Flu Shots..... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Flu Shots.....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
Gator, you have to see Charlie and Yakus Detrimenticus in camp. Even Dapper Al couldn't keep'em in line. They were feeding peanuts to the red squirrels, who then felt obligated to tear into our food packs for more peanuts.
Get Yaker to tell you about Dapper Al in Wawa.

P-Gator! We fed the squirrels peanuts to keep them from running up Jacks' trouser leg which started him screaming! :shock:

Now.....Dapper Al in WaWa.......I ain't say''n nutt'n!!!!! Dis is a family forum!
How many years has this been going on Al? :roll:

PS: Spent another 3 hours in the clinic today. Found my O2 getting into my bloodstream was down about a 1/3rd. Had to take breathing treatments. Have bronchitis and they say maybe walking Pneumonia, but my lungs are so noisy they can't tell just yet. Prescriptions of steroids, antibiotics, puffers and cough syrup. I'm not worried about dying......I'd have to get better to do that.... :? I remember Jack waited to long when he was sick with PeeMoanya and it damn near took him. I went a little earlier.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lots of rest , don't do anything , lots of liquids and stay warm. What you have is nothing to play around with , do what they tell you , take the meds , stay off your feet and when you feel better continue doing the previous.

The feeling of getting better is when the fools start doing things and relapse to there previous condition. This take several weeks to really get over. Trust me on that .. Been there more times then I care for and never got the dam "T" Shirt. :evil: Every time I get a head cold it settles in my chest and becomes the pe-monia. Then they can treat it so I get better.

Plain language ... Get lazy , park ya butt in bed or on the sofa , a recline is also great , stay warm , hydrate yourself with water or fruit juice and take the meds to get well.

Chuck.
Remember .. Next year get two of the flu shots to make up for lost time. :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Chuck.
Remember .. Next year get two of the flu shots to make up for lost time. :lol:

Now Chuckles.....imagine one of my hands in a fist.....now imagine a certain finger being extended and pointing straight up.....THAT ONE IS FOR YOU! :x
Now imagine me rolling my fist in a position that that certain finger is horizontal to the ground,,,,,,THAT ONE IS FOR YOUR HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!! :roll:

Thanks for the medical advice Doc Chuckles......Get lazy....I learned from the best! :wink: :wink: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldyaker said:
...PS: Spent another 3 hours in the clinic today. Found my O2 getting into my bloodstream was down about a 1/3rd. Had to take breathing treatments. Have bronchitis and they say maybe walking Pneumonia, but my lungs are so noisy they can't tell just yet. Prescriptions of steroids, antibiotics, puffers and cough syrup. I'm not worried about dying......I'd have to get better to do that.... :? I remember Jack waited to long when he was sick with PeeMoanya and it damn near took him. I went a little earlier.
Yakus Coughhackicus, I'm glad you're doing better than I did. Please take care of yourself. You are a dear, valued, respected, loved, warmly regarded, needed, and revered guy around here.

Oh, If you die, can I have your canoe?

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
I have to disagree with most of the comments on the flu shots. I have never gotten sick after taking a flu shot in about 13 years of them. It takes two weeks to build up the immunity. If you got sick right after getting one then I would bet you were already infected with something. The little buggers take a few days to build up enough to make you sick. Hell, half of my office has been sick in the last 30 days or so. The odds would have been pretty good that I would have gotten sick with or without a flu shot. Luckily, I did not. Hope those of you that are ill feel better soon.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Oh yeah.........In June I had a pneumonia shot. I just spent two days in the hospital with pneumonia...pass the bottle Jack.....I'll have a double.

Rest, vitamins, clean hands, juices, fruits and veges, stay away from groups of people, stay away from doctors.

http://tinyurl.com/64vdlw
Last year's flu shot was sorely mismatched to the strain of influenza that ended up circulating. That's a sad fact of the long process required to manufacture flu vaccine: Experts have to take their best guess, based on what strains circulated last flu season and what's circulating in other parts of the world, nearly a year in advance to accommodate the culturing of a key vaccine component in chicken eggs. Until someone finds a better way, we're stuck with that reality.

We also know that even folks who do get a flu shot may still get the flu (though often a milder case than perhaps they would have otherwise), and some will die. And, yes, it's recently come to light that the vaccine may not actually reduce mortality among older people, a benefit touted for years that's now not so clear-cut.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thought I would revive this old post with news of the swine flu outbreak. I almost cashed in my chips late in '08' when I got the flu and pneumonia. I had both a flu shot and pneumonia shot long before I contracted both ailments. I said I would never get another shot. I even got emails from someone from the SP site scolding me for saying I'll never get another shot against anything again.
Now I see swine flu is our next scare, and there no shot against it anyway! http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517982,00.html

Keep washing your hands and stay away from people!!!! Oh...Dago Red and Garlic work well too! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker....

I don't know who e-mailed you but they can have my share of those .... &*$@# .... shots , I'll be dammed if I will ever have any. Haven't had any for a long time and don't plan on starting now.

Anyone who believes in them , you are welcome to my share any day and twice on Sunday.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Swine flu?? Why don't we ever have disease from something desirable? Like, say, a mammalian flush? Or, nipular dyspepsia?

I got my first cold in over two years. Went to a large funeral last Thursday. Afterwards, we had a large dinner. Forgot to use the waterless hand cleaner that was in my pocket. Sinus, went bazonkers. Saltwater & baking soda sinus flushes pretty much corralled that, but not completely. Now, chest congestion. Will be OK in a day or two. In The meantime, I'm practicing being lazy. Getting pretty good at it too.

I strongly believe in preventive medicine and preventive maintenance. My observations, however, haven't supported flu shots as an effective prevention. Darned shame.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
. My observations, however, haven't supported flu shots as an effective prevention. Darned shame.

The shot is how the Guv'mint gets those micro chip GPS tracking devices into your body. :shock: Next it will mind altering chips.....PAY TAXES.....SHUT UP.......PAY TAXES.....SHUT UP.......drink kool aid....shut up.....on and on.

That is why the Guv'mint is so pushy giving flu shots. :roll:

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Well it gives the talking news heads something to talk about and talk about and talk about and talk about. :roll:
Guess they are getting in shape since hurricane season is just a month and a few days away.

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yer watching too many flicks, Br'r Bear. You think in terms of scripts. This will weaken your intellect, cause receding gums and hairline, and give
you grey hair. We all should exercise our free thought ions, be original, and not keep copying movies.

But, quite frankly,my dear, ....

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I was looking at this post and remembering my dad telling me about getting a flu shot in the Navy. This would have been right around the end of the Korean war. Said a few hours later he fell on his butt in the middle of an electronics course he was instructing and had to be taken to sick bay.

I do not consider myself a tough guy, but my father - he was indeed a tough guy. Strong as a damn bull. Those shots back in the early days must have been terrible.

I haven't ever tried one. Mid forties, reasonably healthy... just don't see the point yet. Figure it does my immune system good to get a workout every now and then - the natural way.

George

islandpiper

OK, my two cents worth. I always get a flu shot, every year. I get the pneumonia shots when they come due, too. I have seen the grim reaper twice, fairly close up and missed speaking to him both times as i was coughing too damned hard.

If they work out a flu shot for this one, or the one next fall, i'll get in line for one.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Don't get flu shots. Heard about too many people getting flu symptoms from a flu shot. Now I might get an ANTI flu shot if they ever come out with one. :roll: