My Strip Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

My Strip Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Not finished but getting there.

A very big thanks to Swampwood for his help and heated shop.
As usual thanks to Keith and seedtick for advice and inspiration.

Built it on a strongback with stations, stapleless.
Western red cedar and cypress.

JanFeb2011039.jpg

JanFeb2011040.jpg

JanFeb2011042.jpg

JanFeb2011043.jpg

JanFeb2011036.jpg

JanFeb2011035.jpg

JanFeb2011047.jpg

beekeeper

Attachments

• IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dear Daddy BeeKeeper. remember when you make one for your kid - I'm closely related to you and need one of them. (jumping up and down here, waggling hand in the air, squealing - grunting - wheezing - squealing some more)

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Like Chuck said, the curved stems look really nice. Seedtick once offered a tutorial on how to do that, but I missed it, or he hasn't done it yet. Can you tell us the dimensions, rocker? How did you prepare the strips? Great looking boat.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys for the compliments.

It did hurt to cover the bottom with graphit, but not as bad as scatching it when I put in or take out.
I like the curved stems also. Keith and seedtick showed me how to make them. I don't know if I could explain it well enough. I will try some pictures the next time I make some.

The boat is 15'-4" on top, 14' in the floor, 24" bottom, 36" beam, 11.5"sides flaird 30 degrees off vertical.
The stips were cut 3/4" wide, then beaded and coved. The strips for the floor and 2" up the sides are 3/8" thick. The sides are 1/4". The batter boards are white oak.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Dear Daddy BeeKeeper. remember when you make one for your kid - I'm closely related to you and need one of them. (jumping up and down here, waggling hand in the air, squealing - grunting - wheezing - squealing some more)

Jack, we have had this discussion about being related before. :roll: You might actually like this boat. It does not have a round bottom, but the chines are (soft) rounded over. .
Before leaving swampwood's shop we saturated the inside. After looking at it in the sunshine, I resanded the interior and applied another saturation coat. Still not perfect, but what it is, is what it is. Breast hooks and outside gunnels are installed. Lot's more work before I get to paddle it.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So, just cause you're younger'n me, you deny paternity?? Cheap way to get out of sharing our boat. (insert a "Harrumph!" here)

Well, maybe you'll get to the Rendezvous, and maybe you'll bring a boat for us to see. I hope to see you both.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
captaindoug
i remember offering the tutorial on curved stems but i don't remember anyone saying they're interested

Reckon it just passed me by.... sorry

Friend Keith and I are involved in a little addition to his storage building this week but I'll try to get to it next week

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
seedtick said:
captaindoug
i remember offering the tutorial on curved stems but i don't remember anyone saying they're interested

If you're starting a list of interested folks, add me right after Captaindoug. :mrgreen:

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
Looking really good, bee. The bottom pattern came out especially well. Have you weighed her yet?

Joey

Thanks Joey. I finished the rails today and started the breasthook caps(?). I will try to weigh it after they are done.. All the wood work will be complete. It feels lighter than my other boats of similar size. I have really enjoyed working with the solid wood instead of the cheap ply I used befor.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Finished the wood work today, lots of finish work left.
Tried to weigh it on the bathroom scales. Not very stable but looked to be a little under 60 lbs.

beekeeper

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I looked up what "Bead and Cove" is, saw a little video from the Rockler Co.( http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18920) Pretty neat, but if you don't mind sharing, how do you clamp and glue the strips together? Did you use moulds or frames on the strong back you mentioned, or just a couple of jigs, and bend to meet the stems like Seedtick and Keith demonstrated on that Marsh Pirogue? Does it matter what side you start with, the Bead or the Cove? Still a lot of mysteries on this one for me. And don't even get me started asking about how you made that pattern in the bottom....

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Capt.Doug
Bead and cove is used for regular strip built boats. The boat is built upside down and the first strip is put on with the cove facing up so it will be eaiser to glue the strips togeather. The cove holds the thin line of glue until you put the bead from the next strip in. But that is a whole different ballgame than a strip built stitch&glue Boat. A strip built boat is usually a contionus curve where S&G is made of flat panels.
Bob

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Ah ha... I am beginning to see 'da light. Looking at it again, I see this is basically a flat panel boat. With all that pretty wood and the curved stems, I guess I couldn't see the forest, for the trees. The bead and cove joint between the strips must make a stronger joint I would think, or why would you do what appears to be a bit of extra work? Of course there was that heated workshop, and probably a bunch of cool tools to play with... :lol: