Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross) | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Fibre glass (85 gram woven matt) is fitted to the inside.

IMG_0351Small.jpg

Wet out coat is on.

IMG_0356Small.jpg

dawallace45

10 boats ! Mick , I think you may have a problem , even by my standards you may have a problem and I generally work on the idea that if some thing is worth while doing it's worth over doing , I some times go over board but have sort of worked that I probably don't need any more rifles than 25 or more pistols than 10 [ the most I've ever owned at one time ] the 11 or so rifles I have now are much more manageable in the safe but I do miss my pistols , I now have 3 canoes and two boats I think I probably need about another two canoes but I'm going to get rid of two of the ones I've got , also think I need another two boats and a inflatable kayak , come to think of it I'd really like a Sharps copy in 45/70 , a Winchester 95 in 30/06 and a Ruger No1 in 30/06 and a Rossi lever gun in 357mag , and I really miss my Beretta M70 and my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt ,

Hell Mick I think maybe we both need a intervention , you know where some of your mates grab you and take you away fishing and shooting for a few weeks and keep you with a rum in your hand until every thing comes back into perspective , think I'll start work on that idea as soon as I finish the house

By the way the new one is looking great

David

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi Mick,

85gram! My supplier either sold me 120 g or 200g... could that be why I had trouble wetting through the fabric?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Steve,

I don't think so. I used 200 gram tight woven stuff on my wadefish and had some trouble with it but not as much as you by the sound of things.

What temperature was it where you were trying to wet it out? I think if where you were working was cold, it probably would affect the viscosity of the resin and make it more difficult to work into the glsss. I don't know enough about epoxy to say yay or nay. I just find the lighter stuff easier to work with and less thirsty on the epoxy.

A few hours with plenty of real course discs on your ROS will hide a lot of sins mate. I wouldn't stress over it too much. i spent a lot of hours cleaning up my stuff-ups on the inside of my swampgirl. At the end, you couldn't even see most of them.

I would definately be going with the 125 gram stuff on the inside though. ( if at all) some here son't use glass on the inside at all and that seems to be strong enough. I have'nt been game enough to try it yet.

any chance of a piccie?

If it will make you feel better mate, I will take a shot of the appalling epoxy job I did on my first attempt. A stripper Gil Gilpatrick puddle duck. It is still on the racks in another shed. I have been too ashamed to get it down and finish it. i started it in 1999. :oops:

JEM

80g? Is that like 80 grams per square meter? If so that converts 2.4 ounce cloth. That's pretty thin. Looking at your pictures Mick, I'd swear your cloth is heavier than that. But I could be wrong.

120g converts to 3.7 ounce which is still thin but better. 200 gram converts to 5.9 ounce which is the standard for canoe and kayak building.

The weave is what can make glassing easy or difficult. If it's tight weave, then the cloth has a tendency to be stiff on not want to conform to corners and such. 200g e-glass with a normal weave shouldn't have given you that much trouble. Unless it has some special coating.

I say all of this not chastise, but to provide information. I want you guys to be safe and enjoy your boats. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm not sure what the appeal of a tight weave cloth is. I darned well know (at least some of) its faults. As Matt says, it does not like to conform to corners, bends, etc. I found that it doesn't like to conform to ANY curve except a gentle, outside curve. And even then you'd better line up the weave with the centerline of the boat; do not have it offset at any angle. NEVER AGAIN would I ever use a close weave or tight eave cloth.

Loose weave cloths will easily squiggle themselves around to conform to all the curves, bends, corners, etc. that are the real life situation in building a boat. Tight weave for flat surfaces, maybe, but never again for real boat work.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
hi Matt,

Fair call mate.

My choices are either 85 gram or that 200 gram tight weave stuff. My LOCAL surplier only sells 3oo gram very tight weave stuff and I am guessing it would be ever worse! I have used a little of it elswhere and it is a total bitch to wet out and doesn't dissappear completely - ever. :evil: I wonder is Steve might be using something similar.

The 85 gram stuff I have been using has stood up very well on my swampgirl and pirogue. i am trying to keep weight down on my south wind and the light stuff is just soooo much easier to use. The hull seems very rigid and strong as it is at the moment. if I think it is necessary, a bit later, I will put another layer of glass over the bottom.

I used the 200 gram cloth on the outside of my wadefish and had trouble getting it to ly flat when wet out. also had trouble getting it to conform to the contours of the hull. I think it also made the boat considerably heavier than it needed to be. (but it is very strong though) :D

VTFogg

Jan 14, 2007
Rutland, Vermont
Mick,

The boys and I just read through all 5 pages of this post. Wow! The boat is beautiful, and your progress is amazing. A great example of what can be done.

We're looking forward to seeing more. Great job, and good luck.

VTFogg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Foggy,

Thanks mate, :D

I just love building these things. :D

Decks are on. :D :D
IMG_0425Small.jpg

Saturation coat, Nice & shiney :D :D :D
IMG_0429Small.jpg

IMG_0427Small.jpg

Been doing most of my work at night. Temp has been 100 plus these past few days and it been just too hot in the shed to do much.
A cool South East change has just arrived though. Just in time for me to go back to work.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick

It is looking like a mighty fine boat. I especially like the grain in the wood for the deck , that is pretty.

It is pleasing to see the progress going along at such a rapid rate and I am looking forward to when it is done and you ship it over here to me for a trail paddle.

As I told you earlier ... I should be able to get it back to you in a few years
, 10 or 12 ........ at the earliest. :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Chucky.

Mate, if you lived closer, you would be very welcome to BORROW her any time you liked. :D

Every day, I walk around her and just can't believe how pretty she is. my workmanship can't do justice to a design such as this.

Deck is glassed. :D
IMG_0440Small.jpg

More sanding,
IMG_0453Small.jpg

Workin on the coaming :D
IMG_0465Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Several layers of ply, cut to shape and then laminated one on top of the other to build up the height to what I wanted. Will take tsome macros today.

I had a stack of off-cuts from the various builds and decided to use them. A lot of work but I think it will have better load capacity when tied to my roof bars.

Oh yeah,

BB thanks mate but not yet. :oops: