Robin's Laker | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Robin's Laker

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Been working on the coamings today - lots of bloody sanding.

Sorry Oz, forgot all about the combined piccies. Will try to remember tomorrow. :oops:

Build up layers

004320x200.jpg

Coaming lip glued on

006320x200.jpg

more sanding tomorrow.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Mick,

Me thinks me gonna be pm'ing you and TRR alot as soon as Matt comes through with that 16 footer (actually 15'6", I think was what we had settled on...) Can't wait. If I can git mine to look near HALF as good as yours I'd be tickled pink.

Steve

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Joe,

Thanks mate.

These are a great little day tripping boat. I think one or two might be very popular with your clients at your place. Light stable and fast and no fuss to them at all.

I know that if I were to paddle your river and you had these as part of your fleet, I would want to be using one.

Dad,

Thanks for the kind words. :D the beauty in this boat is really in the top quality ply and premium resin I am using. Using the best products makes the job a LOT easier and the boat significantly lighter. I hefted her to my shoulder today. I reckon she is an honest 4 or 5 pounds lighter than my boat. :shock:

I think a Laker at 15'6" will be a bloody beauty. Particularly so, if Matt makes her the same beam or a little narrower.

PM away mate. Only too happy to help if I can. I have to admit to being very interested in a longer, skinnier version of this one. :oops:

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Mick, Matt 'n I discuss the beam thing and decided with my weightit would stay the same. To be honest I anxious to see the final result, drawings or otherwise.

How do you think it would look with high quality maple decks and the rest in a high quality mahogany? A mahogany strip down the peak, maybe?
(Don't worry Matt you won't have to draw that I can work it in.... 8) )

Matt, from the sound of it, you might have another drawing to be adding to the list sooner than you thought.......

Steve

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dad,

Same beam is probably a good idea. The extra length will give a very good load capacity.

You must have a lot better choice of ply than we do. I think the specialty woods would make for a very pretty boat. mahogany strip down the middle would be stunning.

I have been practiscing inlays myself, but haven't been able to get good enough to include some in a boat yet.

It is breaking my heart to paint Robins but that is what she wants.

(Don't worry Matt you won't have to draw that I can work it in.... )

I think Matt will be very pleased to hear this :p

Matt, from the sound of it, you might have another drawing to be adding to the list sooner than you thought.......

Outstanding.!!! :D

Will post some piccies as soon as I get em uploaded :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
MICK
That is really a pretty job and fine workmenship Bet it is going to be hard to make that first stroke with that paint brush.
You need to give your boat to Ms Robin paint it keep this one natural.
Naa don't think she would go for it.
Ron

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Mick,

A person would think that she would want to show off her husband's woodworking/boatbuilding skills with that boat and let all that natural beauty you have brought together for her to enjoy just shine right on through. :?

Truly a beautiful job, Mick. You be 8) da man!

I know it's Robin's boat and she's going toget what she wants, likes, etc;
and if the truth be told you probably wouldn't have it any other way :) .... no matter how much it pains you to apply paint :shock: to such a thing of beauty.

I feel for ya, brother. I really do. :cry:

Dad

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
R L

Miz Robin, [if I may be so bold as to adderss you by your first name] I agree with everyone that thinks that to paint your boat would hide the beauty of it.

Rather than paint it, why not put Mick to work with his new air brush equipment.

Think of how unique your boat would be if you left it un-painted but, on either side of the front deck, an Abroginal style picture of, on one side
a Wadherung and on the other Bunjil.

Not only would it set your boat off like no other but, it would portray a bit of Australian history.

Just my humble opinion

islandpiper

Paint the boat.........rather, PAINT HER BOAT THE WAY SHE WANTS IT.

Robin, pick the color YOU want........and have Mick paint it........if the epoxy is sanded and rubbed out smoothly it will be great. If not, then it will look like mine! But, really, I prefer mine painted.

Look at it this way, the old Eskimos probably figure wood grain is ugly compared to the inside of the traditional seal skin.

One thing about paint.....you can tell where the wear it without a micro inspection, thus allowing you to touch up as required. And some wear is a badge of honor.......places you've been, etc.

Paint the boat.

Piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
John,

The cut outs are just to make it easier to adjust the side tie straps for the back band.

019640x480.jpg

almost done, A little touch up here and there, but she gets wet tomorrow!! :D :D

008640x480-5.jpg

004640x480-7.jpg

003640x480-6.jpg

Ozzy, Here ya go mate, Sister Ships, :D

012640x480-2.jpg

014640x480-1.jpg

011640x480-3.jpg

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Ya know its pictures like this that have inspired me, the World's most practiced procrastinator to actually get off my backside and start one of these for meself. If it turns out half as good looking as these then I'll be well rapt. Robin, nice colour, don't listen to these clowns what would they know if it doesn't have a beer label on it.
Mick, my ongoing thanks to you for prompting me and other folks to give this boat thingy a go. Sorry no camera available at the moment but promise will get mine back one day, just don't expect it to be this good... or purple 8)
Allways find meself doing ps's.
Mick are those footbraces available in Oz?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day John,

Thanks mate. To tell you the truth, I am as nervous as a kitten. We take Robin's boat for a walk tomorrow with the local canoe club.

I have put my soul into this one and done the best that I can. It s by far my best build so far and I just pray that she likes it. There are a couple of flaws cosmetically that I have only just found and I am beating my self up for not noticing them before it was to late to fix them. Anyway, the hull is fair and the lines are true.

re the duckworks foot braces, I don't know about Aussie availability mate. I order mine from Duckworks. I have used Roscoe and Viking foot braces but at $110.00 and $144.00 respectively, I think they are way too dear.

The Duckworks ones are much cheaper even with shipping and they are way better too. I would recommend you shoot Chuck or Sandra a email. They are good people and a pleasure to do business with. Your footbraces will be here long before you are ready for them. The screws that come with them are a little short to go through the hull and backing plate, but any chandlery can sell you 1 1/2" by 1/4" stainless screws that fit perfectly.

When you are ready to install your foot braces, let me knw and I will give you the measurements from the boats bottom and ideal position from the seat front. You need to plan for this before you put your deck on.

Re your boats build quality - don't worry about it mate. It will be fine. Just keep your lines fair and every thing else will fall into place. It is only wood. I put a lot more effort into Robin's boat, simply because it was for her. Had it been for me, It would have been much quicker and rougher and still been a very good boat.