I have a camping project to work on , making deposits | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

I have a camping project to work on , making deposits

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
What if ya come up with some extension legs ta yer UJ seat? Four 18-24" long sections of PVC pipe that give long legs ta yer seat (after ya git off the river)....with a outhouse hole in it? [chuckle]

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Are there any pictures of the much touted and highly recommended Commodore seat? I know it's probably in a thread here somewhere, but I haven't run across it.

I'm starting to think that Bear just made it up to confuse us.

George

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I've been putting some serious thought into this, and I think I have the solution.

Take a toilet seat, and drill four holes in it - two near the front, two near the back.

Rig up a rope harness to hang the seat from a tree branch.

Perfect for you guys that like to sleep in hammocks. Plus, you could set the height any way you wanted to, and you don't have to worry about chair legs getting in the way of the...ah, err... blast pattern that can result from too much camp food.

GBinGA

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend George,

I seen a pichur a while back with Gatormac usin' it. Not a good pichur of the chair. It iz a reglar $7 lawn chair with a plywood seat. He cut a butt hole in the plywood.

regards
bearridge

ps I like the swing 'n poop idea. [grin]

Italy is not technically part of the Third World, but no one has told the Italians. P. J. O'Rourke

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
gbinga said:
Are there any pictures of the much touted and highly recommended Commodore seat? I know it's probably in a thread here somewhere, but I haven't run across it.

George
Yer right, I remember seeing a picthur in a thread here somewhere, but danged if I know where it is. I seem to remember one with Bear using it and one of just the chair. Might have been on one of the St. Marys River trips.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear.... You mentioned using the Oldsparkey Pirogue Seat.

Like you ....I was thinking of something along this line , not just like it but in the ball park.
P429631.jpg

But then it would take up a lot of room in the canoe , so something smaller is needed and I might of located it , easy to make , just use the Visa Card. :lol:

imagewrap.img

Normal size seat on it , 14.5 off the ground , packs to 19 x 14 x 5 and will hold 600 pounds while only weighing 7 1/2 pounds. Plus I'm betting it can be used without the bag since the bottom of it is wide open. "O" that 600 pounds is the weight on the seat .... not the weight in the little bag if it is being used. I knew I needed to splain that , especially on this forum. :D

Looks like there is more thinking to be done but I will have to use a normal chair for that. :lol:

Chuck.

islandpiper

The long fabled and highly popular Commodore's Chair might work fine, but the thought of packing a folding lawn chair into my pirogue seems a bit awkward. I might rather have that full-service stove and oven that TRR talked about a few months back.

There's got to be a better way. And, just for the record, we don't have sand here, at least in the bayous and swamps. There may be sand in the rivers. The high ground in the swamps is black and ROOTY, no danger of cave ins.

If you are just out for a day or so, this might work:
upimg6%5CChampagne-Cork-Stopper_50806.jpg

Standing way back.....piper

islandpiper

Chuck, you could make one of these, as shown above
P429631.jpg

pretty easily, and just leave the back off of it......and light ply for the seat with the requisite hole in it. I have seen these and there is no "pivot" at the joint. Rather, the seat and back are two separate units and the seat slides in to the back part. A good covering of epoxy/varnish and a mesh carry-bag and this could ride in the bottom of the pirogue and keep sleeping gear, etc up off the bottom and out of the damp.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper ...

You have several good points in your idea , I was thinking of a more straight leg design with the necessary hole in the proper parking place.
I have to agree without a back on it then it would be available for other campers since the occupant at the time would not be able to nap. :roll: I think the front legs might need to be extend since I would hate to see anyone falling off and landing on their chin in front of it.
I especially like the idea of being able to place it in the boat to keep some of the stuff up off the bottom of the boat.

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My portable shootin' bench iz too short fer me....so I got four 12" long sections of PVC.....that raizes the bench jest rite....I reckon it kin do the same fer yer paddlin' chair. Fer big fellas, the PVC gotta be thick. [grin]

regards
bearridge
southern test facility
bodine college

We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries. David Rockefeller

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Chuck, This is the one I made a while back. Scrap wood and a couple of hinges. Fits in the bottom of the canoe with no problem. Also fits another bottom :wink: .

Note that the legs are cut on a slight angle where the hinge is. This keeps the seat in a solid position while in use.

stool-2.jpg

stool-1.jpg

stool-3.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You about hit it on the head, Piper San. The Commodore's chair sits a lot nicer'n it carries. And, frankly, I haven't seen anything on here that is as good. Not even being equal, makes all the rest poor, poor indeed.

Being aluminum, it's light weight. And the seat has an opening in it long enough to accommodate fellas. And the base is a lateral connection in the fore and aft ends that sets on sand as well as on clay.

Were I to attempt a design, I'd start with the seat and work down. I don't care how flat footed a stool is - if it doesn't sit comfortable to the butt, nothing else makes any difference. Get the seat right first; it's the heart and soul of this project.

Next would be the base that sits on the ground. Only when the top and bottom ends are designed can you finally begin to figure out what needs to be there to connect them. Then, try to trim it down to "canoe size".

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I really like your idea on this......
stool-3.jpg

With some modifications ( If you don't mind) I believe it can be made more compact for what I am thinking. Now if no one likes it then they can locate a tree and use it with the poison ivy or Spanish moss with the red bugs in it :oops: as comfortable seat and a wipe.

Some trips we start out with guys that have blue eyes and at the end of the trip there eyes are brown , sort of indicates there level is at the full stage. :wink: Personally I like the security of having a comfortable place to visit and contemplate the problems of this world and Harry's ( The Commandos) chair is not on some of those trips but the urge to go is always there on the trips. Unless the camper saves it up and then deposits it on us in there postings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like Jacks idea ( Shutter , the world is coming to an end) about starting at the top and working down , sort of follows the natural flow of things.

Chuck.