something different | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Yes Bear, we cover some of the grain, but we use more grain

I took a picture just so you'd remember

One think you do need to remember is to seal up all areas that will be inaccessible later on

Here's the insides of the aft deck

DSC05217.jpg

and here's the aft deck installed, waiting for the glue to dry

DSC05219.jpg

meanwhile friend Keith has a new (to him) Peter Wright to play with

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Top of the mornin' Steve,

How ya'll feelin'? I love wood grain. Hate paint 'er anythin' coverin' it up....but not on the kinda water I paddle. It iz like havin' the rite tool fer a job. Royalex weighs too much ta suit me, but I caint find nuthin' az tuff that weighs less.

regards
bearridge

ps Do like the Commodore sez.......stay on the rite side of the grass. [grin]

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. Crowfoot

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Don't be so hard on us Oyster, we ain't all young like you...

We used to get up in the morning and check the police records in the paper to be sure we didn't get hauled in for drunk driving but now we check the obits to be sure we're still alive

Anyway, put in the breasthook (bresthook?)

DSC05226.jpg

cut out the tops of the side ribs so the inside rail would fit, don't how many of you have a Fein Multimaster, but it is great for jobs like this

DSC05229.jpg

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Fien, The tools for professionals and rich folk. One of these days I'll have enough pennies saved up to get one. That Multimaster is the handiest thing going. It will do things nothing else will.
Bob

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Dang tool fanatics!!! My 12n1 12 thousand rpm four inch side grinder is all this old goat owns and calls on for most work. I bet it I brought that dang thing anyway close to me, my digits would be the first in line for its initial test. I am just not qualified on anything else but the old reliable grinder with a soft pad. NIce work even if its just one foot piece of wood for now three days of work. :lol: :p :p

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I've seen some of your scarf joints that you make with that side grinder - you're more than qualified on that tool :D

Today we put in the inner and outer top rails

DSC05235.jpg

We're close to building the really unique part of this project, the joug or rowing station

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
BR, you hit the nail on the pecan with something shiny

joey - it's a month of time but not a month of work. We spend about an hour or so every other day sanding and putting on a coat of varnish. I usually roll it on and Michaelangelo (aka friend Keith) tips it out with a brush - goes quickly. The roller lays down a thinner, more uniform coat than a brush, so there's less worry about runs.