Rib Rub for Hairy Mick | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Rib Rub for Hairy Mick

dawallace45

Piper

Don't mind me , I'm just feeling a little sore and sorry for my self at the moment and getting bored , can't look at the computer screen or the TV or read a book for too long a the moment with this welding flash so I'm getting fidgety , but the sore throat is starting to take my mind off it

But this talking about food is driving me mad with this bloody diet

With the chicken I washed it down and patted it dry and then coated it with the yellow mustard and then sprinkled the seasoning on heavy and even inside , I slow cooked it on the spit for about 3 hours basting it all the time with a mix of Lime juice , honey ,olive oil and sweet paprika , good thing I had it wired up it just fell apart when I took it off the spit , the fire was from a mix of Wattle , Box and some Iron Bark , nice slow smoky fire , the seasoned crust was over a 1/8" thick , and the meat was moist and tender , also did a leg of lamb at the same time

Yep sound good to me , tell me more about this Louisiana coffee

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Dave, I do my chooks and lamb joints in the Webber like that.

Usually I cut the chook in half and lay it flat, Portugese style and spice up the whole lot. 8) 8) I chuck some wet, black wattle leaves onto the heat beads to get a real good smoke up.

Oh yeah, Lemon Scented tea tree leaves do a good job too - especially on catfish in the webber. :D

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Marinate

Ketchup vinegar and a little mustard mixed with grilled onions and
garlic makes a pretty good marinade for grilling on the BB. If ya feel
like it some jalapenos too, depending on what you can stand.
Hickory on the coals.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So far, I've observed that you can marinate almost anything in almost anything, and it comes out better. There are limitations, fer sure.

But, marinades can be sweet or sour or acidic or salty, thin, thickened, or dry. Meats can be almost anything - except, maybe opossum.

Marinades are near miracle workers. Marinade would even improve viennie snausages up to where a dog - or maybe even a polecat - would enjoy one or two. :?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Some of the best deep fried catfish I ever ate started in a mustard/horseradish bath. IIRC, cornmeal come next. If I had been in charge I woulda dusted 'em in Zatarains. Az it wuz, Jarvis passed out.

regards
bearridge

I jest want to see one more place that aint settled before I take up the rocking chair. Gus McCrae

dawallace45

Mick

I'm thinking I may try your idea next time I get a Barra out Lake Awoonga , as they tend to be a little tasteless unless spiced up a bit

I left my Webber up Clermont , gave it to a mate , just didn't have the room for it to bring it down , but will try the cutting chooks in half and try smoking them on the covered grill , been thinking of trying my Cobb cooker for hot smoking fish

Coogs , I like that idea as well , will try it , thanks

Marinades are near miracle workers. Marinade would even improve viennie snausages up to where a dog - or maybe even a polecat - would enjoy one or two

Jack

Now I know your S#%ting me , LOL

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
All recipes for cooking fish have drawbacks - most of the space is taken up with ingredients to coverup the flavor of the fish. Most of what we taste is the oil and breading.

If fish were truly fit for people to eat, we would be eating it with, oh maybe, salt and pepper. Nebba hoppen!

Use fish to fertilize corn. Feed the corn to a cow. Eat steak. THAT'S the way to eat fish.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
All recipes for cooking fish have drawbacks - most of the space is taken up with ingredients to coveru0p the flavor of the fish. Most of what we taste is the oil and breading

Agreed - with SOME fish.

If fish were truly fit for people to eat, we would be eating it with, oh maybe, slat and pepper. Nebba hoppen!

That is the way I cook most of my fish. and all fish taken from the salt water. :p

Use fish to fertilize corn. Feed the corn to a cow. Eat steak. THAT'S the way to eat fish.
:shock: :shock:

That definately has you in the minority mate. :D

Catfish out here are considered a trash fish- used mostly for crab bait and are pretty much, universally despised. With care in their preperation and cooking though, they can be very good indeed.

Jack, I know you don't live on the ocean coast mate, so your access to quality, salt water fish may be somewhat limited. if you ever get the chance to buy a piece of Spanish mackeral, I think you guys call them King Mackeral, or even Cobia, try a piece, thinly sliced, lightly coated in plain flour and shallow fried till golden brown. Only spices needed will be a little salt and pepper and a sqeeze of lemon.

Either of these fish, cooked this way, are so good they will make a jelly fish frisky.
:p
Dave, give the barra a miss mate. There is nothing you can do with them out of Awonga. they will still taste like crap. Eat the catfish instead. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Last trip ta the Sam Walton store I grabbed some frozen salmon that wuz on sale. I found the wrench ta tighten up the bolt in my Chinook Cedar Plank. I dont have a stylish hat fer left coast injun cookin', but I figger it will turn out good.

Once upon a time I wuz at a deep fried catfish cookin'. Peter Rabbit McGarrh wuz doin' the cookin'. He had a mustard/horseradish dip, then cornmeal. That wuz some fine eatin'. What a nice flavor!

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it. Ashleigh Brilliant

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mick, you are absolutely correct. And THAT is the difference between seafood and fish. "Fish" is a freshwater beast. Seafood is fit for a king. I agree.

We don't get any ocean fish here, even when Lake Michigan is at high tide. (Which Chuckie would misidentify as low tide anyway.) sigh

islandpiper

This is a repost, but i thought the Aussies-among-us might enjoy going one step beyond the spice mix that started this thread.

This one is a little more spicy.......and can go another couple of steps if you adjust the cayenne UP.

First, credit where credit is due.......Coop's Place on Decator St in New Orleans is the original home of this blend of spices. They are a great, but small, eating place.....not on the usual tourist information maps, but more of a place where the locals eat. People who work in the Quarter may be found there all day and most of the night. Great food, great drinks, great, if a little near the edge, atmosphere. When in New Orleans be sure to visit, eat the best Gumbo you will EVER eat and enjoy a real slice of the Big Easy.

4 parts salt, I use Kosher, coarse
3 parts Cayenne Pepper
3 parts black pepper, ground
3 parts granulated garlic, dry
2 parts MSG
1 part ground cumin
1 part Paprika
2 parts onion powder if desired

Combine ingredients. I use a food processor to mill it to a fine powder. Store in a sealed bottle. Use this in or on nearly anything. Caution; please don't let this hit a hot cooking surface like a skillet in a house........the results will chase mice, vermin and
Bible Salesmen out of your house, and really burn your eyes!!

But.......it's good stuff. I use it on fried potatoes, scrambled eggs......mashed potatoes, fish, burgers.......everything but cold beer.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Piper

islandpiper

Bob, you won't be sorry for making up a batch of this stuff. i use TABLESPOON as the unit. makes a nice batch with enough to share with a friend or two.

I DO NOT use this as a rub.........just on fried potatoes, in gumbo, scrambled eggs, etc.....great stuff but i think a BBQ thick coating of this on a rack of ribs would perhaps kick your (Texas) butt.....i know it would mine. But, I grew up in a snowbank. Spicy food got TWO grinds of pepper.

Piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Reduce the black pepper by 2/3 'n I figger yer close ta Zatarains Shrimp, Crab 'n Crawfish Boil. It iz mostly salt 'n cayenne pepper. I used ta mix my own til I jest got lazy.....kinda like the High Sheriff. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps I jest fixed up a shaker fer each pickup. I keep a shaker by the stove. I keep the big jar in the ice box.

I had amnesia once -- or twice. unknown

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
(Which Chuckie would misidentify as low tide anyway.) sigh

We should have known better when he was trying to look for a tide chart on the back of a box of TIDE! :roll:

MSG numbs my lips.....do ya need it? I think it's there just to keep the mix from clumping up.

islandpiper

The msg is optional. some people do have problems with it. use a little plain sugar......like 1/4 as much as the msg called for.

Sorry your lips get numb. on the other hand, if you have to kiss a lot of butts at work, then maybe you could keep a little shaker of it on your bench.

That tip was free. You're welcome. :D

Bearridge, the regular shrimp boil has powdered cloves in it. Also, the commercial boil is very highly overbalanced in the salt department, way more so than this mix.

piper