FlaMike's Pirogue Build! | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

FlaMike's Pirogue Build!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mikey,

My unsolicited input here. You're pretty lean on spacers. For more strength - and gunnels are the backbone of your boat - I'd suggest a spacer (with more surface area contacting both the boat and the in-whale) spaced evenly along the length of the rail. Fer instance, 2" spacer, 2" open space, 2" spacer, 2" open space, etc.

Nothing magic about that, but it works nicely. If your spacers are something different form 2", just substitute that width in for both spacers and open spaces.

Just my $0.02

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
KJ,

Your comments are always welcome, solicited or otherwise. :D

I understand what you are saying about the relative "lack" of spacers. What you might not be able to see from the pictures is that the boat was built with the designed rub rail, per plan.

My addition of that inside rail was for two reasons. One being I new I'd need some way of tying things to the boat, but being a fly fisherman, I wanted to avoid any line-grabbing cleats, if I could.

The other reason I added it was because I saw so many pictures of boats with that inner rail or "in-whale," and I loved the look it added. To tell the truth, the second reason came first, the other was a happy little coincidence that kept me from adding extra weight to the boat just for "looks."

So for this boat, I'd have to say that the boat was sound enough without that inner rail, and any strength gained is a bonus.

That said, I have used the inside rail to lift the boat and it held up just fine. But when I did, I remember thinking that it was "stronger than it looked." I'm not entirely comfortable with that.

Right now, the rail is supported by the 5 frames and a single spacer in between each frame. I'll add another spacer between each frame and existing spacer, effectively doubling the number of supports.

It won't have as much contact with the sides as you suggest, but since that rail is in addition to the standard rub rail on the outside, I think it will be more than enough.

Progress report:

Finished off the night by temporarily loosing the use of my right hand! :roll: Seems you can spend too much time with a death-grip on a random orbital sander. When I put the sander down, my hand retained it's shape. All better now! :lol:

Both seats are ready to be assembled. One came out perfect, the other is a little "suspect" in that I somehow managed to make the rear part of the seat support not quite as wide as it should be. Got too carried away trying to adjust for a slight difference between the two, using the jigsaw instead of a sander. The results being the upper dowel is much too close to the back edge, so close that I'm going to run some FG tape along the back edge, just in case.

Ah, and of the 4 bolts I got for the seats, two of them are too short! The bin I took them from must have been mixed, and I foolishly only measured the first one. I'll have to take another trip to the hardware store before I can put them both together.

My epoxy IS here! :D I had just enough to wet out all the glass cloth on the bottom and sides, with less than an inch of the resin left in the jug. Called Raka yesterday morning and another gallon of resin was delivered just a few minutes ago! I live close enough to them that there's no point in paying for "next day" delivery, UPS ground gets there just as fast.

The guys at Raka are great!

I'm normally up all night on Thursdays, so I can be ready for my next three day "work week," starting with a 12 hour, 7p to 7a on Friday night. That means my boat-work begins in a few minutes and can run right up to daylight-something, tomorrow.

To do:

Epoxy coat and assemble two Pirogue seats, and apply 3 or so coats of epoxy to the outside of the hull, filling the weave. If I can, I'll see about adding the additional spacers to the inner rail. I think I can do that with the boat upside down, while the epoxy cures. Compared to the last couple of nights, this is almost a relaxed schedule.

With that, it is done. :!:

I'll only have one job left for those mornings when I get home from w*rk. That would be to finish the truck rack. That's an easy one, as I've already got everything I need and I made a start on it, yesterday.

I'll get in some picture-taking and posting during the next few days. That and some weather-watching. I'm hoping for a break next week in the usual afternoon thunder-boomers. Boat's going in the water and nothing short of a hurricane is going to stop that! 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
"Finished off the night by temporarily loosing the use of my right hand! Rolling Eyes Seems you can spend too much time with a death-grip on a random orbital sander. When I put the sander down, my hand retained it's shape. All better now! Laughing"

Man I know what you mean! My fillet's were a little messy around the ribs and what a pain in the butt that was to sand off.

I finally finished and started glassing the inside last night which is a chore also. The outside was easy but the inside is a whole different puppy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
FlaMike said:
Tell you what, I'm only 55, but for some time now, I've been thinking of Ibuprofen as a daily, dietary supplement.

In my rather small circle, it's known as "candy."
I'm running ahead of you about 14 years. Knee surgery over a year ago left me with a bit of a pain (arthritic) and a slight limp. Tylenol was popular. Now, I use Glucosamine Chondroitin complex. No Tylenol. Works on my joints. May on yours. I get mine at Sam's. Not endorsing nor recommending, just reporting.

( Chuck stepping in here... Grits will take care of all those problems and even make you regular , if that is passable ..."O"oop's possible . )

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Chuck,

If grits weren't "passable," I'd of exploded a long time ago. I was born in Thomasville, GA and grew up secure in the knowledge that "gritz is groceries" and okra is cooked many ways, all of them good.

Sorry Jack, it just had to be said. :lol:

While waiting for the temperature in the garage to drop down a bit, I'm plottin' & plannin'.

I've picked out a safe place to lay out all the seat parts so I can begin their saturation coat. Don't want them collecting any sawdust when I start retrofitting some spacers in for the inner rail.

There are a few small "bubbles" where the cloth on the boat wetted out, but for some reason, didn't adhere to the plywood. The biggest of these bubbles being an inch and a half long, about a quarter-inch wide. I think most of this is a result of wetting out all but the last two feet of one side and then finishing that part after the rest had about cured.

I plan on using a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to excise these bubbles, then sand the surface where the bubble was, along with smoothing out the edges of the cut, and then fitting in a small scrap of cloth, epoxying it in place.

There's also a little bit of filler needed around the edges of the decking, fore and aft.

Then, I can start on the final epoxy coating of the bottom and sides, one after another until the weave is filled. I'll give it a little time between coats, and use that time to cut and fit those spacers in the inner rail, and turning over the seat parts when they are ready, and coat the other side. I should be able to get all the seat parts finish-coated during the night, and maybe even get them assembled.

Working in the garage, I don't have long to wait before laying on another coat of epoxy. With one oz hardener, (half very fast, half slow,) and two oz of resin as a "single dose," I find that this much is about all I can deal with at once, when working on a vertical surface. Any more than that, the mix starts gelling before I can spread it.

On a horizontal surface, I can use a squeegee and mix up a "double-dose." No problem getting that spread out, might even be able to handle a larger batch than that, but I'd rather not push it. Six ounces is about my maximum practical limit.

No offense to those "sensitive" to such matters, but I need to fuel-up first. Because it's quick and easy, I'm going to make up some scrambled eggs and ham, some grits, and toast. I almost never eat breakfast, except when camping for some reason, so having "breakfast" for dinner is not the least bit unusual for me. (With my schedule, that can happen at any time of day or night.)

Time to get started!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
FlaMike said:
I was born in Thomasville, GA and grew up secure in the knowledge that "gritz is groceries"
Friend Mike,

Grits aint groceries
Eggs aint poultry
'n the Mona Lisa
wuz a man.

Titus Turner

regards
bearridge

It is justice, not charity, that is lacking in the world. Mary Wollstonecraft

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Don'cha fret 'bout dat ground corn, Missah Jack....I dun't care much fer 'em myself.... :lol:

FlaMike..... Okra, friend.... now's ya talkin' 'bout edibles I can sink me teeth into...... :lol:

TradGlenn

Jun 26, 2007
Central Florida
FlaMike said:
Tell you what, I'm only 55, but for some time now, I've been thinking of Ibuprofen as a daily, dietary supplement.

In my rather small circle, it's known as "candy."

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Ha! Just go get you a box of BC Powders and a coke and you will be set.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Where I came from, "gritz" was pronounce with two syllables. :p

I know you can't tell for the pic below, what with the glare and all, but the final coat of epoxy is on and curing.

PBuild027.jpg

As a "build" goes, this one is DONE! :lol:

Did I get everything done I wanted to last night? No, I didn't. The seats are still looking like this:

PBuild026.jpg

That's one being dry-fitted, the other just being a pile of parts. A little more than half the seat parts did get a coat of epoxy, but it turns out, I simply didn't have enough room to lay them all out. The "boatyard" is rather tight. When the epoxy on the boat has hardened, I can lay a sheet of plastic across it and use it to lay the seat parts out on.

Those additional spacers for the inner rail will also have to wait, I found out that when you try to work under an upside-down boat, you have a hard time keeping your fingers out of curing epoxy!

I must say I spent a lot more time sanding before putting on the 3 additional coats of epoxy. Although the wetting out went well, I did find several places that needed attention. I probably spent more time sanding than putting the epoxy on! It was amazing to see how each new coat took less and less epoxy. I was told it would be this way, but still. . . Something to see!

That leaves two jobs to be done in the mornings, when I get home from "the place that pays me." (How was that?) 8)

One is to get those seats done, the other is to finish off the truck rack. I'm sure there'll be several other "little things" to be done, and they'll be done, but after I spend a little time on the water.

As for building a Pirogue, I can now say the first one is behind me. :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mikey,

You're doing a good job. I like the looks of your boat and seat.

If you want that boat to slip through shallows easily, coat the bottom with okra - - - vegetable snot.

Sorry, most northerners were raised on meat, potatoes and green beans. We don't understand bleached corn, eating things that crawl, or raising slimy vegetables. I fully recognize that some of the things I eat are weird too. Take milk. Who was the first guy that said, "Hey! See that animal over there? I'm gonna go over and drink whatever comes out of those four thingies hanging down."?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Mikey,

You're doing a good job. I like the looks of your boat and seat.

If you want that boat to slip through shallows easily, coat the bottom with okra

I would suggest the graphite and epoxy mix for the bottom of the boat.
Keep the Okra for the shore lunch. The hot pickled ones are really good on a river bank with anything , even Vienna Sausages and crackers. Jarvis , some good eating. :D

Now even Jarvis would go nuts in culinary heaven if you did some Okra and Tomatoes on the river bank with some fresh fried fish an grits. It could not get any better then that.

Yankees what do they know , they think a Yankee pot roast is the best. I have been told those Yankees only like a chunk of ( 3 ) three hundred year old jerky or hardtack , no flavor all BS. That might be why they all have brown eyes and are so full of it.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Chuck,

I never ever heard nobody eat fried fish 'n grits....not even a Yankee. If anybody does, I figger they mite az well fry okra 'n tomatoes on the river bank. Fer dessert a long licorice stick. :wink:

( Chuck stepping in here , Bear are you sure you live in that souther state which you told me you do ???? I will bet you even have fried green tomatoes close to you )

Indeed we do, along with biscuits, hog jowls, barbecue, mint juleps 'n tater salad, but in all my born days I never heard of nobody eatin' fried fish fer breakfast 'er grits any other time of the day. Ham 'n eggs go with grits....sausage 'n eggs...the Sunrise Special. I reckon ya wuz thinkin' bout polenta? :wink:

Down here fried fish goes with cold beer.....not grits. I reckon ya better git away frum the Sunshine State fer a while.....yer roots are showin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Roscoe: Howdy, my name’s Roscoe Brown. Is this Texas? I’m frum Arkansaw.
Ole Sam: Got any whiskey?
Roscoe: Yes sir, I got a bottle rite here in my poke. I’d be glad ta share it with you. Havin’ possum for yer supper are ya?
Ole Sam: Yeah, but you aint.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I have the graphite on hand, and plenty of epoxy. Boat goes in the water on Tuesday.

I'm holding off on joining the "black-bottom cult" until I've tried the boat out and am sure I'm not going to need a keel stringer. If it works right for me as is, then when the time to paint comes, I'll do the graphite bottom at that time.

I've got the perfect place in mind, a park on the Weeki Wachee River. Small sandy beach, boat ramp, perfect for lauching and doing a "terminal stability test." :D

On a week day, I should have the place to my self. Might even try a deep water re-entry. Got both a single paddle and a double, and I'll bring along a push poll. Before I'm done there, I'll know what works best for me. Pictures will be taken.

The settng is also perfect for a "fishability test," too. Been tying up some new flys for this trip, fresh and salt water.

If time permits, I can go straight from there, down to another park where the river meets the Gulf. Then I'll see how suited the boat is for stand-up, saltwater fly fishing.

Could be a nice day! :lol:

Of course, pictures will be taken.