Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross) | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
Several layers of ply, cut to shape and then laminated one on top of the other to build up the height to what I wanted. Will take tsome macros today.

I had a stack of off-cuts from the various builds and decided to use them. A lot of work but I think it will have better load capacity when tied to my roof bars.

OK , you did the same as I did with the coaming for the Freedom , I was thinking you found an easier way of doing it. I cut mine out by hand , what a pain but it was worth it.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, I brace up under my decks, particularly the aft deck. I have to crawl up there for self-rescue, and it's nice, sometimes, to sit there while eating lunch.

You made an inverted "vee"; I make an inverted "tee". I run a strip of plywood horizontally across, under the centerline point of the deck and glue it on with thickened epoxy. Then I cut & fit a little centerpiece & glue it in vertically, in the center. A few of these will really stiffen up a deck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Jack,
Good idea mate. I have heard you mention your system before but completely forgot about it.

I am pretty confident my deck braces will be adequate. probably on the next similar build I will bore holes in the brace and run a strip of ply on the horizontal as well. Sort of like a "H" bream in cross section.

Oh yeah, also under the apex of the deck, I planed a strip of 2 X 3/8 timber to match the V of the apex and laminated that to the underside. Full length between the Deck supports and the stems. I just forgot to take some piccies. sorry mate.

I was also going to gussett under the side deck in strategic places (load bearing points) but I have really leaned hard on the coamings and they are strong enough to take my weight, no problem (200 pounds on on coaming at a time) I won't be tying her down that tight. :shock:

Where was I? oh yeah - post piccies. :D

better shot of the cockpit. :D
if you look at the coaming lip join. it does not quite line up with the deck seam. I only noticed that after the thing had been glued down. :x
mutter mutter mumble snort. I can't believe I bloody did that.
IMG_0481Small.jpg

Better shot. :D
IMG_0477Small.jpg

Bottom is graphited. :D
IMG_0484Small.jpg

Pretty :D
IMG_0493Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
g'day Bro :D Thanks mate. I would love to come over and help you if I could. :D :D

As it so happens, hollidays are due. I have got all of April off but wont be coming to the states this year. :( (hopeflly 2008)

I am really trying to get her done in time. April, May and June are the times out Bream, Tailer (bluefish), Burnett Salmon and Javelin Fish really turn it on round here. :D This year is shaping up to be a beauty. :D :D

I have been hearing reports of quality fish being caught allready. Never mind the solid fish, Hervey Bay is also home to our prized little winter whiting. They only grow to about 12 inches or so but they are so prolific in season, individual catches can number to 200 or more in a day. They are very, very good to eat with sweet white flesh and they freeze very well.

There are no bag limits on them. Southern retired people travel up here every winter specifically for the whiting fishing. They come up with a caravan (I think you guys call em trailers) A common saying round here is that they come up with a freezer full of southern meat and five dollars and a shirt, They stay six months, don't change either the shirt or the 5 bucks and go back with a freezer full of boneless whiting fillets. :D

I hit the winter whiting a couple of times a season and that is enough for me and mine for the rest of the year. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
if you look at the coaming lip join. it does not quite line up with the deck seam. I only noticed that after the thing had been glued down. :x
mutter mutter mumble snort. I can't believe I bloody did that.

Darn , Mick.

Since you goofed up and it does not line up , it looks to me like the only thing you can do is to toss the boat out and start all over with a new one.

Do me a favor ... when you toss it out ... just set it out side your shop and as soon as they have a bridge going from Florida to Australia I will drive over and take it off your hands .... You know to save you any embarrassment from when someone see's that mistake , if they would see it at all. :roll:

NO .. You do not have to thank me for helping you out of such an embarrassing problem , what are friends for if they can't help each other.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck
PS. I like that green line , it really sets the colors off and makes the boat look sharp.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Oooohhh Mick. Yeah that looks terrible... not!

I would not have noticed at all if you hadn't pointed it out! I am prepared to bet $5AU no one ever points it out to you. They'll be to busy admiring how beautiful it is :)

I know what it's like though. I ended up recutting the small bearers under the breasthooks on the aft of my Pirogue because they were not quite right. If anyone had been in the bottom of the boat inspecting it carefully they might have noticed.

I think you are using the "builder's eye". I still have a slightly wiggly bottom having not thought of temporary lower rails to straighten it out before gluing the base joints. I showed my Dad the boat for the first time at the weekend. He has an eye for accuracy from his engineering days but all he could say was "Wow, it looks great!".

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I like that green line, it really sets the colors off and makes the boat look sharp.
exactly........

I was making love to this girl and she started crying. I said, "Are you going to hate yourself in the morning?" She said, "No, I hate myself now." Rodney Dangerfield

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
g'day Bro :D Thanks mate. I would love to come over and help you if I could. :D :D

As it so happens, hollidays are due. I have got all of April off but wont be coming to the states this year. :( (hopeflly 2008)

Mick.........

If and when you can manage to get over here if you would let me know a little ahead of time .... like a couple on months ..... I can set up a paddling an camping trip for you.

Now I wont , can't , would never , guarantee the character of the other folks that would want to go paddling an camping with you.
All I can discreetly ( I am sort of bashful , Ya know :oops: ) say is that I would be the only sane one. Excluding yourself ... naturally.

Only reason I am telling you this is when it comes about and it is posted on the forum there will be a lot of BS Throwers like Kayak Jack , Oldyaker , Bearridge , Bears Buddy , Swamprat ,( Those instantly come to mind since they have a Dr. Degree in BS Throwing) and a ton of other almost normal folks who have said they would like to meet and paddle with you. My guess is that they want to wreck the good relations we have with your country.

Who knows we might even get Matt to actually build a boat that floats for you to paddle while you are over here. If not I have a spare one or two of his designs that do float. Heck between all of us we could offer you one heck of a choice of boats.

Chuck.
PS. I would even be willing to get the necessary stuff so you could show me how to build the Southwind in two or three days. You explain it as you build it , while I watch , take notes and have a cold one. :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
No problem. :D if I am on a day off, we gould sneak out to Lake Lenthall & murder a couple of bass & barra? :D They're going off out there at the moment. :D :D :D

She"s done :D :D

I finished her this afternoon and will take her outside tomorrow for some better shots. I am too excited to sleep :D The lines of this boat are truly beautiful to me. I keep going back down to the shed to walk arounf her and to just gaze at her. If she paddles half as well as I think she looks I will be a very happy man. She is testament to the genius of Matt.

I weighed her this afternoon before I put the final touch up coat of epoxy on the deck. She weighs 441/2 pounds and considering I was shooting for 50 or less, I am feeling pretty good. :D Some picces from the shed. :D

IMG_0504Small.jpg

IMG_0505Small.jpg

IMG_0508Small.jpg

IMG_0501Small.jpg

A

Anonymous

pirouge

Ahh; Mick,
If you don't mind. Just slip it in an overnight pouch and send it this way. I will be more than happy to give it a test paddle for say , five or ten years. If I think it is ok then I will send it back. [Postage due, of course]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

With you being the refined gentleman that you are I still believe that in order to keep your reputation at that fine standard , you should ship the South wind over here and let someone (Like Me ) who has no reputation (except for all bad ) try it for a while.

Now the outriggers are a nice touch but I really did not plan on sailing it or going out in the ocean for sail fish. The TV is an nice bonus but I go paddling an camping to get away from the TV , much less look at it while paddling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can discuses this before you send it over here for a trial paddling , unless you want the paddling for not doing that. Everyone deserves a good paddle now and then. :roll:

Good looking craft , it shows your craftsmanship and ingenuity.

Chuck.
PS.. I was looking for the wet bar , guess you have it hidden in the aft section.