She takes a very SEXY shape!!! | SouthernPaddler.com

She takes a very SEXY shape!!!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Ok Guys it's actually looking like a boat now and man I really like her shape! Can't wait to get the ribs in and move on to the bottom. I think she is gonna have a very shapely bottom indeed. Here are some pics. :D

P5060011.jpg

P5060012.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As Jack would or likes to say. We take a couple of large pieces of wood , wake them into smaller ones , then take those and make them one piece again .... But the way we want it.

I always like the process when we make those pieces the way we want them and the end product is a ton of fun. :D

That super clean workshop still floors me , no sawdust , rubber gloves , paper towels , used containers of set up epoxy ...... It is just to clean , It is unnatural.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for all the encouragement fellas! I got the sideboards tied together with the stems and it just looked very sexy. I could not stop looking at her. It's like .....Dare I Say it?........... Falling in love! I am really stooked at the little pieces all becoming one nice piece. Also I got the plans in the mail today for the seat that Chuck designed and that will be my epoxy drying project.

You guys are right this could be habit forming!

P.S. Chuck, if you look in the second picture on the top of the tall dresser on the left, there is a cup with a used paint brush and epoxy in it that is set up. :lol:
But I have since thrown it out!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. What is the ratio of acetone to epoxy for coating the boat before glassing etc? Like how much acetone to each ounce of epoxy. Thanks ahead for any replies.

Chad

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the warning Jack, How right you are! I unfortunately found out just how explosive acetone vapors were some years ago when a good friend was cleaning some car parts in a tub in an underground garage and went up stairs to get something to eat when he returned and switched the light on!!!! BOOM.
He suffered third degree burns from his waist up and spent months in the burn unit having dead skin debris scrubbed off and getting skin grafts. I will never forget the horror stories he told.

Sorry to bring anyone down with this story, but Acetone is very dangerous stuff, especially as vapors. One spark is all it took. Acetone is made to disipate/evaporate very fast so you can take a powder that is flammable like gun powder or other oxidizers and mix it with acetone and shape or form it as needed then it can dry very fast and still be every bit as flammable or explosive in it's new form or packed into a container of sorts. Either way it is one of the most volitale materials you can buy over the counter.

Please be careful out there with this stuff and make sure your work area is well ventilated.

Ok I'm done

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I have a build question. On a three rib boat what are the drawbacks to putting the #2 and #3 ribs fore and aft about 6-7 inches? when I clamped them in to mark them I noticed a slight inward bow where they were clamped centered between the center rib and the bottom of the stems. My concern with making the span greater between the center and the #2 and#3 ribs is bottom strength getting in and out etc. Any thoughts here?
I want to get the ribs in but had this to ponder first!

Thanks in advance,

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad

I have never done that so I would be of no help to you. I always center the center rib and then center the two end ones between the center rib and the ends of the boat.

The way I see is that by using this placement you reinforce the bottom and sides at equal distances , plus they help to set the amount of rocker in the boat.
The ribs are attached to the side boards before the bottom is installed.

Some folks do use two center ribs spaced an equal distance apart and then put in the end ribs which would place them further towards the ends of the boat then with just one center rib.

WARNING....... When you get the ribs in then attach the outer rub rail to stiffen up the side boards or when you move the boat to put the bottom on you stand a chance of flexing the side boards and breaking a rib in the boat.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks Chuck, I kind of answered my own question by going back out to the garage and also clamping the outside rub rail in place and that took care of the slight bow inward at the #2 and #3 ribs. So It is centered for me also.

Hey, on a side note I talked to a friend yesterday that lives in The Orlando area and she said the fires down that way are real bad as well as the lovebugs you speak of. Here's to sending some of the rain we are getting your way soon. We have no lovebugs here in Arkansas but pretty much every other critter you can think of and if you think hitting bugs makes a mess try hitting one of our very prolific and very distructive to your yard and car Armadillo's they are like running over a railroad tie crossways in the road. They are one of my biggest fears when I'm out on the motorcycle with my wife.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The rails will straighten the sides out , the outside one will do a lot , as you noticed , then when the inner one is on the boat will have the right shape.

We have those Texas Turtles ( Armadillo's ) here as well. They can destroy the oil pan on a vehicle and if you are on a motorcycle , good luck.
Florida is a progressive state .... we have gone from 107 fires to over 200 at the last count. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I was riding to work in Louisiana one morning. the car ahead of me hit an armadillo, and he came rolling out from under the car tight in my path. I was doing about 35-40, and (quick like a bunny) just stood up on the pegs and let him roll underneath as the tires went over him bump bump!

dawallace45

The mob I get my epoxy from also sell a product called TPRDA [ Timber preservative and reactive diluent additive ] it's used to thin out the epoxy for the initial wetting out of the ply so it will soak in a bit better , most of the epoxy people I've talked to say stay right away from acetone as it evaporates too quick leaving microscopic holes in the epoxy , sort of honey combed , they reckon that instead of sealing the timber better it actually makes a pathway for water ingress

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
dawallace45 said:
...most of the epoxy people I've talked to say stay right away from acetone as it evaporates too quick leaving microscopic holes in the epoxy , sort of honey combed , they reckon that instead of sealing the timber better it actually makes a pathway for water ingress
OOOPPSS!! Now THERE'S a piece of news we can use. Thanks, David.