glassing pirogue | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

glassing pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks for the compliments, guys. She does feel like a new boat. Hard to tell on the weight, but I think it only gained a couple of pounds. Hardly noticeable and well worth it.

I had a couple of hours to kill and the graphite coat looked so good that it made the sides look "not quite as good". So, one more coat of epoxy. I really like this stuff.

100_0667.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joey...

If you want to stripe the line between the graphite and the wood so it looks like this .

14x30%20052.jpg

Get your self some of the Duck Vinyl Electrical Tape ... 667 Pro Series. It comes in a round container and in several colors ( Red , Blue , Green and Yellow along with black ) and any ACE Hardware store has it. http://www.duckproducts.com

It is super sticky and will stick to the epoxy (Not the Graphite) . I use it as the accent line on my boats. You can varnish over it but it is not really necessary to waterproof it , since it is waterproof. Just run a rag over it with some pressure against the tape after you put it on the boat. :D

Chuck.
PS. If you can't find some and want it .... PM me on here with your home address ( snail mail) and I will send some to you.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Chuck. I thought about putting an accent stripe. I'll see how it works out with the paintings I'm thinking about on the sides to cover up some sore spots.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
You have to have an after picture, don't ya?

100_0686.jpg

Found every type of floating water plant to paddle through. Went through it all slick as anything. Nosed into the bank real slow and crunched up on some shells by mistake-- not even a mark on the graphite. Definitely a positive upgrade.

Joey

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
Yo pirogue looks mah-velous, Joey.

(Chuck, are you saying that blue accent stripe on your canoe IS electrical tape? Did you put a coat of epoxy over the tape or not?)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Wannabe said:
Loookin goood Joey. Let us know how much faster it is. :D
Bob

Might be a couple of tenths of MPH faster, and seems to get up to speed a bit better and glide a little farther. I didn't figure it was going to make a big difference on speed as I had kept the bottom well painted and free of large scratches. It took more work to keep it up though.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
leeh said:
Yo pirogue looks mah-velous, Joey.

(Chuck, are you saying that blue accent stripe on your canoe IS electrical tape? Did you put a coat of epoxy over the tape or not?)

Yep.... 667 pro series of the duck vinyl electrical tape. If it is covered with anything it is just some varnish from varnishing the wood area. It does not need anything over it.

Chuck.