Robin's Laker | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Robin's Laker

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
That helps a lot! Thanks guys. I am not building the Laker. I am currently building two Pirogues. I am thinking about building the Swampgirl next. How do you like yours for fishing?

Thanks, Brian

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Brian,

My swampgirl was a great fishing boat. Reasonable turn of speed, very manouverable and immensly stable. I sold mine to some friends a few months ago and my daughter still has not forgiven me! In fact, I am still beating myself up over it too.

She loved this boat even more than I did. I think that as a skinny water fishing boat, swampgirl has no equal. Standard pirogues come pretty close but still are not as good.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Started fitting out the inside yesterday,

Rear bulkhead and seat supports are cut, fitted and in.

002640x480-1.jpg

Front deck support and fiit brace backing plates are in

010640x480.jpg

Seat top, is cut, re-inforced underneath and in

012640x480-1.jpg

getting there!! :D

013640x480.jpg

014640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Mick, she's looking good. That is some gorgeous wood. What exactly are the deck tubes you are building? The shape is not familiar

Thanks mate.

All it is is a small deck tube to hold a camera or similar. It will fit up, under the apex of the front deck, secure and out of the worst of the weather.

It is only experimental at this stage and will probably evolve as I go.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Hey, Mick;

When you have some time, no hurry, I'd be interested in a good description of those tubes. I just got myself some pro camera gear for campin' and water runs and I'd sure like to keep it as dry as possible.

Dad

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dad,

No problem mate. I will measure mine up and post details when I get a chance. We only use pocket digital cameras in the boats and even though they are supposed to be waterproof (Pentax Optio W30 s) I am a bit cynical about the manufacturers claims.

By storing them up under the decks, they are allways within easy reach.

For your pro camera stuff, you might need to change the size of your tube but you will get the idea. :D

Started fitting the decks today. There is a howling SE wind with intermittent showers so things are nice and cool and I seem to be getting a fair bit done. 8)

009640x480-1.jpg

002640x480-2.jpg

007640x480-1.jpg

keith

1. first photo is the back
2. second photo is from back to front
3. third photo is from front to back
with that good plywood its hard to see the peek in front with the camera angle. the high piece goes in front for the waves and stuff, keep the nose in the wind. later keith

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Mick, Your work is always so impeccable! I aspire to be as good as you someday even if I never get there.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys -

Taking my time on this one and checking a lot of stuff that I didn't bother with on mine.

In spite of that ( or perhaps because of it?) the boat is coming together real well. I can't rave enough about just how much easier the quality ply is to work with.

Thanks for the very kind words mate, but my workmanship isn't impeccable. Granted, it is getting better and there are fewer mistakes in this build but for sure, they are there - just not so obvious this time.

There are a couple of open canoes on the to do list, one of which is a gift for a very dear friend. I am trying to get my skills to a standard where her boat will be as close to furnature quality as I can do. Not sure I am ready yet. You sea, I am a bit like a New Zealander. Ya gotta punch the information into me more than once. :lol:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron, thanks mate. :D

Took the decks off today, filleted and glassed the inside.

Installed backing plates for the deck carry handles and bungees and mounted the little deck tube.

IMG_2177005640x480.jpg

IMG_2178006640x480.jpg

IMG_2176004640x480.jpg

IMG_2181009640x480.jpg

Tonight I put on the final coat of resin for the underside, did my endpours and cleaned up the inside of the boat.

Hopefully tomorrow, the decks go on. There is a cyclone forming just up the coast from here. I may need to put the boat on hold for a couple of days. Will see what the weather is like tomorrow.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I like your glove box there, Mick. I had the impression you were going to install two of them side by side. Are the circles on the under side of the decks anchor points for bungee/straps to hold on hatch covers? Keep'em tight; losing hatches is part of what happened tot he Edmund Fitzgerald.