Mijiienmungshing 07.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Mijiienmungshing 07....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK....I posted a bunch of pix on here and they went and disapeared in cyber world! :x So, I'll post a couple at a time instead of going thru alot of work again and have it go away!

Anyway, Miji for short stands for much rain, wind, cold, and little sun. We still managed to have a good time. Thanks to Jack for being a gracious host. Of course Smiling Dapper Al was there, Camper Dave, Beaverwood AKA Charlie, Jack and myself.

Camper Dave in the bow on the way to the "Island"!
Oh%20Canada%20010.jpg

Our beach campsite....complete with squirrels attacking food packs!
Oh%20Canada%20019.jpg

Charlie on the left with Camper Dave and Kayak Jack in the rear. I was very pleased to make friends with Charlie. This guy is Mister Canoe. Knows quite a bit and has canoed quite a bit.
Oh%20Canada%20035.jpg

More pix to follow......

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
We did alot of this....waiting for the rain and wind to die down....Still was nice to kick back...
Oh%20Canada%20037.jpg

Dapper Al...doing what he does best.... "Look'n Good!!!"
Oh%20Canada%20038.jpg

View from my hammock....
Oh%20Canada%20040.jpg

Another Miji view...
Oh%20Canada%20044.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Charlie AKA Beaverwood AKA Mister Canoe on a beaver dam....hence the name 'Beaverwood'!
Oh%20Canada%20050.jpg

I don't know if I want to know what Camper Dave and Charlie are doing....pretty weird! :roll:
Oh%20Canada%20053.jpg

Kayak Jack gracefully exits his boat :? .......
Oh%20Canada%20048.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Another Miji shot...
Oh%20Canada%20055.jpg

Miji once again...
Oh%20Canada%20056.jpg

Jack took us to Wawa for a day....If you remember that town in the old TV show 'Northern Exposure', this is it!
Oh%20Canada%20066.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
A Canadian Icon....The moose.
Oh%20Canada%20068.jpg

Getting the evening campfire ready....notice how hard Jack is working?
Oh%20Canada%20062.jpg

Downtown Wawa, population 3505 the day we were there....
Oh%20Canada%20071.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Old Womans Bay, Superior AKA Gitchi Gumi...Charlie Says it's Bill Masons final resting place..
Oh%20Canada%20082.jpg

My new toy and myself...
Oh%20Canada%20089.jpg

Camper Dave bored with rain and wind builds an inukshuk...
Oh%20Canada%20090.jpg

Tale of the Inukshuk....
Oh%20Canada%20069.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Charlie....being the great guy he is, let me paddle his Sea Wind around the island.....the finest solo boat I have ever paddled. I am now taking collections and begging for your spare change..... :cry:
It's a beautiful boat!
Oh%20Canada%20094.jpg

Dapper Al's birthday, so we made a good breakfast and I baked up a large blueberry muffin. We sang Happy Birthday to Al. Here is Dave trying to get fashion tips from Al. When we went to town, all the gals remembered Al from other trips. They didn't even notice the rest of us. :oops:

Oh%20Canada%20100.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Another great view from the Kings Highway...
Oh%20Canada%20101.jpg

If your on the Kings Highway(17)...You must have lunch here, great people and great food!
Oh%20Canada%20115.jpg

Oh%20Canada%20112.jpg

Gitchi Gumi and her Ice Water Mansions....Beautiful and dangerous....at the same time.
Oh%20Canada%20123.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Al for your wisdom....Jack, thank you for being you and a gracious host!....Charlie, thanks for your experience, knowledge and friendship, we really need to party together! :wink: ....Dave, thanks for your spice and endless laughs!
Jimmy.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Great Piccies mate, Thank you for sharing. :D Looks like you had a real good time.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

What sort of canoe is it that you are paddling? Looks like a fine boat.

Re the Sea Wind,

What specifically, is it about this magnificent boat that makes it superior to paddle? (inquiring minds need to know) :oops:

Jacks Boat, What can you tell me about it? I like the lines of that one too. Was it a wet exit in the piccie? :p

What are the ice castles you mentioned please

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jee , Why are you guys all wrapped up like you are in the arctic? Now , Please don't tell me it was cold , after all a lot of us are still in shorts when outdoors and drinking lots of ice tea to stay cool.

For some reason I think you managed to throw all that clothing on just to make us feel cool and actually start shivering while someone took the picture. Yep , I know you jokers and the tricks you like to play on us. :lol:

If it was really cold and the pictures are not a joke on us , have you managed to thaw out or are you still frozen ?
"O" By the way how did your new hammock work out for you ?

Great pictures and a trip report but there is one thing I have to ask......

Oh%20Canada%20068.jpg

In the above picture .... which one is the Moose ? I have never seen one that is alive or in the wild , unless it is the one with the stocking cap on and that one i know. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Well Mick, my tub is a Souris River Quetico 17 kevlar/epoxy at 44 pounds. It hauls a ton and is quick.

The Sea Wind is fun! It makes a crappy paddler like me look like I know what I'm doing. It handles well in heavy and choppy sea. I took it out in somewhat sporting waters and it was like a sports car.

Ice water castles.....from a ballad. http://www.corfid.com/gl/wreck.htm
Well now....Jack did have one wet exit judging from the swearing it was pretty wet. :wink: Now this exit in this piccie was a new method he is working on........ :roll:

Go ahead Chuck.......have your fun! We stuck thru the cold, we are tough! If we were in the Mafia.....Your handle would be 'Big Pussy!" :lol:Thanks for the save Chuck! Brain fart here!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
oldsparkey said:
Jee , Why are you guys all wrapped up like you are in the arctic? Now , Please don't tell me it was cold , after all a lot of us are still in shorts when outdoors and drinking lots of ice tea to stay cool.

For some reason I think you managed to throw all that clothing on just to make us feel cool and actually start shivering while someone took the picture. Yep , I know you jokers and the tricks you like to play on us. :lol:

If it was really cold and the pictures are not a joke on us , have you managed to thaw out or are you still frozen ?
"O" By the way how did your new hammock work out for you ?

Great pictures and a trip report but there is one thing I have to ask......

Oh%20Canada%20068.jpg

In the above picture .... which one is the Moose ? I have never seen one that is alive or in the wild , unless it is the one with the stocking cap on and that one i know. :lol:

Chuck.
Chuck you are right both of the mooses do favor alot.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Dapper Al....Look'n Good in Puddle Duck...
Oh%20Canada%20046.jpg

Much time spent here taking cover from wind, rain and cold. Dang hot chocolate is good!
Oh%20Canada%20037_1.jpg

Camper Dave keeping warm.....I believe this is where he is starting to get Island Happy....AKA Pyscho :shock:
Oh%20Canada%20021.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Morning coffee...
Oh%20Canada%20039.jpg

Chatea De Cardboard....a very good vintage! :wink:
Oh%20Canada%20041.jpg

Iknukshuk...Inuit for a good way to travel.....
Oh%20Canada%20070.jpg

My American Legion Card even works here....
Oh%20Canada%20072.jpg

This is where I believe Camper Dave lost it...he was cutting wood with Charlie and starting dancing and chanting with a pine knot in his hand shaking around. I think he was dancing and chanting for better weather....let me just say he does a great rain dance! :roll:
Oh%20Canada%20096.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Beach combing on Superior....
Oh%20Canada%20081.jpg

The Great Voyaguer Trail....Tough Guys!
Oh%20Canada%20073.jpg

I pay homage to the Great Voyaguers by building an Iknukshuk.....Those boys are my heros.
http://www.inukshuk.ca/
Oh%20Canada%20091.jpg

Dapper Al on the way home...Ain't enough OOOO's for the smoothness of Dapper Al!

Oh%20Canada%20105.jpg

Batchawanna Bay...Old stomping grounds of Al's...
Oh%20Canada%20109.jpg

Jack and Charlie leading the way over the Macinac Bridge into the UP....YOU BETCHA! It was so windy, we needed an escourt to cross, white caps on Huron and Michigan.
Oh%20Canada%20122.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jimmy,

Nice pichurs. Good ta see Camper Dave knows stylish neckwear. :wink:

We were lookin' fer some coolish weather ourownselves, but I never even needed a jacket. :cry: It wuz hot along the Puget Sound. We had ta run the sweet air the whole trip. I'm glad ta see someone got a break frum summer.

So ya built a plastic boat? Nice. I been lookin' at Bell 'n Wenonah, callin' the dealers agin, but ever time I reach fer my billfold, I hear bagpipes. Aye Laddie! Not only that, I jest dont see myself doin' much lake paddlin'. I worry the composite 'n ultra lite kevlar caint handle the way I treat a boat. So I am back ta makin' do with what I got.

Looked like the that lake wuz slam fulla loons.....did they snore any. :wink:

regards 'n welcome back
bearridge

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.  Unknown high school student