She takes a very SEXY shape!!! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

She takes a very SEXY shape!!!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ah Ha! We are all in the same boat after all! Pun intended. :lol: I have some acetone on hand and will carefully put it in my mix for the saturation coat only, not the glass coat or subsequint layers there after. Holy crap I am starting to sound like a gall darn lawyer! Blah Blah Blah!! :?
Hey, Are we having fun yet?
I kinda figured that layers of glass and epoxy would cover any pin holes, but David does raise a good point if you are thinning down your epoxy for a protection layer that might leak or allow water penitration. Always at least 2 ways to look at things!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It's interesting here, Tyer, how we have advice, questions, information, etc. flowing from all around the world. Guys who have never met are looking over each other's shoulders, advising, learning from each other, and becoming friends.

Some get together and meet, others remain in their parts of the world. We've all grown from both giving and getting advice.

Fortunately, none of us has grown up yet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
Ah Ha! We are all in the same boat after all! Pun intended.
I kinda figured that layers of glass and epoxy would cover any pin holes, but David does raise a good point if you are thinning down your epoxy for a protection layer that might leak or allow water penitration. Always at least 2 ways to look at things!

You are correct , the thin layer (saturation layer) would let water thru the stitch holes , They are sealed when you put a good layer of epoxy on the boat after the saturation layer is there.

Then you have a layer of glass over that and more epoxy ...... I don't know why but it makes the boat waterproof , not a leak in sight. Just one of those unsolved mysteries of life ... I guess :lol:

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Hi Guys
There is a product that you can use to saturate the wood before glassing or painting. It es CEPS ( Clear Epoxy Penatrating Epoxy). The stuff is so thin you cannot brush it overhead, it will run through the brush and down your arm. Excellent epoxy primer. For you guys that like to finish bright, this same people make a 5 year varnish. If you want to look the site is www.smithandcompany.org .I read about this stuff in another forum about building Caladonia yawls. If that address does not get you into it holler at me and I will look the complete address for you.
Bob

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Coming along!

Ribs in.
P5090001.jpg

Attaching rub rails.

P5110003.jpg

I used a 1- 1/2" door jam trim made of pine for the rub rails, it was light and available in 16 ft lengths. Here is an end view. I thought it would have a nice flow so to speak!
P5120005.jpg

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
making some progress! Sure the yard needs mowed and the gutters cleaned out! But!!!!

bottom attached and some sure-form trimming on the excess! Hey the floor got a little messy guy's. Right before I vacumed :lol:

P5190002.jpg

masking for fillets and fillets in! Now to sand and get a saturation coat on before glass work begins.

P5220015.jpg

P5220016.jpg

P5230017.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking good and I think you have this wood boat building down to a science.

NOW... PLEASE... Someone pass me the smelling salts, before I pass out , there was some sawdust on the floor of his shop.

I wounder where he found some to scatter over the floor. :? :? :?

Doesn't taping it make it a lot easier on doing the fillets then having to go back and do a ton of sanding by not using the tape.

Chuckles

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Tyer man it,s looking good. Looks like your doing a great job.

Chucky better not let all your secrets out , these guys are catching on fast. :) :lol: :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
That's exactly right catfish. I have gleaned so much information from all of you here that I feel like I'm in good hands always. I hope you all are proud of yourselves when you see the fruit of your tootlegde in others that seek it here. It's like your all looking over my shoulder while I'm working on the boat. That my friends is a good feeling!

Chuck I don't think it's down to a science yet but I try to listen and learn from all of you.

Thanks again!

Chad

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi tyer,

Mate that is just so wrong it is disgusting. You should be ashamed of your self. imagine that, sawdust on the floor.! :D

Oh yeah, nice job on the boat mate. lovely work. :D

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Yes Mick, It's disgusting. I think I have a little bit of OCD or something. I get all anxious when there is a mess on the floor! I think my lovely wife of 20 years might acctually have me trained! :oops: Sure hope she does'nt read this then she will think she has won that battle! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
cctyer said:
... I think my lovely wife of 20 years might acctually have me trained! :oops: Sure hope she does'nt read this then she will think she has won that battle! :wink:
NEVER let'em know that! We'll kick you off of Suthrin Piddler for a transgression so foul.

(The SHAME of it all!)