New build - first build | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

New build - first build

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Finally received my order of resin so I can continue on my 2nd boat for my son. Main thing I was able to accomplish the past couple of nights was to put a final coat on the outside and to start installing inner rails. One side is complete and just have 2 shorter ones to install on the other side. Then on to the bulkheads and decks to put the finishing touches on it.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Now we are starting to make some progress. Last week I was able to get the rest of the inner rails glued in and on thursday night was able to get both bulkhead glued in place. Also got both of the deck panels glassed together. Tonight I was able to glue one deck in place and will get the other one put on tomorrow. Will get some pics of boat #2 tomorrow to show what is done so far.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Here are the pics of the updates on boat #2. Pic #1 is the inner rails being glued and clamped in. Used resin and wood dust.
SDC10872.jpg

Pic #2 is of the bracing I used to support the decks and the bulkhead pasted in place.
SDC10876.jpg

Pic #3 is of deck #2 glued in place. I trimmed the edges and will sand the edges smooth to the rail. The top will then be sanded and covered with another layer of fiberglass completely encasing it to the rails.
SDC10877.jpg

Pic #4 is showing the 2nd deck being glued in place with the weights I used to hold it in place while the resin kicks off.
SDC10878.jpg

Pic #5 shows the gap filled between the 1/8th inch luan deck and the edge of the rail.
SDC10879.jpg

Once I trim the excess deck from the edge I will use my belt sander to contour the edge from the luan to the filler to the rail. Then it will be ready to fiberglass and finally paint.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Right now I just have a small pin hole for the spaces to breath. If need be, I can always come back and install some hatches. Right now I am using mine for mainly fishing here around Savannah. If I start doing more paddling or overnight trips I would definately think about how I could use the space to store items.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The pin hole will take care of pressure differentials. It will, however, likely collect moisture. Air comes in and leaves; moisture only comes in. You may need a large opening (6" or larger) for ventilation when the boat is in storage.

islandpiper

Hey, get this!! I AGREE WITH JACK~~ really, he's right, through the centuries he's seen lots of rot and decay, mostly brought on by the combination of wood, water, heat and darkness.

Add a sealing hatch, like a plastic screw top jar, you can get them in most big boar supply places. That would make a nice place to keep you wallet, cell phone and PBJ sandwich, too.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Living at sea level there are no problems and when taking the boat into the higher elevations , just don't tell the boat. So far all of mine have weather the changes in elevation on trips all over this east side from northern Yankee land to west of the Big Muddy with no problems and that is with sealed chambers in the ends of them.

Now if they were going to be strapped to a plane for transport into some back country ... That is a different story. Planes do go higher the we do when driving or I hope so over here on the East side of this country. Sure don't want a plane trying to pass me on the interstate. :roll:

If a equalizing hole would be necessary , no big problem ... Everything is epoxy saturated and glassed so if some moisture gets in there when the air cools down , it sure will find a way out when sitting out in the sun and the oven temperatures we have down here. Right now I do not like holes in my boats unless they are hatches and then some good size ones.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Thinking about it , Lets say you have a small hole ( any size) in the bulkhead to let the chamber breath. You are paddling in 90 degree weather so the wood in the boat is around that ambient temperature.

Now assuming the water in the river is 50 degrees and you go belly up so the hole and a lot of your boat is under water then when the air starts to cool down from the colder river water it will suck water in there , called a vacuum. Exaggerated view .....Like a kid with a milk shake and a straw. In the case of the boat .... caused by something like the warm air cooling down and condensing creating a vacuum.

If you stay upright then the only water getting in there is what the humidity level is as the night cools down and there is a good shot the wood ( air in it ) and the rest will gradually cool down so there is no water intrusion problem , just a wee bit of humidity which leaves the next day as things warm up.

I still do not like the idea of holes in flotation chambers unless they are called Hatches.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
oldsparkey said:
I still do not like the idea of holes in flotation chambers unless they are called Hatches.

I think Chuck makes sense on this - if there is going to be an opening at all, make it big enough to let in fresh air and dry out the space when not in use. And if you are doing that, you need a secure hatch so that the space won't flood in an accident.

(My boat doesn't have any enclosed space at all, which means I have no flotation. I need to do something about that)

As to pressure differential, I imagine you'd be dealing more with temperature change than with altitude. A big temperature change can cause quite a bit of pressure (positive or negative, according to the circumstances)

In manufacturing insulated glass panels for windows and doors, we didn't worry about altitude until it got up around 8000 feet. Shipping out of Atlanta (call it 1000 feet) Denver was not considered a problem. Eight, ten, twelve thousand feet, we started using various kinds of breather tubes to relieve the pressure.

George

ps I was thinking about what I was just posting, and I did a bit of research. Cardinal Glass says the threshold of concern for insulated glass is 2000 feet of altitude difference. I know at the window company I worked for we shipped to Denver all the time (about a 4000 foot difference) and got away with it. Insulated glass is probably a lot more sensitive than a wooden boat would be - the glass bowing out becomes a cosmetic problem - It isn't like it blows up or anything, just looks funny.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have to diagree with some of these thoughts are say I dont believe it is a problem.
I went from 500 ft to 10,000 on my trip to Colo . I had chip bags that looked like a ballon on top of the mountain ,but no explosions,if the paper held up the ply fiberglass coated sure will. Your whole boat deals with humity every day with temp changes and in a partialy closed area ,the temp is going to be a lot higher in the closed space and there goes your moisture.
I think it is a non issue.
Ron

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Finally finished up my son's boat. With him being a Pittsburg Steelers fan, he chose the black and yellow as his colors for his boat. Last weekend had to rub it into him since the Kansas City Chiefs beat his steelers.

joseffsboat1.jpg

joseffsboat2.jpg

joseffsboat4.jpg

joseffsboat3.jpg

Now to finish up his paddle and get a seat for him and he is ready to go on his maiden voyage.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
savannahkelly said:
Finally finished up my son's boat. With him being a Pittsburg Steelers fan, he chose the black and yellow as his colors for his boat. Last weekend had to rub it into him since the Kansas City Chiefs beat his steelers.

Now to finish up his paddle and get a seat for him and he is ready to go on his maiden voyage.

"O" Some dirty pool on the Steelers for him but one nice boat for his enjoyment , Thanks to you. :D

Chuck.