Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross) | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks again guys for all the lovely words. I think she is a tribute to the genious of Matt. I love the lines of this one. I think something along the same lines, only scaled down to about 16 feet would be a beautiful thing. :D :D :twisted:

heya Cat,

Got this one today :D (not from the South Wind), I am letting the epoxy cure for a few days.

It is a Barramundi, Aussies most prized and sought after estuary sport fish.
This one is small (about 31/2 pounds), but is the first one that I have successfully landed from a paddle craft. They are hard,dirty fighters and will tow you into the snags faster than ya can think.
IMG_0539Small.jpg
I saw one landed in a stink boat today that was over a metre long.

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
....just remember....per "PETA" ...fish have rights too. ."...They have the right to be salt & peppered, then to be slowly sauteed in a cast iron skillet, over an open fire with real butter and a slice of lemon". Looks like dinner Mate. :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Matt & Dan,

Thank you very much :D :oops:

I will be taking her for a walk tomorrow on our local lake. Forcast is for 20 to 33 knots from the South East so I should be able to put her through her paces.

There will be lots of piccies and as soon as I can, I will try to work out some sort of a review of her. A mate is coming along in his very good sea kayak so we will have some real idea of performance comparison and I will also post his thoughts on her. He will be trying her out too.

I am very excited about this boat and I can't help but think scaled down versions at say, 14 and 16 feet might be very good things.

I have posted piccies of her on a couple of Aussie forums and there has been a lot of interest in this boat. Mainly from the Sit on Top crowd.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dan, again mate, Thank you very much. Coming from you and the designer of the Sea 1 that is a compliment indeed.

The boat and the concept has stirred a lot of interest over here. We have nothing like it. I believe that should a boat like the Sea 1 ever become commercially available here, it would be a winner.

re the foot braces, I have installed rudder mounting bolts during the build. At the moment, I just want to work out optimum seating positions etc for both solo and with a lightweight forward passenger. I am not convinced a rudder is necessary on this boat but in the event that it is. I am ready for it. Once all this is taken care of, either foot braces or rudder controls will definately be going in. possibly also moveable thigh braces.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick & Matt, I give you both a tip of my hat.

Matt - that is exactly what I had in mind over a year ago when we started talking about Verlen's boats. You have converted it into a design of beauty and the wood certainly show it of well. Also, about 20 pounds lighter than the solid glass versions.

Mick, nice craftsmanship. You can be proud. I expect that hull to weather the waves you have forecast for Monday, and give you a ride you won't ever forget.

This is a hull capable of "swamp to sea". This is a boat you can load for a day trip, or a multi-week expedition.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack,

Thank you mate. This boat is a winner!

Conditions yesterday were as forecast. lenthall's is not a big lake with only a couple of miles of straight channel for the SE winds to funnell down. Chops were no higher than about 6 or 8 inches.

This boat handled the conditions with aplomb. I am so impressed with her, that allmost all of my other boats are now for sale

A pretty full review on what I think of her and a few piccies is here. :D

http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5801#5801

I bloody love this boat. If the Sea 1 performs anything like mine, it is a superbly capable craft. I would not hesitate to recommend mine to anybody who is seeking a fast, stable and very, very versatile boat.

Here are just a couple of piccies :D

IMG_0608Small.jpg

IMG_0606Small.jpg

IMG_0600Small.jpg

IMG_0594Small.jpg

dawallace45

If any of you guys want to get a birds eye view of our paddling areas over here and you have broadband just install Google earth and check us out , for my area just put in the place you want to check out in the fly too box as in " Middle Creek , Qld , Australia " , other places in my area to check out are Round Hill Creek, Eurimbula Creek, Pancake Creek, Deepwater Creek, Baffle Creek , the Narrows , Turkey Beach , Rodds Bay and Lake Awoonga , Mick has a pile of places down his way you can get a real good view of , actually I checked out his place yesterday and got a real good view of his house but he can give you a list of places to check out that he paddles , one of them being Lenthalls Dam

David