Moonshine Grape Wine Recipe | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Moonshine Grape Wine Recipe

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Unfortunately, Palladin, I've already told you more than I know. There are special yeasts for wine, special for beer, etc. I imagine a brewing supply house could furnish these for you.

Now, you know enough to ask the right questions; it's going to have to be them who supply the answers - AND the yeasts.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
YEast.....

Yep...to everything you said about Yeast...Kahuna
Kayak Jack said:
Different types of yeast will affect the amount of sugar needed, and the yield of alcohol. Main difference between "regular" beer and "lite" beer is the yeast. Some yeasts will digest more of the sugar than others. Therefore, they require less sugar to be added in the first place.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Tools of the Trade...

If you are going to make more wine after this basic recipe. I suggest you go to your supply shop or on the net and order some yeast and a few Air Locks and corks with the whole that go with them. These air locks make it better than useing a balloon....here are a few sites I found for supplies. I have never ordered cause there is a supply store in the town I work. Kahuna
www.midwestsupplies.com/
www.homebrewheaven.com
www.homebrewery.com
www.homebrewit.com
www.home-brew.com
www.beer-wine.com
There may also be an Ebay.com store...I'll do a search. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK guy's ....... I filtered off my jug of the Moonshine Grape Wine tonight ..... I was busy on the computer when the wife came home, disgusted and tired. I had supper cooking and she went for a glass of wine. A friend of ours gave a bottle of some really good dry wine so with the wife fussing, since she could find a cork puller, something I have on my knife ........... I went and pulled the cork for her.

She poured some of that really good wine in a glass then took a sip ....... I will not say what she said. :x :p :evil: :twisted: I tried a sip and thought it was pretty good , but what do husbands know.

What the Heck ...... OK Honey , calm down ........I have a jug of moonshine Grape Wine cooking how let me filter it then you then you can have a glass and tell me what you think.

Filtered it out into a different jug ....... Gave her a sample ...... WOW ... when will it be ready, as soon as I filter and bottle the rest of this gallon. To say she liked it is like saying I like to paddle boats , build boats and then go camping. :roll:

As I said I was on the computer and I had a beer with me ... it helps ya know....... The beer got trashed after I had a sip (a very small one) of the wine. Did not want to wreck that great after taste of the wine.

Ya do not need a lot , it has a good kick to it and one after taste that is out of this world. As I post this even after the taste I had back then ...... then supper, pork chops, rice and lima beans ...I can still taste the wine. :D

Kahuna this is some good stuff.......... In fact I liked it so much that I went over and got Mary & Neil to come over and try some........ When they left Mary would not give me the glass back, might of been cause it was her glass or it could have been there was some of the wine left in it.

Mary was smiling and thinking about using the wine as a marinade for cooking ....... Me I rather use some of it in a gravy to spice it up........ or just drinking.

I was told that i have to start a couple of jugs in the morning .. :D .......... This is some good stuff. Darn, I can still taste it.............. and it is just as good.

How about baking a chicken or turkey and using the wine in place of the water when you put them in the bag........... Lots of possibilities besides the best one ....... A cold glass of it for your enjoyment.

Kahuna .......... You have a winner and we have something good , strong , but really good. I can still taste it. I don't know which is the best the 1st taste or the after taste....... Both are out of this world. :D

Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Addition and suggestions...+

I try to use bottled water when I make wine. Doesn't have to be anything fancy as long as it has a good taste.
Also, you can blend juices...maybe mango,apricot...peach with the basic grape juice. There will be more sediment from the fruit pulp...but you can settle that out. Kahuna

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Taste....

I noticed a difference...after I tried it with regular wine yeast...I like that better. Try it..if you can't tell a difference..use what you like :roll:
Kahuna
PALADIN said:
I agree Chuck
I like the after taste. and the wine. I had heard regular yeast didn't taste good... wrong!!! It is the "good" taste...addicting :p

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got the 2nd jug cooking.
It was a suggestion (order) from the wife. :roll:

This time it is Concord Grape with White Grape, Apple and Peaches with the Fleischmans's active dry yeast. That last batch those little Yeasts sure like all of that sweet stuff in the jug , anyway they ate and pooped a lot which gave it quite a kick. :lol: :lol:

Tell you how it is in about 3 weeks.

With the Apple and the rest in it could it be called A Peachy Moonshine Cider Grape Wine. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
This time it is Concord Grape with White Grape, Apple and Peaches

With the Apple and the rest in it could it be called A Peachy Moonshine Cider Grape Wine. :lol:

Chuck.

Chuck, You might have something there :?: :!:
Peach, Grape, Apple? How 'bout call'n it a "Fuzzy Grapple" :wink:

(Good name for it....... both ways , from what makes it to when you grapple some and get fuzzy. Chuck ) :lol:

A

Anonymous

You cant "fortify" your wine with brandy. Like peach,apricot, plain etc. :wink:
Kahuna
oldyaker said:
oldsparkey said:
This time it is Concord Grape with White Grape, Apple and Peaches

Chuck.

Chuck, You might have something there :?: :!:
Peach, Grape, Apple? How 'bout call'n it a "Fuzzy Grapple" :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To keep a record of my wine progress .... I just started a batch with one can of Welches, Orange, Pineapple and Apple with a can of the Concord Grape. Two packs of yeast , 3 1/2 cups of sugar.

After cooking it will go with me out west for the guys on the trip and our 1st night in camp. Three weeks to cook and four weeks to age ........ Man , that will be some top of the line moonshine wine. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The one I started on the 23rd of Jan is done and in the frig cooling down and from what the wife told me it has a kick to it but quite good.
I used the Concord Grape with White Grape, Apple and Peaches for it.

The one for the trip is still cooking and from the results of all the taste testers on the old batches ..... I will have to do the 2nd jug for the trip.

Got to go and get it cooking...... we sure do not want any green wine while camping.
Green as in still cooking, fermenting, brewing............. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tried a sip of the batch from 01-23-05 that the wife said was strong ........ She is correct, kicks like a Missouri mule :shock: but quite good.
One glass of it and I would be on that Gator paddling backwards. :lol:

The 02-03-05 batch will be for the trip if I don't get busted for transporting a Weapon of Mass Enjoyment.
Just in case the ATF is laying in wait for me on the trip I just stared the 2nd jug for the trip. Might as well make it worth there effort.
If I run out of gas I bet I can get double the mileage off that shine wine..... 50 mpg would be nice. :D

Ya can tell when I get there just listen for the rendition of Thunder Road blasting from a rag top Jeep.............

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
Tried a sip of the batch from 01-23-05 that the wife said was strong ........ She is correct, kicks like a Missouri mule :shock: but quite good. (SNIP)
Over heard from one wine commonsewer to another:
"Ahh yes, the fourth week of January was SUCH a good year for wine."

(Dja ever notice how those guys hold out a pinkie when speaking of wine?)

A

Anonymous

Waiter.....come take away this old stuff! What do you take us for? Bring us a bottle of something new. :mrgreen: