R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ? | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper San reminds me of my oldest daughter, when she was about 6 or 9 years old, and a Suzie Homemaker oven that cooked inedible, overly sugared, gunk dough over a light bulb. Daddy had to eat her offerings and keep a smile on his face. Worse, he had to buy her even more fixings when they went shopping.

Talk about self control!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Most importantly, keep this thread going because it is driving Jack and Chuck NUTS.

piper

A short drive for Jack or myself but I clearly see all of you have arrived there , way before us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck....
I called The Sawyer Septic Sewage Super Sucking Service but they will not be here for a few weeks ( or sometime next year) to clean up this thread. They do accept the imposable jobs. :wink:

islandpiper

In real ruff prototype version, here it is:

DSCF0001-4.jpg

It is sitting on my Danish Army (Swedish army??) Svea stove.

DSCF0002-4.jpg

Here is a better shot of the hinges, just single screwed for now. I need to find my pop rivet tool and put them on tight. I pinched the hinges off an old guitar case. I'll probably make a little wire lift handle on the door, too.

Here is a sort of tilted biscuit, baking on a folded up chunk of foil. I'll make a wire or tin rack, about 1/3 of the cavity height off the bottom.

DSCF0003-4.jpg

I just started it with a little fuel in the Trangia, so the biscuit got warm and firmed up, but didn't bake through. I need ot run the whole unit REAL HOT for a while and burn off the labels, etc.

DSCF0004-6.jpg

Looking forward to English Muffin Pizza on a paddling trip.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ovens have hot air circulating through them. Consider some holes to let in heat, and some vent holes to release it. A short piece of corrugated sheet aluminum Could be good for a rack. Or, some holes pierced through and wires stuck across?

I think you're doing a nice job here, Poper San.

islandpiper

I want to make a sheet metal shelf. It could be flipped upside down for travel, thus freeing up the interior to carry other stuff. I thought about wires but they clutter up the inside if you want to store something in it. Corrogated might be stiffer for the weight but i don't have any and a simple shelf with a bent down edge should carry anything that will fit inside.

I can pull the screw cap off this can if it needs to be vented. I think the door way leaks enough right now for ventilation. Besides, a Dutch Oven makes great breads and biscuits and there is ZERO ventilation.

I'll finish the hinges, add a door-lifter and burn it hot for a while and give it go on a pair of biscuits or mini pizzas or something.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dutch ovens are black cast iron, and cook by both conducting heat directly to the food, and radiating heat from top and bottom.

Your oven is light weight and shiny, and heated only from the bottom up. It is a container to vector flows of hot air around the food. That's why specific vents to control air flow and direct it to specific areas could boost effectiveness. It will also radiate heat around the inside like a reflector oven.

I just have to bump this one back up. I figure after a year and a half someone must have come up with something workable
If the term "Stove" is not necessarily definative, how about a coleman can smoker/oven. Would require a door like the one shown and a tubular smoke/heat inlet. The can could be placed next to the fire with the tube collecting heat and smoke so the can is never "directly" heated.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Piper's looks like the ammo box oven, even has a door on the side. Here's a really elaborate stove from a 50cal ammo box. Route the exhaust from that through the inner space in a double walled box and you'd be livin' large.

In the boy scouts, we tried the shoe box oven. Take a shoebox, cover it with heavy duty aluminum foil inside and out. We might have poked pencil size holes in the bottom of the box - I don't remember for sure.

Get charcoal going til it's coated with light grey ash. Dig a trench/build a firepit/find a flat rock. Ideally it will be a little narrower than the shoe box. You need room for about 9-10 coals, stacked 2 deep at most. We did this in Fl, so digging a trench meant scrape off 1/2" of topsoil to get to the coral.

Mix up cornbread mix in the al. bowl from the mess kit. You want a pretty thin layer - 1 - 1 1/2 inch or it will burn on the outside and be liquid in the middle.

Transfer the coals to the trench. Using rocks or sticks put the bowl about 2" above the coals. Using more sticks, put the shoebox open side down over the bowl, with the edge of the box slightly below the bowl. Wait about twenty minutes. Stuff learned the hard way: do not lift the box to check very often, it adds 5 minutes to the cooking time; do not blow on the coals to speed things up, it gets ashes on the cornbread.

So Piper - substitute "square gallon can" for "shoebox".

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
"Steam baking" is an easy option too. Mix up the goop (biscuit dough, corn bread, epoxy & shavings), put it into a plastic bag (lightweight food storage bag works well). Use about 15% less liquid in the dough than you would have to use if your dough were open to dry heat.

Have a covered cooking pot, with a steamer basket in it. The same steamer basket used at home to steam broccoli, etc. works very well in camp. Have an inch of water in the pot, (should not overflow the bottom of the basket), get it boiling, set the bag of dough onto the steamer basket, cover the pot.

Now, you don't need as large a fire to keep it boiling as you did to get it boiling, so turn down your flame to a lower setting. Twenty to thirty minutes later, you have baked bread/biscuit, etc. Nice thing here is, it doesn't scorch or burn. The only extra weight you carry is the 4 oz basket.

Some steamer baskets have legs that are permanently riveted in. Look around a bit, and find one that has legs that are little spring clips that are easy to remove and reattach. This unit will pack more compactly in less space. Also, this kind has no permanent center post, so the bag sits perfectly flat.