pirogue X two | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue X two

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Well, I was back at WE$T Marine and saw a larger diameter set of oarlocks 2 1/4" compared to the 2" I had. I found the manager and talked him into trading me. (I didn't have the packaging any more) He flinched but helped me out. Now I don't need to get into the oar making business trying to fix the earlier problem. I know that is kinda cheatin', but I want to go fishing.
On another subject, some one mentioned cutting the stern stem right at the back of the hull and installing a small transom for a trolling motor. Any hints on that job?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I did one pirogue that way.... Made it as suggested then made a transom for it and slipped it in where I wanted it. When it fit just right , epoxied it in place. Got the saw and removed what was sticking out past it. NO... Not on the front of it the part on the backside. :roll:

By making the boat as suggested and then doing that to it , everything came out really well. Just take some measurements and then do it 4 or 5 more times before installing it and cutting off the excess of the boat.
I started the project with some cardboard as a template, went threw several pieces before having the right pattern to cut the transom from.

Chuck.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
So let me get this straight,...don't stand out on the limb before you saw it off the tree? I was considering cutting the stern off, then fitting a transom,.. easy, scribe to fit, cut it out and glass it in. You think it might spread and loose it's shape if I do that? It is already fiberglassed. I guess I could clamp it prior to sawing. I'm not too good at all that pattern making, I would end up using all the trees in the forest before I got something that fit right.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
There seems to be a problem with the photo sharing site I was using, so I am trying Photobucket. Anyway, Hey Chuck, look, I found you the motor system for your skiff:
boatdrive_2.jpg

http://www.pedalpro.com
and such a bargain, "Our current price is just $3250 USD!! "

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug said:
There seems to be a problem with the photo sharing site I was using, so I am trying Photobucket. Anyway, Hey Chuck, look, I found you the motor system for your skiff:
boatdrive_2.jpg

http://www.pedalpro.com
and such a bargain, "Our current price is just $3250 USD!! "

Neat but a little pricey , OK a lot of pricey. Knowing Florida they would want the boat registered since it is a form of mechanical propulsion.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bellybuster said:
the mirage drive is a dream to pedal. The standard fins will give nice easy propulsion but upgrade to the turbo fins and there is no way you could keep up with a paddle over a long period. The legs are bigger, tougher and have much more endurance than the upper body

Hands free fishing , could make this an option to consider. How do you steer the boat? Do the fins fold up to transport (back of truck)? What do you do if you have to drag the boat? Is it weedless? Weight?

Thanks
beekeeper

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A paddler will walk off and leave these drives after a few miles ,you never see them in long distance races.leggs just want stand the strain as well as combination of arm shoulders and torso muscles.
Using a combination of the three lets each muscle rest in parts of the stroke. with a drive legs never rest so fatigue faster.
I have paddled with them on the brazos river and with the combination of wind ,shallow water and swift water they dont preform well here.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...........

I have to agree with you , Shallow water , weeds , mud or anything under them would ruin there ability. Especially the shallow water that you and the rest of us get into , not even thinking of the weeds , logs , stumps and the rest I paddle threw.

For open water with a couple of feet of freedom under the boat they would be nice but that is something or an area I am not in 90 % of the time. Most of the time I might have 3 inches under my boat if I am lucky but then there are the deeper holes which are good fishing.

If it will not make it threw 3 inches or less of water ... it is of no use to me. That is the reason I make shallow water boats.

That trip we did on the Brazos River...... :lol: :lol: :lol: one of those would of been a disaster after the 1st 10 minutes.........and for all the rest of the trip. Especially where the water was only 2 inches deep with all the rocks on the river bottom.

Chuck.