My Strip Pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

My Strip Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Put the first coat of varnish on today. What it is is what it is.
Thanks Wannabe for answering captindoug's questions.
It is flat paneled, but has soft (rounded over) chines. I don't think you can do that with the stitch and glue method.
I used a strongback with forms every foot. Each strip is clamped to every form while the glue dries. This also prevents nail holes.
The bead and cove allow the strips to roll around the radius between the sides and bottom without having to plane the edges of each strip. They keep the strips flush with each other between stations. I ran out of bead and coved strips for the bottom and finished with plain ones. I learned they should have been clamped together between forms while the glue dried, to keep them flush with each other. It would have saved a lot of sanding.
The pattern for the forms were made from measurements of my other pirogue, with a few changes. Swampwood drew patterns for me using that information. I built the forms with hard chines and then rounded them off. I used a 4" radius midway and tapering to 0" at each stem.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Keith and seedtick have worked on this soft chined pirogue and maybe another one.
stripper01.jpg

Does anybody have pictures or information about others.

Thanks
beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Looking at the picture Beekeeper posted.... when does a pirogue quit being a pirogue? Isn't that a canoe? Where do you draw the line?

Another way of putting it would be, "is there any such thing as a soft chine pirogue"?

Of course a dugout is soft chine, so maybe the answer is "yes". But then again, what is the difference between a "dugout pirogue" and a "dugout canoe"? Is there any?

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
gbinga said:
Of course a dugout is soft chine, so maybe the answer is "yes". But then again, what is the difference between a "dugout pirogue" and a "dugout canoe"? Is there any?

George

I will not swear to it but it appears that location is the main factor in what you want to call it. Louisiana it would be a pirogue , Florida a dugout canoe. Here in Florida it is mostly refereed to just as a dugout , like the ones the Seminoles use to show tourists about the boats they used in the old days. Sometimes today. Just depends on where you are. :D

This is a picture from a postcard taken back in 1911.......Seminole family in the Miami area.

image_resize.php

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The last coat of varnish is dry. I will sand the graphite tomorrow, and will be glad to be finished. :D It has been a long build.

beekeeper

Beesboy

Sep 2, 2010
It wouldn't have been such a long build If I would have stopped taking you fishing in the old boats and letting you catch all the fish. :lol:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Beesboy said:
It wouldn't have been such a long build If I would have stopped taking you fishing in the old boats and letting you catch all the fish. :lol:

This don't count as a delay:

Nor this. Does it?

Thanks for the delays. :D
beekeeper

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
We didn't have time to clean fish, had to finish the boat. Beesboy grilled burgers for a "finished" celebration.
It was a fun and learning build. I am looking forward to trying this one.
I am pleased with the way it came out. It might be my best one. A few trips will tell, but that will have to wait a few more days.

March2011FishingBoat033.jpg

March2011FishingBoat044.jpg

March2011FishingBoat047.jpg

March2011FishingBoat041.jpg

March2011FishingBoat042.jpg

beekeper

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Man O' Man, that sure turned out pretty. How do you get away with no ribs or thwarts? To get the rounded chine, did you sand through the sides into that chine log inside or was that put in after. I wish you had some photos of the stations and strongback set-up. Really nice way you did that inwale tapering to nothing.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks for all the compliments. :D
Lots of questions so bear with me.

captindoug
I don't know for sure if I have "gotten away without ribs or thwarts". There is some flex to the sides. The cap rail over the gunnel ,side, and edge of the inwale stiffened the sides a lot. A few trips will tell me if it is "strong enough" as is. I belive it is. If not there are several ways to strengthen the sides or floor if needed.
There is no chine log. I think what you see are the two cypress highlight strips in the floor. The forms are rounded over where the sides and bottom meet (chine) and the strips are clamped and rolled around them. The strips are then sanded over smooth with the belt sander on the outside. A disk sanding pad on a drill and lots of hand sanding shaped the inside radius.
Sorry I don't have a picture of the stations at this time.

Mick
1. 13 stations, one foot apart.

2. 2.5" at the bow, 1.5" at the stern

3. I used a 4" diameter circle templet. That would be a 2" radius, correct? It tapered to zero at each end.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This is a disclaimer; The seat pictured is owned by swampwood. It was only used by me to enhance the apearance of my boat. :wink: :) I had the boat weighed today on the boat weighing scales and certified by the official weighmaster :wink: Keith Felders at 45lbs. I wanted a lighter boat but didn't expect that much reduction. I am very pleased. :D Thanks again to swampwood and keith and seedtick.

March2011FishingBoat043.jpg

Just a couple more pictures:

March2011FishingBoat037.jpg

March2011FishingBoat038.jpg

beekeeper

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
That first picture really shows the furniture quality of this boat. May I suggest a glass top and put it in front of your sofa? :p

The other two pictures show it being held up with a clamp. Seedtick and friend Kieth have a set of fingers they use for that , you may have been able to borrow? :lol: :lol:

Richard

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
rhutchinson said:
That first picture really shows the furniture quality of this boat. May I suggest a glass top and put it in front of your sofa? :p

The other two pictures show it being held up with a with a clamp. Seedtick and friend Kieth have a set of fingers they use for that , you may have been able to borrow? :lol: :lol:

Richard

Thanks Rchard. :)
Keith has seedtick or seedtick has Keith. It's just me and the clamp. :cry: :wink:
I better add quickly, Mrs. beekeeper does help a lot.

beekeeper

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
The fingers thing was in reference to a post Kieth and Seedtick made a year or so ago showing yet another example of there craftsmanship. The boat was on it's side and an observant member noticed on the upper gunnel 4 little pink fingers wrapped around it. There was some concern expressed as to where they had come from and the answer was not to worry that they show up from time to time.
My mind refuses to retain even the smallest bit of useful knowledge, but I'll remember some little quip like that till they throw dirt in my face! And the doctors don't know why!!! :lol: