more.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Darrel built his recliner in a bank custom fit with his on a trip last summer.
Ron
IM002710.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
I bet this is the same knife you have ,they have been building it for the army and Marines for years , full tang and three rivets just like you described.
Look in the pic with Darrel.
Ron

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Most people think a machette is supposed to be semi-dull, but I keep mine extremely sharp (as in shave the hair on your arm sharp) and they hold an edge very well.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
I bet this is the same knife you have ,they have been building it for the army and Marines for years , full tang and three rivets just like you described.
Look in the pic with Darrel.
Ron

I was going to take a picture of mine and post it then I saw that picture of Darrels last night and that is just like the one I have. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, the new machete arrived this afternoon. Already, I have leveled 40 acres of red oak and shag bark hickory - blocked, split, and stacked it. Took about an hour and a half. Darned chain saw would have taken a few weeks.

I tried digging, and now have a trench 4' wide by 3' deep all around the house. That took, say, 10, maybe 20 minutes. tomorrow, I'll dig another hole, and bury that dirt.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
-
Kayak Jack said:
Well, the new machete arrived this afternoon. Already, I have leveled 40 acres of red oak and shag bark hickory - blocked, split, and stacked it. Took about an hour and a half. Darned chain saw would have taken a few weeks.

I tried digging, and now have a trench 4' wide by 3' deep all around the house. That took, say, 10, maybe 20 minutes. tomorrow, I'll dig another hole, and bury that dirt.

Dang if you don't sound like your a Texican. :mrgreen: Think I'll move to La.

The best portable digging tool I have is an old Army E-tool, of WW II vintage. However, it's heavy. Now that I'm older, I carry a Glock E-tool that weighs very little. It won't hack a hole into red clay like the military surplus shovel, but is still good for filling sandbags to shoot off of, or covering up a campfire. Blade angle can be changed like US military version, plus it has a saw blade that can be mounted on the handle; have not tried the saw yet. Another handy spade is the one sold by Cold Steel.........throws as advertised.