R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ? | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper San, So, you're going to heat up an oil can with the bottom half of a beer can and some rubbing alcohol. You are:
A. Half crazy
B. Half ingenious
C. All crazy
D. All the above

Sounds like a vast project, undertaken in a half vast manner.

Don't forget about steam baking; it is very simple and uses stuff you already have.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Well shoot now I got to start over
Had this neat little wood fired stove in mind
and wouldn't ya know it someone changes the rules
oh well guess I'll just put this on the back burner

My camp oven says Coleman on it

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you want to bake something in the camp then use the Backpacker , no fuss , no muss , simple and easy and will cook just about anything you want in the baked goods line.

It is my stand by for cornbread or anything that needs to be baked , bread , pizza , anything. http://www.bakepacker.com/ Plus there is nothing to clean when you are done. :D :D :D
20 minutes and I have some hot cornbread to go with my soup in the evening time or in the morning ( a fresh batch ) to have with or for my Breakfast.

If you can find it , get one of Jean S. Spangenber books for the Backpacker.... The Backpackers Companion. It is packed with information and lots of good recipes.

I have one that say's .. Coleman on it and it stays here..... somewhere , but it is here. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
The simple fact is this: I own a gallon tin container.......I don't own a Bakepacker. I own a pop can stove, I don't own a Coleman burner.
Which one of those makes that loud, squwalling noises that wakes me up in your driveway? I'm bettng it was the pop can stove - right?

islandpiper

Oz, I'm only toting one DO on a paddling trip. If there is a cornish hen and cornbread stuffing simmering along in the DO and we want, fresh, hot biscuits with dinner and an apple pie for desert there must be a way to cook these (that does not detract from my already scary 4" of freeboard).

piper

islandpiper

VVS1yacht.jpg

yup. piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
That's the boat that Keith and Seedtick built from sunken cypress, and painted with aluminum spray paint, right? Seedtick backchanneled me about that one. Slick.

Galley slaves must have to turn a crank to run the props.

islandpiper

Oz,sorry.......missed the question the first time.

Fuel Conservative? Nope...... I'm going to try one or two pop can stoves. In the swamp I think this will fit on Jdupre's grill over the fire. Dry sticks are free.

What have you got in mind? I can "hear" the gears turning.....

piper

islandpiper

Oz........You know me better than that......there's few rules here. If you want to make a three gallon box oven , then go for it. In fact, Iwant to see it. Ingenuity counts high. I just don't have room in my boat for a three-gallon oven, and I'm planning on what I can put INSIDE mine so it takes up virtually no room.

Most importantly, keep this thread going because it is driving Jack and Chuck NUTS.

piper