pirogue X two | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue X two

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The one thing I didnt add is I spend long hours paddling,I can imagine having my butt in the same position and legs up for two or three hour much less 8 or nine.
Ron

the mirage drive isn't meant for log hopping at all. It does fold up against the hull but is still underneathmaybe 1.5". I wouldn't even consider it for river running.
I have a plastic fishing yak and have fished with Hobie guys and they can cover a whole lot more area with the mirage drive than I could ever consider. The rudder is controled with a small handle/lever.
Each to his own though right??
Just for interest, the mirage drive is a drop in cassette sort of. It can be removed any time easily. There was guy I think on Matt's site that modded a wdaefish it think for a mirage drive

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Did some re-modifications on the boy's pirogue. Cut the stern off and put in a small transom. I made it right at thirteen degrees, so we can put a electric trolling motor on it if we decide to go that way. An added plus is it nests real nice in my Bayou "lite" skiff. We are getting them ready for paint. We had to let the fresh cut cypress rub rails dry out before sealing them with paint or varnish.
will post pix soon

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
100_1186.jpg

100_1188.jpg

100_1189.jpg

getting ready for paint
100_1194.jpg

100_1195.jpg

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
OLD Sparkey, Kayak Jack, Beekeeper....? No comments? Am I out of the loop? Come on guys, at least tell me you DON ' T like it. or not. Haven't been here for awhile, hope everyone is well. Regards to all, captaindoug

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captindoug.......

Welcome back.
I was looking at your build report yesterday wondering what happen to you and if you have completed it. If I remember correctly your buddy was going to or in the process of making one.
Looked around for an update but needless to say could not find one. :wink:

Now that's the heat has left ( well most of it ) this is the time to get busy. It's a shame to let a good looking boat like that be in dry dock and not out on the water for some enjoyment. Before you say it , Yep , I know I was super slow on mine also.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
captaindoug said:
OLD Sparkey, Kayak Jack, Beekeeper....? No comments? Am I out of the loop? Come on guys, at least tell me you DON ' T like it. or not. Haven't been here for awhile, hope everyone is well. Regards to all, captaindoug
Damned yard is too neat; patio is too well organized; fence needs painting; and the boat looks great.

13 Degrees?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
captaindoug said:

Your transom should work fine for a trolling motor and not create much turbulence when paddling. The bottom is still pointed. I like the trolling motor mounted on the front (pulling a chain) for better boat control while fishing. Not a problem for the pirogue. It works either direction. Just asking; Why 13 degrees?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldsparkey said:
beekeeper said:
Just asking; Why 13 degrees?

beekeeper

The Standard Angle or Degree for the transom of a boat is 12 or 13 degrees.

Chuck.......

I didn't know about a standard. The two sets of planes I have call for 5 and 10 degrees. They are rated for out boards. It may be different for trolling motors. I am not saying 12 or 13 is wrong, just different from what I was familiar with.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
beekeeper said:
I didn't know about a standard. The two sets of planes I have call for 5 and 10 degrees. They are rated for out boards. It may be different for trolling motors. I am not saying 12 or 13 is wrong, just different from what I was familiar with.

beekeeper

"O" Well , the standard according to Mercury Outboards for there motors is the 12 or 13 degree. All of the boat builders around here , the same. Must be different in different necks of the woods around this country.

When I worked at Orlando Clipper ( back in the dark ages ) all the boats from the 12 to the 21 was set on the transoms from 12 to 13 degrees. Might of been since we used Mercury outboards for the motors and the inboard /outboard for the 21's.
My guess is that since it is the standard down here that is why he did the 13 degrees.

Remember ... The bracket that the motor sits on is thinner at the top then the bottom so when it is on the transom of the boat there is a wider part which is lower holding the motor in place and for it to push against.
Without that angle on the transom then the motor would be on an angle and not a 90 degree with the water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Every OB motor I've ever seen is adjustable for angle of attack. But, having a "standard" angle to start with makes sense. Thanks.

Yep.. There is a little pin between the brackets that allows for adjustment , normally with it out one forward of the 90 degree angle with the foot of the motor and then back to normal with the pin in place and several more back. A good motor will even have a trolling adjustment and naturally a lock on the upper part to have the foot all the way out of the water.

Everything is according to the proper angle of the transom.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Hello fellas, thanks for the replies. The transom angle came about after an internet search. I can't remember exactly where, but as Chuck said, 12 to 13 degrees was quoted as the standard for outboard transoms.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I guess I'm done with the Bayou Skiff "Lite". Painted the interior with some epoxy paint, Sandstone color, (light tan). seemed to cover well with one coat and it hid a lot of my construction "Holidays". The son and I had a grand plan this morning to go fishing with a local Kayak club in upper Tampa Bay, got up early to get there by 0600, went out to drizzle and increasing winds, went back in, checked the "puter" for latest weather, cold front arriving sooner than forecast.... The boy is not very experienced yet, so decided discretion was better than valor, and postponed.
Skiff003.jpg

Skiff010.jpg

Skiff009.jpg

Skiff007.jpg

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I went on out to the launch site to watch the stalwarts paddle on in, to a man they said the fishing was great, the catching, not so much. Guess we didn't miss out so badly. Tomorrow, we be goin' out, Pics to follow