NorthWind Finally..... | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

NorthWind Finally.....

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The boat is looking good. :) The wedge to fill in the space did the trick. That is one of those had you not told, nobody would have known. Did you bead and cove the strips? The radius on my chines was pretty tight and the strips wanted to pry open as the strips rolled. I was able to correct this by planing the inside (bottom) lip off the cove. This allowed the strips to make the roll more and not pry apart. I think using 3/8" thick stips in this area helped also. They provide more wood to shape the outside radius.

beekeeper

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got a little more done to the NorthWind this evening. It sure was hard to come out of the A/C (after working in the heat all day) to work on the boat this evening. As always my helper was present although she is smarter than me.

NorthWind005-1.jpg

I got busy and got the rest of the boat sanded. I sure am likeing the way this boat is turning out.

NorthWind006-1.jpg

I took a deep breath to settle my nerves and took a jigsaw to the deck.

NorthWind007.jpg

I order most of my deck hardware from Strapworks.com and it all came in today. Gonna go with red straps and bungees on this one.

NorthWind001-2.jpg

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
JEM said:
That deck radius is more for easy assembly as a fiberglass boat. When I drew this for the 1st person who wanted to take a crack at building it, I drew it with an easier to assemble deck. The builder had a fit when he saw the sketches because it didn't look enough like the boat that inspired my design, the Sea Wind.

I think you handled that radius quite well, Darrel. I bet that will be a nice accent that is pleasing to the eye when it's all said and done.
JEM,
Shouldn't the sides have come up higher :?: (Instead of the deck having to bend down and over the sides) This would have allowed for a smooth transition from the sides to the deck curve :!: :!:

JEM

swampwood said:
JEM said:
That deck radius is more for easy assembly as a fiberglass boat. When I drew this for the 1st person who wanted to take a crack at building it, I drew it with an easier to assemble deck. The builder had a fit when he saw the sketches because it didn't look enough like the boat that inspired my design, the Sea Wind.

I think you handled that radius quite well, Darrel. I bet that will be a nice accent that is pleasing to the eye when it's all said and done.
JEM,
Shouldn't the sides have come up higher :?: (Instead of the deck having to bend down and over the sides) This would have allowed for a smooth transition from the sides to the deck curve :!: :!:

The deck could have been done a few different ways. The design was custom design job for a client that had some very specific desires. I think he was looking to create a mold and make a fiberglass version. Last I heard, that builder got half-way through the project and gave up on it due to moving or something.

Anyway, rather than do a complete redesign, I offered Darrel this one when he asked about a strip version of the S&G North Wind.

I think Darrel did a great job on it and it looks pretty good. Maybe I'll do an alternate deck one day. Maybe not.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
The deck radius was not a big problem, just had to figure how to handle it. Now that I have it sanded I do think the thin white strip adds a nice subtle touch.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Darrell, if you're serious about paddling some of the places Verlen paddled, send me a private message. The guy who wrote and sang the song in that first clip is a good paddling buddy of mine, had coffee with him a couple days ago. He's paddled with Verlen a bit, and would welcome you joining some trips. If you're serious.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Deck is all loosened up on the forms and I have saw horses are ready to set the hull on while I use the table to sand and fiberglass the underside of the deck. It is just too dang hot to work on it right now though. My pickup is sitting beside the shop and it is reading 106* so I think I might wait until the sun goes down to start working the deck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Darrells said:
Deck is all loosened up on the forms and I have saw horses are ready to set the hull on while I use the table to sand and fiberglass the underside of the deck. It is just too dang hot to work on it right now though. My pickup is sitting beside the shop and it is reading 106* so I think I might wait until the sun goes down to start working the deck.

Guess our cold front missed you on the way down. The high here today was 89F. And that is only with 73 per cent hunidity. Low temp. low humidity, who could ask for more.
Bob

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
After it cooled off some this evening I went out to the shop and set the boat on a set of saw horses and seperated the hull and the deck.

Northwind002-5.jpg

Got some of the underside of the deck sanded.

Northwind001-3.jpg

Did a little work to the hull also. I started installing the sheer strips, half of each side done.

Northwind004-2.jpg

A little detail of the sheer strip.

Northwind006-2.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I run fiberglass tape all the way around the exterior. Takes a little more sanding and blending to not see the joint but it is still easier than fiberglassing the interior joint.IMO

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Darrells said:
I run fiberglass tape all the way around the exterior. Takes a little more sanding and blending to not see the joint but it is still easier than fiberglassing the interior joint.IMO

I'm :?, as usual. Is the inside of the deck not glassed at all, or are you saying you just don't put tape on the inside of the sheer area? I have never built a deck, but I assumed the strips would get glass on both sides.
I like the color contrst between the light and darker wood. What kind are they?

Thanks
beekeeper

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
yes the deck is fiberglassed on both sides. The deck will be glued tio the sheer strip with goop and to make a permanent joint I run 3" fiberglass tape completely around the exterior of the hull/deck joint.