Mijiienmungshing 07.... | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Mijiienmungshing 07....

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Guys,
Aussie bushmen wear an Akubra or a RM Williams or a Jacaru for one reaspn only, protection from the sun. The simple fact is that they are the best hats we have available. Most are well worn and battered (the more knocked around they are, the better we like them) They are generally covered with vairous forms of grease and dirt marks as well.

We have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and it is still growing. I am covered in them. I wont, go outside without a hat of some sort.

In recent years the city folk have taken a liking to the Akubra and wear it as a fashion statement :shock: what-ever, as long as the thing keeps the UV rays of ya skin it is a good thing.

Stetsons re available out here, and the blokes who work the odeo circut wear them as their dress up hats. When they are working however, and not showing off in front of a crowd, they all revert to their battered old Akubras.

I make no claim as to which hat is better, I just like mine.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My favorite is the Ultimate Hat , it is light weight , supplex nylon and has a really high UV protection rate. The thing is nice and cool when you have it on , is about indestructible ( I have destroyed , worn out one) and is replaced at no cost if they wear out.

Best of all it is made over on the west coast at Tampa here in Florida. There is a flap in the top of the (inside part ) crown where a person can keep some spending (folding ) money so you don't have to dig out the wallet when camping.

My camping hat......
UHSK_LRG.jpg

Mick , I have the same skin problem that you are having from being out in the sun most of my life , that is why the hat and long sleeve shirts (supplex) when out camping and paddling , sun protection. They are the only clothing that is nice and cool while offering some serious UV Protection.
I am sure the medications I am on don't help the matter any. Yep , The golden years , for the doctors. If I could spend the time I spend with them out camping , I would be camping most of the time.

Chuck.
PS. Around here ( everyday use) it is the southernpaddler ball cap in black.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
Was in 68 tet and I just got one of the momasons that worked on base to get it for me.I also bought a holster ther but it was for a revolver I aquired a S@W 45 acp revolver I carried, love the 45 round hated the
auto pistol
Ron
Dam that hat would be an antique like us if I still had it .

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
My camping hat......
UHSK_LRG.jpg

Chuck.

That sure would look nice with a SP logo on the front.......
I only wear the SP black ball camp in cooler weather...that black just sucks the heat in.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have asked them , many times if I can just get the patch they put on the hats for me and it is always meet with negative results.

From the couple of there hats I have here I would say they are heat sealed to the material and a good iron would do that.

Guess it is time to bug them again , something I am good at. :roll: They will sell the decals why not the patches?

Thinking about it ... we have a flea market close by and it is HUGE , my bet is someone there can do the same thing. Sorry Honey the grass will have to wait , I'm off to the Flea Market to find the answer a couple of the guy's have asked me about. I'm sure that will go over with her like a lead brick but who cares. :p
I want some of the patches to put on things.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
Check with a trophy shop you know where you get the trophies for tournaments I have bought patches for our archery club that way.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sent out some inquiries to the local shops in this area ..... The smallest amount is 100 , so if I have to go with that then it will be the cost of the patch and a dollar for postage to anyone wanting them.

That is the cost per patch , plus the postage. You can see I am really a business person that likes to make tons of money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

All of them said 24 to 48 hours to reply......... So stay tuned in... Might have to start a new post on the patches.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Stay right on the trip report for Lake Miji - as long as those patches have a MOOSE on them, and not one of those ancient, double-decked lizards

Sorry Jack .. The Field Satchel I just ordered in from Duluth Packs has the Moose on it , the patches will have the Southern Lizard , after all it has been on this earth for a lot longer time then your Moose.

Placed the order for the Field Satchel in Navy Blue since I was with the Navy and they sent me to serve with the Marines. Khaki and OD I wear a lot so why have it in the bag.

The last trip I got to many stares when walking into places with a ammo box in one hand and a Sheriff's Bag in the other , made some folks sweat a little , OK , to much.

All the darn thing (Ammo Box) had in it was the camera , my medication , the passport , spare cash and some LIQUID NITRO GLYCERIN in a oral spray bottle , nothing that would hurt anyone. :lol: :lol: :lol: Not sure about the bottle of the good old southern sour mash bourbon that was in there , that stuff is "O" So Good but really dangerous over some cracked ice .8) When I would check in at anyplace the 1st questions was .... Where is the ice machine.

That is why I was thinking it might be better to have that stuff in a Duluth Bag , which looks harmless and outdoorsy. Ya know a old woods bum checking in for some comfort , sometimes some Southern Comfort , the liquid kind at 150 proof , Besides I have been wanting one of them , the Duluth bags the other I usually have with me. :p Now I will have all three of the good things.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Go to http://www.frostriver.com/shop.html and view the same stuff for les$.

Yep , almost the same but not the same , less cost and less quality.

Frostriver.........
Large Field Satchel
A Blue-crowned Motmot hoots from the Panamanian forest understory. You slowly reach into your Field Satchel to pull out your digital camera. The motmot materializes twenty feet away. You get the shot and double check the identification in your bird book before jotting down some notes. All slip easily back into the satchel. Not going to the rainforest anytime soon?…the Field Satchel also makes a distinctive purse.

No. 875 Large 12"x 9"x 4" $85
The Duluth Field Satchel is 10H x 14W and 5D. Which I need for the camera , it is 5 inches wide in it's case.
Built tough for the field, but handsome enough to use in town. With two pockets inside and the big main compartment, it's great for sight-seeing or fieldwork. Durable canvas strengthened with rich, heavy leather on the bottom and flap. The adjustable web shoulder strap has a non-slip leather pad to ease the strain. Made in Duluth, MN USA.

Why settle for a copy when you can get the real McCoy. Rather spend a few more bucks and get the real thing then a copy that would not work for me.

YEP... I checked them out before placing the order and Duluth Pack won. Besides the Duluth Bag has leather all the way around and under the bottom of it for more protection , not just canvas. I just think it is a lot better and the slight cost over the other bag is well worth it especially in the quality of the product.

I get stuff for the outdoors I want it to last and Duluth has the reputation of doing that , there items become heirlooms to be handed down from generation to generation.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
the Field Satchel also makes a distinctive purse.

Built tough for the field, but handsome enough to use in town. With two pockets inside and the big main compartment, it's great for sight-seeing
What colors do them purses come in? Before I give any thought ta it, I gotta know the color......that way I know which hat ta wear. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: