She takes a very SEXY shape!!! | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

She takes a very SEXY shape!!!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
It's like your all looking over my shoulder while I'm working on the boat. That my friends is a good feeling!

Chad

1st I want to thank you for the pleasant comment in your post , most folks only cuss at us , now that I was nice it is time to be BAD.

The reason you have the feeling that we are watching over your shoulder is that we are , How else are we going to make sure you keep the shop spotless. :lol:

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Well guys I have moved forward and missed some good photo opportunities because my wife had the camera with her on a trip to Louisville this weekend. I have saturated the inside, sanded and sanded some more the outside, saturated it as well, sanded again, cut and fit glass for the bottom. glassed the bottom and trimed the excess and here are the results.

P6030026.jpg

P6030025.jpg

P6030027.jpg

I used a 9" foam roller cut in half for most of the work and a spreader for some small stuff and the edge were the glass met the rub rail. You might think I'm a little strange but after reading a lot of posts on this subject and learning from others, I found it to be no real trouble at all and dare I say almost enjoyable to do! I had a little trouble getting my overlap right on the stem and stern but added another piece last night to each during the second coat. I think it will need at least one more coat and then I can start the inside wich is I'm sure not as enjoyable.
I measured the glass left for the inside and I am going to be short so I'll need to order more from Larry. He sent me 8 yards I believe but I think 12 is what I needed. I will order some varnish while I'm at it.

Thanks for watching over my shoulder Guys!! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad

I hate to tell you this but I think all of us made a mistake in telling you about the process of building a boat..... In fact I know we made a mistake ... Yours is looking good like a pirogue should. We sure goofed up somewhere along the line , or you didn't listen to us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now the fun starts , the inside , but if you take your time it will come together. Yep it does take a little longer to do the inside since you are working against gravity and not with it.
I like to use the rollers on the flat areas and into the angles as far as I can ... then a (throw away) bristle brush to finish the joints , bow and stern.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tyer,

Nice looking so far.

I see hat you, like me, ended up in the middle of two fast growing sports - paddling and pedaling. Never in my Life was I ever "in fashion". Then - voila'! I was right in the middle of two growth movements. Right along side you. sigh

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the kind words Gents. It means a lot coming from such accomplished builders and paddlers as yourselves.

I used to ride all the time Jack. I even commuted on my bike to work when I lived in northern California, about 30 miles a day. It was at times very daunting riding amongest so many cars and trucks. I even had a few altercations that were not pretty over sharing a little piece of the road. :x I need to ride more, It was a great way to stay fit.
" Pappa The Italians are coming" (Breaking Away)
I love to watch the tour every year but it's amid such turmoil over the doping scandals that it's hard to know if any riders are truley what they seem. Even still the fact they ride such a greuling schedule for so long and over some of the highest peaks is so amazing to me even if you juice or not. I saw Greg LeMond ride through Lake Tahoe back when they still had the Coors classic and he was something else and probably one of the last non performance inhanced athletes you will ever see. I am rambling but I love cycling probably as much as some of you love paddling.

I'll get back to boating now! Thanks!

Chad

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I've been working on the Pirogue that last two days!

Here are the results of glassing the inside. I did it in two steps the two middle sections first yesterday before work and the bow and stern sections today. I'm starting to worry what I'll do when I'm done! Just kidding :lol: I'm sure I'll try to spend plenty of time out in her fishing and enjoying the water. Can't wait!

saturated and sanded
P6080003.jpg

center, bow and stern sections waiting for epoxy
P6080006.jpg

P6090010.jpg

all glassed and waiting to trim excess on the bow and stern
P6090012.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad

You Sly Fox ... You banmbusled us into thinking you have never made a wood boat in the past ..... Yep sucked us in like the morning milk.... No one does work like that on the 1st try. Heck a lot of us (myself included ) does not do that good of a job after several wood boats , take Jack for example .... NO BAD IDEA , forget I said that he is still having problems with his cat getting epoxied to his boats. Actually I don't think he has a cat and it is just the gray hair from his beard. :lol:

Ya do good on building wood boats , a natural talent for it. :D Actually looking at your shop (working area ) I would say you are a perfectionist and as a Chief that is to be expected. My Hat is off to you.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hold on a minute there guy's I resemble that remark! :wink:
Acctually this is and I swear on jack's cat my first time!
You guy's and this website are all I have for information. It is all right here in this forum. I also have not had any problems arise as yet, Knock on epoxied wood! So thank you all Again!
Now I am looking forward to the fun stuff after getting the glass work done. I am also working on the seat that Chuck designed for the boat.

Chuck, You cracked me up with Jack's cat and the beard comment! :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Hey, Chuck, I wouldn't compliment him all that much. He forgot to drill out a drain hole in the bottom of the boat. What's he gonna do now if any water gets in whilst he's out fishing fer his supper?

(Ya gotta remember to look at details, Chuckie.)

I bet Ole Yaker spotted it using only one eye. He's hawkish that way, he is. Bear's Buddy was plenty glad he had a drain hole in the bottom of his boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Hey, Chuck, I wouldn't compliment him all that much. He forgot to drill out a drain hole in the bottom of the boat. What's he gonna do now if any water gets in whilst he's out fishing fer his supper?

OK.. So I missed that minor detail and now I know why that -X- is on the bottom of my boat , I forgot the dang drain hole also. :oops:

Chuckles

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
No, Chuckie, the "X" marks your favorite fishing spot. Don't you remember the day you drew it there? If you drill a hole there, you'll never catch that many fish again.

MAN! Ya gotta lead this guy by the nose.

( is that why I look like Jimmy Durante...Chuck , Sorry folks you have to be 60 to know who he was )

MuddlerOH

Apr 24, 2007
Dayton Ohio
Tyer,

Wow, that looks great. It is almost enough to make me just turn those pieces of epoxyed wood in my garage into a big bonfire. My only way of coping is to take solace in the fact that you must have OCD and therefore you are to be pitied for those amazing boat building skills. I also take notes.

Mudd

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
OCD or just lucky the first time out! Don't get to down on yourself there Mudd. It can't be that bad that you want to build an expensive fire. What kind of shape is the boat in? I'm sure the fellas here can help you with any problems you may have. They always have some words of wit for anyone that asks. :wink:

Hope your boat is coming along well. Please Post some pics for us to see.

Chad

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I got some quality time in on the pirogue this past week. I might have created a bit more work for myself with my idea to use a wooden dowel cut into small spacers instead of square stock but I like how it's coming out so far. Although it was a lot of sanding and fitting the different angles it will hopefully be woth it. I have also cut and dry fit the decks and all the
inwales as well as saturated them. It's getting closer all the time :D

P6130005.jpg

lots of wooden coins (66 to be exact)
P6150013.jpg

a detail shot
P6150012.jpg

my first rider! This is Romeo my son and his girlfiends new pup. He is a Maltepoo and loves to play with my schnauzer. I was baby sitting.
P6130008.jpg