Old Tools | SouthernPaddler.com

Old Tools

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
George mentioned starting a thread on tools. Since he hasn't gotten to it, I thought that I would start it off.

Some drills, augers, wrenches, draw knife and ice saw and tongs.
IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Drill press
IMG_0640.jpg

Some saws
IMG_0642.jpg

With hay bale lifter
IMG_0647.jpg

Cotton scale
IMG_0652.jpg

Forge blowers and small forge
IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Cant hook
canthook.jpg

Some hammers and hatchets and horse shoeing tools.
IMG_0653.jpg

Working with all these tools can make you thirsty, so you need a refreshment barrel.
waterbarrel.jpg

Most of these came from my father who lurks on here pretty often.

Jimmy

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
That isn't the correct weight for the cotton scale. It is too heavy and needs to be ground down.

I'm thinking that my father does still have another one with the pea as I think the weight was called.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I hate to say it but those are not , I repeat ...NOT old tools , I have a lot of the same ones here that are used off and on by myself. Especially the drills and saws. I'm sure they are not that old , they were Dad's and then I got them to use and they are better then a lot of the new junk a person purchases today. :D :D :D

Chuck.
PS. Haven't found anyone to work that other end of the cross cut saw. :roll:

Steve

Kayak Jack said:
Just the gathering of us itself would constitute a museum, Steve. No other tools needed. Subject would likely be modified from "Old Tools" to read "Old Fools."

I gotta admit you're right about that Jack. . . you DO belong in a museum labeled "Old Fool." :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rest of us can jus' donate things to the exhibit. . . with a show 'n' tell featurin' Kayak Jack Waking to The Sound of Islandpiper's Music :lol: :lol:

Sorry Jack. . . just couldn't resist. . . 8)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I love the old tools too. I only have a few. Draw knives, spokeshave, brass-spined back saw and my favorite-- my dad's crosscut saw (circa 1930) minus one handle and clamp. One handle cus he used it BY HIMSELF. He used to cut firewood for a local bakery for $1.50 a face cord. Paddled down the bayou, cut a tree down from the bateau into the swamp, bucked it into managable pieces and loaded it up to be split back at home. He said he could do about a cord and a half a day. $2.25 a day was BIG money in the 1930's. Most guys were lucky to get more than a dollar a day at that time.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You guys need a bigger chain saw , not something like the one in the picture that was made for trimming limbs. What is the length of the blade , 4 1/2 feet ......might be 5.2 .......Hard to tell from the picture.

Naturally I am asking about the Stihl one on the table. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Chuck.

Steve

I bet da kick back or da chain whippin' loose off dat saw would be a mudder. . . Where dat man's chaps. . . I t'ought we 'ad rewls regardin' da safety o' folks? :roll:

No. . . really, though. . . I would hate to be in the line of fire if that chain clipped. . . ouch wouldn't cover that, I bet. . . :shock: :oops:

Dat be a saw I'd like t' have, though. . . :D

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
this is the best shot of the forge that i have right now, i can get you a better one later if you want

DSC05220.jpg

basically it's a brake drum from a gravel truck - 18 wheeler - that we had cut down to about 6", then dropped in another smaller (pickup truck i think) brake drum to cover the lug bolt holes and reduce the axle hole down to where a 2" pipe would fit it. Weld a few 1/2" rods across the hole and you've got the tuyre (sp?). Come out the bottom with a short 2" nipple and hook on a 2" tee vertically and hook up a old manual Buffalo blower to the bull of the tee and add a short section of pipe with a screw on pipe cap to the bottom run- that collects the ashes and keeps everything tight so the blower air goes up thru the forge. Then wrap the whole setup in an angle iron stand. BTW the large brake drum is 1/2" thick so the forge will last a long time before it burns out.

my forge is the same except i use a small electric blower for combustion air