Aug 26, 2003
It was a cold windy rainy ride home...
Oh%20Canada%20121.jpg

A replica of a Voyaguer Canoe....
Oh%20Canada%20110.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
So ya built a plastic boat? Nice. I been lookin' at Bell 'n Wenonah, callin' the dealers agin, but ever time I reach fer my billfold, I hear bagpipes. :wink: regards 'n welcome back bearridge

Yep....I get tight with the wallet too many times...but once in awhile I remember I don't see any armoured trucks at funerals......and than I remember how long we are really here. Camping on a desolate island and looking up at the universe will remind you of that I guess.
I enjoy all waters...rivers, lakes, oceans, swamps. etc. I enjoy all the Creator has provided for us....I like variety....If I ate T-bone steaks every day, I'd get tired of it.......
Thanks for the welcome back Bear!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

The Sea Wind, as Verlen said, "has no square corners to catch the wind or water." It is hydrodynamically clean (read "streamlined"). Plus the hull is tall and capable of withstanding almost any water short of a tsunami or typhoon. Has been paddled UP (yes, that's up) the Grand Canyon. Has traveled basically from the north to south tip of the continent. A true swamp-to-sea boat.

Caught mid-way, my controlled rolling exit looks pretty clumsy. Rather than try to stand or rise from the boat, I elected to roll out onto a log, and then stand up. It's a controlled exit.

The stumble and fall came about 15 seconds later. I think slippery rocks let my foot slide about 10" and I stumbled backwards about 8 feet and promptly fell on my arse - ker SPLASH! Bruised both my bum and my dignity.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
No sweat, Ron. The subject came up on the lake shore.

One item I ought to mention is that the rain fly is an 8 year old piece of equipment. Cooke Custom Sewing ( www.cookecustomsewing.com ) sells these. Tell Dan that Kayak Jack sent you.

They have sewn-in nylon loops that are STRONG. Grommets are the bain of a rain fly. They can pull and tear under even light stress. I've rigged this 10' X 12' four panel model at least 24-25 different ways in all kinds of situations.

It ocvers a picnic table well. It will cover a hammock AND a table. They work very well.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mister Jack
I soo do aprecaite you telling us about that rain fly Me being from the south and reading about all those nasty little critters ya'll have up there I figured it was a big fly sort of like a horse fly that just com out when it rained. Now the pic of it I had all wrong I thought yall had stopped in one of those little towns and was at a corcus way its colored up Dang and you can put it up 25 differant ways man you northerners are plenty bored to be figuring that out .
Now I got another little bit of nolege of one of those websites about canoeing up there , another northern word I guess (had never heard it before) portage down here in south we got enough water we paddle our boats or just let them float now yall be differant ya'll paddle 5 min portage for 2 hours now down here I dont mind a stroll in the woods but normally we just call it hiking , but yall got to make it hard want to carry a canoe on top your head and all your food and stuff Chuck I think they be scared they cant find there way home and that the reason for the RAIN FLY being so colored up be for rescue thing I bet down here we sort of like to blend in. Now another thing in them canoes is a thing called a yoke now wes got yokes for mules or horses down here but you tell one of these Texans you going to put a yoke on hem you be in for a tussel

I guess we be behind in something else to I aint never seen a picknic table fire ring with a grill no where on this river, well now take that back thats what we call an rv park down here.
And most of the time I done learned how to watch that thing they call tv and them fellars guess pretty close so if they say it goning to be bad I just stay home get better aquainted with maw.
Now getting to the round bottom or flat bottom thing Ill have to admit I am partil to round bottoms on some things but dont turn up your nose at those flat bottoms sometimes they be pretty racy to. I have a feller I know thats got a yak they call an outer island it got the prettiest round bottom but that is the dangest feller to go on a trip with he is a little diferant getting in the boat about half the time the dang thing rolles over
he be standing on his head a cussin mud in ears and eyes well he will finaly fork that boat and away we go but danget he will be trying to show off you be paddling along he will come flying buye then ill be dang if he dont roll that boat up side down we figured he had a snorkel and was watching the fish. after a while he come up a kicking saying something about an eskimo roll nother northern thing I guess well he did this all day and was plumb tuckered out that night and we worried about him a little figured all them notts on his head from hitting the bottom was afecting his judgement. But the next day we found out he was from michigan and tells us thats the way they do it up there
Dang I guess we realy behind down here we aprecaite all kinds of bottoms walk our dogs instead of our boats and when paddling sort
like keeping the bottom on the bottom them flat bottoms is pretty easy to get in.
But sure do aprecaite the internet so we can see how other folks does it
Brings a whole new meaning to the saying bottoms up
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Ron sounds like you pretty much summed it up. I guess us southern geezers are different from dem northern geezers. :wink: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
"O" By the way how did your new hammock work out for you ?
Chuck.

Chuckles....I just noticed or realized you asked about the hammock. As you know, the old HH was great. This new Safari HH is just fantastic! Most nights I went and hit the sack at 10.....wouldn't get up until 8-9 the next morning! Need I say more? :roll:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
I call bs on that one. No geezer kin stay in bed that long.....without a drain tube. :wink:

Oh non-illuminated one....That ain't lemonade in that bottle your sipping on! :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ya didn't even mention my stylish Voyageur red hat I was wear'n! :cry:
I complimented you on your Viet Cong hat you wore at Lost Minds...You ain't the only one who is swave and deboner when it comes to sylish hats! :wink:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
Ya didn't even mention my stylish Voyageur red hat I was wear'n!
It iz a mitey fine hat.....a pleazin' color 'n likely ta keep yer ears both warm 'n outta site. I got a dollar sez it wont blow off in a strong breeze. I hear O.J. had one jest like it, but somebody stole it frum him. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All Yak needs is one of those long stem white clay pipes and a ball at the end of the point on his red hat to look like a voyager.

Oh%20Canada%20091.jpg

It is amazing the tricks a persons mind plays on him but when I ... 1st saw this picture ... I thought he was fixing to do something else. :oops: Then I realized there wasn't any gold to pan or dig for in that area. :roll:

Chuck.