She takes a very SEXY shape!!! | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

She takes a very SEXY shape!!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This is the fun of building a boat and thinking about the steps in building it , each one is a work of art and not like another one made. I hope Romeo did not lose any hair in there but if he did you will be at a loss when telling anyone it was Jack and his beard , Man he would give anything to have it that black. :lol:

Dream on Jack , your beard has not been that shade for the last 200 years. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My beard was blonde, like all Viking beards that aren't red.

Tyer, just a suggestion. Next time, cut the ribs and have a continuous inwhale. Stronger that way. However, with it all glued together, your way may be pretty strong too. But, seams and joints are usually weak points. Fewer joints, fewer opportunities.

You're gonna like those ventilated gunnels. Good for draining water after a day's paddle, and handy for lashing gear into the boat. I run light lines back & forth from side to side so gear won't float out in case of an upset. It's part of the flotation. In camp, the lines can be sued for guy lines or clothes lines.

Chad- where did you find the door trim rubrails? I've looked at a couple of our local Lowe's megaplexes and couldn't find anything suitable...maybe Home Depot has better stuff?

Also, what were the length of your sides- the full 16 feet or something shorter? I'd expect less, or no, overhang on the ends of the rubrails if the sides started off at 16 feet.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
First, My friend Jack, Thank you for the advice on the inwales. I really loved the look of the end grain on the cypress after I rounded it off so I figured Why not go around! I am sure one continous inwale would be stronger like you said. I have gone to great lengthes to try and fit all the ends of the inwales at there perspective joint with the ribs as close as possible and hope after gluing it all up it will be plenty strong. I guess I should have thought a little more about strength in that respect. :?

Taw, I live right behind a local lumber yard (how sweet is that) and they carry 16' lengths of the door stop I used. I don't know if Lowes or Home depot carry it but try a small local lumber yard if you have one near. I really like the way it tapers down and rolls under at the bottom.
The boat as she sits is right at 15' excactly. Thanks for the intrest and good luck finding the door stop.

Chad

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Got her close to done. I have glued in the decks and all the inwales then made lots of shavings with the surform getting them shaped. Now i'm in the process of sanding and filling any gaps and then more sanding. but I can see the build part coming to an end. I still need to grafite the bottom fit and glue the grab bars in and finish my seat and after a good month put on the Z-spar varnish I got from RAKA. But it won't be long till all the detail work is done and I can get her wet then rig her up the way I want to use her! Until next time my friends.

gluing in the decks and inwales
P6200021.jpg

P6220023.jpg

shaping the inwales
P6270027.jpg

closer detail shot
P6220024.jpg

Hey Jack, the sides are considerably stronger after gluing all the pieces in and if I do this again I am going to just cut a notch in the ribs like you suggested. It's all good. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is one Sweet looking pirogue , I really like your idea of the wood doweling as spacers , that is sharp.

We are always learning from folks building boats , everyone comes up with good ideas that benefits all of us. This keeps up I will have to build another and use everyones ideas in the build so when I look at a part of the boat it will remind me of that person.

Guess you could call it a boat of many personalities and ideas. :D

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks Chuck, It means alot coming from you! I hope others take as much from this website and add to it as well. I know I have. :wink:

I thought the round disc spacers would serve a dual purpose! save some weight and being round nothing for the ropes to catch or drag on. Also leaves more space in between for dumping water. Every now and then I even suprise myself

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
Thanks Chuck, It means alot coming from you! I hope others take as much from this website and add to it as well. I know I have. :wink:

In that case then I would wish that you will put as much back into this forum and help the folks with questions. Ya have been there , done it and did not get the "T" Shirt. :lol: :lol: :lol: But you do have one dang good looking pirogue , I would be more then happy with it in my shop. Actually with that shine you have on it I might be a little scared to paddle it or get it dirty. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When your pirogue is done then if you would do me one small favor. Yep here it comes , crab your wallet and run for the hills. :lol:

Take some pictures ( If you can :roll: ) and sent them to the kit/plans maker in this case Uncle John. This way besides having your hand made , custom boat , on here it would be on his web site also.

This does several things , helps him , helps us and gives you all sorts of bragging rights which you deserve.

Someone asks , did you make that...... Yep , I sure did and here are the web sites (Plural not singular) where the boat is listed and one on how it was made.

I believe that when a person makes a boat then they need to give credit to the designer , that is why all of the ones I made are on Uncle Johns or Matt's , JEM Watercraft web sites. I am more then happy with them and if that lets someone else want to make one and be just as happy , why not spread the word.
What we are doing is to good to remain silent about , the pleasure is there , the fun when the boat is done and then all the good times enjoying it. Everyone always talks about the negative ....... NOT US. I think it is up to us to let the world know , if we don't then who will....... NO ONE. :twisted:

OK.. I will get off my soap box and go over and sit in the corner , do I have to wear that pointy hat?

Chuck.
PS. Besides the next time John and Bab's are over here in central Florida he owes me a BBQ dinner , I paid for the last one. :D But what do friends do for friends but have good times while we can. Now if we can just get Matt out of SC and on a river trip with this bunch of MISFITS on southernpaddler :? Yep someone called us by our real name when talking to a person..... MISFITS ... I like it. sort of sums it up in a nice ball and thinking about it he is one of us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misfits make better boats..... right (name withheld to protect all of us)

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks Kieth your talent is in another league!
Consider it DONE Chuck. I got plenty of info from Uncle John's site as well and as you said he is the designer! It would be my pleasure to have the pics posted there as well and give credit where it is due. As a matter of fact two of your boats posted there inspired me to build this one and I still go and look at that beautiful stripper pirogue you built it is just a work of Art. I drool at the site of it and the awsome paddle you made to accompany her.It's just sleek and very simple lines that makes her so nice
I find as the build is nearing the end that I have enjoyed the molding and shaping of the wood so much that I don't think I can stop at just one like many of you I am hooked. I will have to take a break for awhile and let my wife put her car back in the garage but in the future ther could be something else coming from these hands.

Bye the way, No need to get off the box chuck It's your website! I also need to get into the gift shop and some great southernpaddler gear

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
WHEN did we work our way up to being MISFITS? Haven't ever been that good. We're getting up in the world, ehh? Cookin' on the front burner!

(Jack.. Miracles do happen ...Ya just have to believe in them . :lol: Chuck)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad
Thank you for the kind words but we have builders on here that would make my pirogue hide behind a cypress tree. I did the stripper just to prove it could be done by someone who has a problem thinking and chewing gum at the same time , Please don't ask me to walk while trying to do the other two.:roll:

Now if they just enjoy there boats as much as I do we are all winners. :D

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ok guy's this build is winding down now! :cry: :lol: I am all but done and will post finale pics and maiden voyage as soon as I get them. For now these are of the very well designed and sturdy chair for the pirogue that The Chuckmiester and UJ supplied us with. All it needs is a finish sand and some protection. I also thought I would share this with all of you incase you have not tried this or your like me and don't own a real disc or belt sander. I just clamped my belt sander to the bench and it made quick work of sanding and shaping parts for the chair and the boat.

The rest are of the three coats of grafite going on and the last time i'll see the bottom wood an the boat.

I am waiting on the UPS delivery of my rack for the car today so I can get her to the lake for maiden voyage as well. She is getting wet this week for sure. TEE HEEE!!!!
P7050035.jpg

P7050036.jpg

P6290002.jpg

P6300011.jpg

P6300013.jpg

P7020021.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK...

I have to ask , Where do you work on your pirogue , out in the driveway and then take it in the shop for the pictures? That shop is just to clean.

I sure hope you like your boat and refuse to think about you not liking it , that would put all of us in some deep do-do. Just in case the negative happens and if Bear walks into your restaurant ( like he said he might do) remember it was all his idea. :p

If you are happy with it then it was everyone else's idea. Now if you want to I would be more then willing to give you $20.00 of Kayak Jacks money (it is some old , collectors, currency from the 1800's ) for the pirogue to keep you from having to make that decision. :roll:

Seriously when you get her wet how about providing some pictures for us in the Boat Bragging Section and I am sure Uncle John would like some for his web site , if that glare off of the shine you have on it does not blind him.

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
very, very nice

there'll be so many folks at the landing wanting to talk about it, it's going to take you thirty minutes to get it in the water

( Chuck stepping in here ... If he ever gets it in the water. )