Rib Rub for Hairy Mick | SouthernPaddler.com

Rib Rub for Hairy Mick

islandpiper

Mick, here in the States we trot down to the store and buy Emeril's Creole Seasoning. Where you are it may be necessary to make it:

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

If I was making it, and I sometimes do, I'd make a double or triple recipe.

Then, to make it a good rib rub, combine two parts of the spice mix and one part of brown sugar.

Around here we rub plain yellow mustard (sauce, not dry) on the meat and then add a liberal amount of the spice rub mix. then onto a 250 degree F. smoker............

the 3-2-1 method is foolproof: Smoke for three hours, spraying with apple juice or pineapple juice to keep them moist. Then two hours in a covered pan.........foil will do it, and back in the smoker to stay at the same temp. then, out of the smoker and back on the rack, same temp, for one hour ( 3-2-1 ) , spraying again as needed.

You'll find you need a baseball bat (cricket stick) or a short, oak rowing oar by about the half-way point through the cooking. When your friends and family and passers-by start lifting the cover on the smoker and pinching off little bits they may not respond to your verbal requests to just wait till you serve them.

You may also need someone to hold the pan while you are loading the ribs into it for the two hour covered waiting period. Miss Samantha generously offered to help with this chore.

bbq%20help.jpg

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Most of the barbecue kings wont tell ya their secrets. piper aint like "most" barbecue kings.....cept he aint tole us what kinda wood he uses 'n where he buys hiz meat. 8)

Use the brown sugar in the rub. I am partial ta wet mustard used like piper sez. It iz also fine on fish. Mix the mustard with horseradish, then roll yer fish in corn meal 'er flour...eggs...whatever. Fry away! Ya'll have "hushpuppies" downunder? Same plan az feedin' yer dog.

regards
bearridge

We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society. Hillary R. Clinton

islandpiper

b, the meat came in big boxes from the local restaurant supply. The chicken was just leg quarters. The ribs were St. Louis ribs which are a smaller rack, not a lot of trimming to do.

The wood was pretty special....don't know if I should share this.......just don't pass it around, OK? ( it was cut up branches of the trees from behind the house, from thumb size to wrist size, bark on, variety wood, could have been maple , most of it. Just stuff that fell onto the yard when the wind blew)

Smoke is smoke.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Uncle Kieth, :D

What can I say? but thank you. i not only have the recipe for your lovely barbie but also Creale spice - Outstanding.

BTW. Who is Miss Samantha? Stunning woman. Is she your daughter? :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
Smoke is smoke.
Friend Mick,

Well, he tole ya'll near bout all of hiz secrets. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Talking to a democrat is like trying to teach your dog not to eat turds, it is a lost cause. Posted by: James Old Guy on November 3, 2004 02:48 PM

captcj

Mar 15, 2008
N. Central FLA
'Piper!!!

Smoke, my friend, definitely ain't smoke! The woody plant (tree) world is basically divided into two broad catagories: decidous (broad leaf) and coniferous (haveing cones, and usually needles of some sort). MOST , NOT ALL, decidous trees are OK for smoking, some much better than others. 'Round here that means oak, hickory, pecan, cutrus. Not camphor or any other resinous wood. As far as I know, ain't no coniferous trees (pine, cypress, cedar) good for smoking or any other kind of cooking where the smoke touches the food. They'll leave an awful black tar on your food, akin to creosote. Never tried maple, though we have the red variety in spades; I'll have to look into that. Same for bay. :?:

Basically, if you cut into the wood and take a wiff of the fresh wound, if there is any distictive scent (think cedar, pine, camphor), it'll totally ruin your food. :(

captcj

Mar 15, 2008
N. Central FLA
continued...

:roll: I left off a sentence!

That smell in fresh cut wood comes from oils in the wood. When that oil burns, you get the aforementioned tar. Those oils are what makes pine, cedar, etc such good kindling and hot -burning outdoor wood, just not for cooking. Not in your fireplace, either, unless you like chimney fires. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captcj said:
islandpiper said:
Here's a great idea, captcj. If you ever get invited to eat at my house, pass it up.

piper

Gee, ain't that friendly? :roll:

Yep .....

Piper like others on here are always welcoming folks with open arms. This is why I'm sure it was a slip of the fingers on the keyboard , anyway I sure wish it was , if not then it is uncharacteristic for piper.

One thing , we do agree to disagree and sometimes the pot does boil over. I think this might of been one of those times , if not then do like a duck , let it roll off your back and keep swimming on. Something I have a masters degree in , at times and sometimes ...... NOT :lol:

Like you ....The little things ... bug me , the major problems .... you fill in the blank _____________, I was going to say screw them but I can't use that language on here or I would be violating my own rule. :oops:

Piper always has to much food , look at Jack after his visit at pipers , he use to be thin and would fit in a kayak , now he has to have an open kayak , no cockpit. Just a 32 wide by 6 foot open area.

If anything , Piper could be doing you a huge favor but I'm sure it is meant in humor since he is a great guy and will do anything for anyone. If not then what the Hell let him cook food over some pine , I would not want to eat it either. ( where is that smiley pucking):evil:
There are some good restaurants in his area where a person can enjoy a meal.:D

Chuck.
PS.. Just remember not all of us like the same things , some like maple smoked eats and some like cedar or pine smoked eats , that is what makes this world spin around and neither the twain shall eat the same. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
After trying a lot of hard woods for smoking, I still like hickory by far the best. Personal taste. Grew up on home cured bacon and ham.

Apple wood is good - if you can't get real hickory.

Piper San is a good cook, a gracious host, an accomplished musician, a highly skilled wood carver and maker of musical instruments, and a passable story teller. Didn't play any cards or dominoes with him, so don't know how well he plays or if he cheats.

The twinkle in his eye says a lot about him. Other people in his community think very highly of him, I know that to be a fact. (None of them shot at me when I mentioned who I was visiting. And, they donated food to his Ponchatoula Rendezvous.)

dawallace45

Piper
I tried your Creole seasoning on a roast chicken I did on the spit over a slow wood fire on Sunday , absolutely bloody beautiful

I got my self a few kilo's of lamb ribs last week , was thinking of trying your rub on them along with the smoking in my covered gas grill , I'm not sure how to go about it , any suggestions ?

David

dawallace45

Mick

Will try that

Yeah , absolutely pissing down , cold and bloody miserable , giving the arthritis hell , to make matters worse I've got a new doctor [ Arab ] who did a pile of tests to see if there was any cause other than wear and tear for all my joint pain , there isn't and it's seem there is just excessive wear and he wants me to loose 13 kg to make it easier on the joints , this is not the sort of weather for dieting , this is the sort of weather for chilli con carne , corn bread , red beans and rice and hot damper loaded with butter and honey

Gave my self a welding flash yesterday , made it worse by welding this morning , got a sore throat and feel some bug coming on , only just got over a bloody stomach flu

By the way , you know that finger I dislocated , well after I dislocated it another 3 times I finally got around to strapping it up properly , doctor reckons it was broken as well , still don't have full movement in it yet , got another lecture from the doctor

Not a happy camper today , starting to get bored again

David

islandpiper

David, finally, somebody with more aches and pains than me!!

OK, use the dry rub liberally , let it sit for an hour or so, covered in the fridge or on the counter, depending on your conditions. Then, smoke as usual. Around here we use a dry rub padded on by hand till you can't see the meat, let sit at room temp an hour and smoke. Or......dry the meat with a towel, then coat with yellow prepared mustard, THEN the rub. bottom line is you really can't go wrong with good meat and a long, slow smoke.

Glad you enjoy the recipe. If you were here we'd go out to the range and burn some powder, then have a short paddle, drink some Louisiana coffee and swing by the grocery and stock you up with cajun/creole spices.

piper