Robin's Laker | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Robin's Laker

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Kayak Jack wrote

I like your glove box there, Mick. I had the impression you were going to install two of them side by side. Are the circles on the under side of the decks anchor points for bungee/straps to hold on hatch covers? Keep'em tight; losing hatches is part of what happened tot he Edmund Fitzgerald.

G'day Jack, Thanks mate.

I did make two of them, but the other one is for my boat. :p

The circles are 2 inch discs of 4mm ply that I cut with a hole saw. They are the mounting points for the foredeck bungees. The ones near the hatch of just in case I ever decide to make a hatch lid. Our lakes are all small and the rivers & creeks here, are even smaller.

They were much easier to install with the deck off - is all.

99 percent of Robin's paddling will be done in calm, flat water. They hatch is a very neat fit for a small plastic tub that is readily available here. I will be putting a 3/4" coaming round the lip and the tub will fit very neatly into the hole. The little tub, is just another place for Robin to put her sunscreen, water bottle, snacks etc. while paddling and she will be able to access it while still in the cockpit. :D

I got the decks on this morning :D

001640x480-3.jpg

002640x480-4.jpg

003640x480-3.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
External deck to side fillets are done.

I stand the boat on it side and do one side at a time. Allows for easier working.

IMG_2197008640x480.jpg

Deck saturation coats are on. Today, we fibreglass.

001640x480-4.jpg

002640x480-5.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Looking good, Mick. As one of my friends says "That thing is slicker than snot on a doorknob!". Very streamlined.

Mick, you think that front deck would be strong enough to be able to get out over the bow?

Later Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Joey,

Thanks mate. :D this is my best build to date., as far as workmanship goes. I am real pleased with the way it is coming together.

Mick, you think that front deck would be strong enough to be able to get out over the bow?

Mate, I am not sure what exactly you mean. Is it strong enough to stand on the front deck? probably not.

Is it strong enough to climb all over it while in the water? certainly.

Would the deck support 2oo pounds on land ? I don't know and hope to never find out.

The deck is a solid as any kayak I have seen. It is re-inforced from underneath with a solid fillet down the seam, further re-inforced with fibreglass cloth and epoxy on both sides. and the whole lot is supported with a cross brace on edge and generous sheer clamps and wood flour fillets.We tie out kayaks on to the roofracks - upside down so the boat is sitting on the apex of the deck. They are tied down TIGHT and there is no flex in the deck that I can see.

Bit more done today,

first wet out coat.

002640x480-6.jpg

005640x480-5.jpg

2nd or fill coat and first layer of coamings on.

007640x480-4.jpg

010640x480-3.jpg

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Mick, she's a beautiful boat, already.

You and Ron are gonna cause me to change my mind about kayaks and get one built. (You think Matt'd be willing to draw up a 16 footer? I like a longer boat, personally.)

But the first cottonmouth to drop from a tree into the boat with me, I get ashore, it's firewood and I'm WALKING home! It done happened to me once, darn sure don't want it to happen, again. I didn't think I'd ever get out of that thing.

:roll: :lol: :wink: :lol: :roll:

Steve

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It still wonder why moses took them aboard, well come to think maybe he didn't that why their so PO at the world

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Dad Steve,
Must be sumthin bout Texans. Makes me want to not go near the water anymore. Go back in Trip Reports to May 15 and read the one titled A Exlax Day by brother Tx River Rat.
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bob
I still break into a sweat over that one, Dad where is Maurice vil , and build your cockpit like mine easy in easy out.
Ron

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Ron,

I'm about 10 minutes north of I-10 right off of hwy 62 just a couple of miles north of highway 12. You'll most likely pass me by on yer way to Piper's when you get on 10. 62 crosses 10 right as ya get into Orange about 5 minutes before ya cross over into Louisiana.

I'm gonna have to take another look at yer build, then.

Ron, the time it happened to me, my brother had talked me into trying his 'yak. One of those that has just enough cockpit to get into. Well, that bugger of a snake actually made it into the cockpit with me when it dropped off that limb. :shock: Needless to say I ain't been too anxious about getting back into one of those things since. :roll: An' he hasn't gotten over the damage I did getting outa that thing, either! :shock:

Okay, Matt. Let's talk.

And I got an idee for a small tow behind with strictly hatch covers so when I've got my camera equipment with me there's no risk of it getting soaked when I capsize. It's some expensive stuff.

Dad

JEM

sheena's dad said:
Okay, Matt. Let's talk.

It's pretty straight-forward to draw up a longer one. Only stumbling block you run into is fitting it onto the plywood.

A 16' version would add about 50-60 more pounds capacity. That means the minimum you want on board is around 190. 210-220 would probably give the best ride.

You don't want to be under the minimum on this one. So if I were to get into drawing one that long, I might think about taking 1" off the beam.

Also, something truly 16' would require 2 splices per hull panel. So it's best to either go like 15'6 for only one splice, or 16'6 to make the extra split worth while.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Mick could you show your laker and Robins side by side so we can see the spacing difference of using a spacer verses no spacer? Or is there so little that it is unnoticeable?